Always found the sound Cellar lads fairly sound and had a good few chats. I wouldn't dress "metal" either.

There was always a bit of a 'who's this culchie?' buzz to be fair, but nothing too bad. Only hassle I had there was from a pisshead calling me a nazi 'cos I was wearing a Burzum longsleeve, and he got booted out. They had their own clique though, that's a definite and there were certainly plenty of wankers in and out but the staff were generally alright.

#62 July 05, 2020, 12:05:51 AM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:51:42 PM by mugz

Quote from: Ducky on July 04, 2020, 09:48:33 PM
I had the opposite feeling of the Sound Cellar. Too trve poser twats. I remember going in there when I was 17 (which was an event for me because I'm from the west and heard so much about it) I bought Dirt and Reign in Blood on CD and they took the piss because I was dressed normally and buying 'mainstream' albums (two fucking all time classics FFS).

Sound lads, I'll just go to any of the other cool record shops in Dublin instead.

You should have seen their faces when I bought a Frontline Assembly album in there. They actually said it was shite while taking my money. I remember going to Anathema in Cork years ago and there was the lad from the Sound Cellar in the support band. I also remember on the old forum when someone thought McLove was the lad from the Sound Cellar.

I don't remember that. I have played in bands with him since 2004.

were you playing that anathema gig? I don't think it was that much of a deal, just a fella said he thought he knew who you were and were you the lad from the sound cellar. I remember the most random shit at times. He wasn't too far off anyway from the sound of things

No, that was Ray who drummed in Dreamsfear for a while with Cathal (he of Sound Cellar fame), and the three of us played in WOTH.

Quote from: astfgyl on July 05, 2020, 10:28:36 AM
You should have seen their faces when I bought a Frontline Assembly album in there. They actually said it was shite while taking my money.

Tommy would tell you his least favourite album was a "great record that one" if you were buying it. On the other hand, Cathal saved me quite a few ill-advised purchases by telling me they were shite. Swings and roundabouts!  :laugh:

Indeed. Rodge is probably the least elitist and most knowledgeable person you could hope to meet in terms of the vast world of metal and far beyond that too.

Can only imagine what folk who got a bad vibe off Sound Cellar must have thought about Sentinel  :laugh: :abbath:

It was actually that Cathal fella who warned me against the FLA album. Tommy is renowned for his "great album" thing. I never got a bad vibe off the place though, I used to love going in there. I couldn't go to Dublin without making the pilgrimage back in the day. Was Sentinel the one in Temple Bar?

Yeah.  Then it became Into the Void and moved to Whitefriar Place up off George's St.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 05, 2020, 11:56:48 AM
Can only imagine what folk who got a bad vibe off Sound Cellar must have thought about Sentinel  :laugh: :abbath:

I never found a bad vibe in Sentinel or Into the Void.

It was a regular talking point on MI back in the day.

I was never in Into The Void, but I was often in Sentinel over the years. Didn't buy much out of it though as I hadn't a clue what most of it was