Quote from: mickO))) on October 31, 2023, 12:39:57 PMI have a chance to see Adam Sandler doing standup next week. Anyone know if he is any good? My guess is probably not and I am not even really a fan of his films. He is one of those comedians you won't ever see touring Europe and tickets aren't too bad they work about €60 for the cheap seats so not sure if I should bother with it or not? Anyone familiar with his live stuff?

I would say not. I never got his schtick.

There's a recent special on Netflix (I think) that will give you an idea of it.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on November 01, 2023, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: mickO))) on October 31, 2023, 12:39:57 PMI have a chance to see Adam Sandler doing standup next week. Anyone know if he is any good? My guess is probably not and I am not even really a fan of his films. He is one of those comedians you won't ever see touring Europe and tickets aren't too bad they work about €60 for the cheap seats so not sure if I should bother with it or not? Anyone familiar with his live stuff?

I would say not. I never got his schtick.

There's a recent special on Netflix (I think) that will give you an idea of it.

Thanks I will check it out.

Pouah, this new Ricky Gervais is a struggle. Not so much comedy as the embodiment of cynicism exhausted and soiling itself.

I watched it the other night but can remember nothing whatsoever from it, which says enough really.

Not exactly stand up but I still enjoy the old Ricky Gervais podcasts, including the Ricky Gervais guides, and especially the older XFM shows. Not necessarily for Gervais but for Karl Pilkington (who may or may not be 'in character', or if he was it was much later on).

New Dave Chapelle special is pretty average.

Watched it last night. Less of a chore than the new Gervais is about the best I can say for it.

Heading over to Galway to see Frankie Boyle later. Generally I can take or leave him and probably wouldn't have bothered myself but the tickets were a birthday present so what harm, it should be a bit o' craic. I'm looking forward to it anyway, I haven't been to a comedy gig for a while (Chapelle in the Point about a year and a half ago).

I just watched the most recent Kevin Bridges special (The Overdue Catch Up), good as always. I saw a preview show for that tour a couple of years ago, not a lot nade it into the final show but it's worth a look either way.

The Ali Siddiq "Domino Effect" series of stand-up shows is really excellent. Chronicles his life from living with his accountant/cocaine-dealer father, through to his own teenage criminal enterprises, on to being locked up for coke trafficking just after he turned 19 and his life in prison.

I've watched the first three so far. The fourth was just released.

All on YouTube.   

#310 July 19, 2024, 10:48:01 AM Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 10:51:30 AM by StoutAndAle
Bob Newhart died. I wasn't very familiar with his work beyond the big bits, the phonecall stand-up etc.

Shelley Berman (Larry's dad in early "Curb Your Enthusiasm"), to his dying day, said that Newhart stole the phone routine from him.

However - I love Don Rickles who was Newhart's lifelong close pal. Newhart has a story about his wife seeing Rickles on stage for the first time that's one for the ages.

Newhart and Rickles were both working on the scene and Don invited Bob and his wife to come have dinner while he was doing a residency in Las Vegas (or Atlantic City or somewhere).

The Newharts went to dinner with Don and his, Barbara, prior to Rickles going on to do his show.

Newhart's wife, Ginnie, pulled Bob's sleeve as they entered the auditorium where they were sat in the front front and said "I knew you were over exaggerating about Don Rickles, like you always do. He's a perfectly nice man. He's a sweetheart."

Newhart stayed quiet.

Rickles arrives on stage to his usual matador music and takes the mic.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for being here tonight. A packed room. My heart swells. It's good to see so many familiar faces, including in the front row where we have a famous hack comedian from Chicago and his whore wife from New York."

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

😄 Savage. Rickles was an absolute legend.

I feel like I've been saying this with every new Stewart Lee special for the last four or five, but the latest, Basic Lee, really is his most oriented directly to his fan base. Who he rips on more mercilessly than ever. Maybe not as good overall as the last few, but if you know you know: the peaks just cripple you  :laugh:  :laugh:

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 19, 2024, 07:19:34 PMI feel like I've been saying this with every new Stewart Lee special for the last four or five, but the latest, Basic Lee, really is his most oriented directly to his fan base. Who he rips on more mercilessly than ever. Maybe not as good overall as the last few, but if you know you know: the peaks just cripple you  :laugh:  :laugh:

I thought that "Basic Lee" was as good as his best. I really, really enjoyed watching it at the weekend.

I saw him do it live in London last December - the crux of the show is the same as the recorded version but obviously his improv sections are different. The t-shirt thing, for example, was much better than it is on the video (probably because most people had band shirts on).

My wife, who is not a fan of Lee's comedy at all, I normally go to see him on my own. But she saw "Basic Lee" with me in Leicester Square and said that she connected with/enjoyed it far more than "Vegetable Stew"/"Carpet Remnant World" - the other two that she has seen live.

Quote from: Carnage on April 18, 2024, 04:16:52 PMHeading over to Galway to see Frankie Boyle later. Generally I can take or leave him and probably wouldn't have bothered myself but the tickets were a birthday present so what harm, it should be a bit o' craic. I'm looking forward to it anyway, I haven't been to a comedy gig for a while (Chapelle in the Point about a year and a half ago).

He played locally where I live back in January. A few mates were going and my cousin was involved in part of the organisation for it so I headed along. I have never really liked him as he always came across as his whole thing was trying to be as offensive as possible whether it was funny or not. I also remember something a few years ago about him going all PC which is the opposite of what I thought he was suppose to be. The show wasn't bad he said a few funny bits but his crying about Ricky Gervais was petty and annoying.

I saw Ricky last time he was here and it was one of the best live stand up shows I have ever seen. I literally had water coming out of my eyes I was laughing that much so Frankie's crying just comes across as jealousy of how much better Ricky is.