Pretty sure I still have most of the last episode on a tape at home. Used to be great having something to look forward to other than Glenroe. haha. There was genuine excitment listening to the radio. Seems mental in this oversaturated, easy access day and age.

Listened to it most weeks and yeah he wasnt too knowledgeable, but looking back, it was amazing that our scene has a few hrs on national radio... heard so much stuff on it for the first time...

Unbelievable how many albums I purchased from just listening to one song from the Sound Cellar Top Ten. In Flames' Whoracle, Sentenced's Frozen, Hecate Enthroned's Slaughter of Innocence and Iced Earth's Something Wicked.... immediately spring to mind. Remember coming back from the Kilkenny v Laois and Wexford v Offaly Croke Park double-header in June 1998 where the local club from rural Wexford organised for the under ten hurlers to play against their Naas counterparts en route, attend the semi-finals and get treated with a McDonald's on the way home. 2FM was on the whole way down and miracle of miracles I was able to listen to the first hour of the Metal Show uninterrupted. That came to an abrupt halt when the first song played from the Sound Cellar Top Ten was none other than Marduk's Slay the Nazarene. The fact that most of the same youngsters would've been making their First Communion the following weekend probably didn't help. I had to pretend to be as equally disgusted with the broadcast as the parents who demanded the channel be changed. The driver who modelled himself on the Simpson's Otto eventually relented. To this day I've no idea how the same parents managed to decipher Marduk.

#34 July 02, 2020, 09:50:58 PM Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:57:40 PM by astfgyl
I think the metal show was a truly beautiful thing for me as a teenager. No matter what I was at, it was always "right lads, I'll see ye tomorrow in school, I'm heading off home to record the metal show"

Then go in to school the following morning to talk about the stuff we heard on it. Whatever I may think nowadays about the stuff that was played on it, it was still class to have it. It was the less is more thing that made it special. "So the top 10 was shit this week? Well fuck it I'll give the week listening to the tape all the same because it's all I can get me hands on of new stuff seeing as there was ne'er a tape stuck to the front of kerrang this week"

Clawfinger vs Biohazard by the way. lol I never thought I'd see it on here. I liked both of them back in the day as it happens but I own nothing by either of them any more and won't be buying any either but I'm tempted to lash on Use Your Brain on youtube this minute thinking about it.

Edit: I remember the lad out of One Minute Silence gave me one of those massive tour posters from when they supported Clawfinger on a euro tour and it was pride of place on my bedroom wall at the time. It was great to be so innocent.

Quote from: mugz on July 02, 2020, 02:08:46 PM

it started in 92 as others said, I think as a response to pirate radio, though in my head that period was mainly about rave music, there might have been pirate stuff for metal too.

There was a pirate station now and again from Wicklow (I think) Heard more Punk/Hardcore on it, but they did play metal.
Pretty sure Phantom played metal from time to time too.

There was a show in the very early 90s (I think) on the then called 'BLB' station (Bray Local Broadcasting), now called East Coast FM. Two lads who played the heavier stuff (Terrorizer for example).

I liked JK but he always sounded like someone who walked into the wrong studio and had to improvise on the spot, or maybe would have rather been at home. I also remember the theme tune, 'whole lotta rosie', not very metal. 

Loved this show 92 to probably 95, never realised it went on til the late 90s.
Remember the sound cellar top 10, basically it was made up of some stuff they wanted to shift as well as new releases!
Heard the Butthole Surfers for the first time as well as lots if great death metal,
Fair play JK obviously not a clue what he was at - some of the mispronounciations were hilarious - but he stuck at it.

#38 July 03, 2020, 01:49:04 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:49:51 PM by mugz

Back on the Clawfinger thing, I did indeed throw on Use Your Brain last night and regardless of the music, listening to the lyrical themes of racism and the rich/poor gap and general inequality it's funny to see how nothing really changes on those fronts, despite the general impression that society is progressing on the whole. Also some of the riffs weren't bad.

I bought Clawfinger's Deaf , Dumb and Blind and loved it. Biohazard's State Of The World Address is top class with How It Is being a favourite. No guilty pleasure shite. The sound cellar top ten scared the shit out of me. When I heard Waylander on it I didn't know what I was listening to.

I remember him interviewing Cormac Battle just after Kerbdog announced they were splitting and he must have asked Cormac the same question 3 or 4 times but reworded.

I'm sure I heard him saying something like "and that was a song by claw finger called.." then he'd scramble to pick up the cd and read it off the back.