Quote from: Blackout on May 09, 2021, 08:55:16 AM
Tool - Undertow

The mix on that album drives me wrong. It's like no matter how loud I turn it up it doesn't get any more powerful. Songs on it are good though for the most part.
There's a version on youtube called "undertow respectful remaster" which is far nicer to listen to. Just has a bit more oomph without doing anything obvious to the levels.

Godflesh - S/T on here for me. Bleak stuff. Disc 2 of In All Languages up next.

Deicide - Serpents of the Light

Forgot how great this one is. No filler to be found on it.

Their best album by far, totally vicious. The production really suits it, too.

Quote from: hellfire on May 09, 2021, 02:23:57 PM

It was the album that got me off the band  :-\
A, listening to some new Kenn Nardi song. It is great and unbelievably close to the greatness of the Anacrusis golden years.

Quote from: Carnage on May 09, 2021, 02:33:44 PM
Their best album by far, totally vicious. The production really suits it, too.

It was the first death metal album I heard and I still love it but that's ludicrous.

Quote from: warhead on May 09, 2021, 04:34:07 PM
Quote from: hellfire on May 09, 2021, 02:23:57 PM

It was the album that got me off the band  :-\
A, listening to some new Kenn Nardi song. It is great and unbelievably close to the greatness of the Anacrusis golden years.
Same.

Visigoth - The Conqueror's Oath
This sort of neo-trad-heavy-metal revival thing is something I'm late getting into, largely because I'm not the biggest fan of NWOBHM in general. Of the newer bands around I find they live or die on the strength of the vocals, as I've been put off many a catchy riffing album by the annoying warbling that goes over it. The vocals on this album are savage, projecting power to match the music and crucially doing some interesting and catchy melodics of its own.

Rory Gallagher- stage struck
Gary Moore- wild frontier
Thin lizzy - thunder n lightning
All original lps..unbelievable

Serpents is a solid output but definitely not Deicides best effort.

Quote from: londonleatherboy on May 09, 2021, 08:48:27 PM
Rory Gallagher- stage struck
Gary Moore- wild frontier
Thin lizzy - thunder n lightning
All original lps..unbelievable

Great listing 👍😎

Quote from: Blackout on May 09, 2021, 09:31:09 PM
Serpents is a solid output but definitely not Deicides best effort.

Their debut is not only Deicide's best album but one of the greatest death metal albums ever released.

#5022 May 09, 2021, 10:18:09 PM Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:36:09 PM by Carnage
I'd put the debut in third, with Once Upon The Cross in second. I was never blown away by them - my introduction was a C90 with Slowly We Rot on one side and Deicide's debut on the other, and it was Obituary who made an impression (I think I dismissed Deicide as 'morons with guitars) - though I came around to them later.

There's a viciousness to Serpents and Once that appeals to me more than their other material, and they're certainly more focussed albums IMO. To me the previous material were just warm ups for the main event(s). Legion in particular pales by comparison, I've always found that one a disappointment.

Would agree with the Debut being the best and Cross being a close second.

I was putting the debut in third, Serpents in first.