Is it on Netflix? Moving in to a news place in a week or so and will get reconnected. Could do with a dose of Stew.

It's on Now TV and/or Sky catch up.

And other places.

I just watched Basic Lee and it's excellent, as Lee as it gets - for the first hour. The last 20-30 mins. is absolute torture, once he starts talking about background music and jazz it's nigh on unwatchable, too self-indulgent. A shame as the rest is magnificent.

Frankie Boyle is a pain in the hole.

Quote from: Carnage on August 20, 2024, 06:30:48 PMI just watched Basic Lee and it's excellent, as Lee as it gets - for the first hour. The last 20-30 mins. is absolute torture, once he starts talking about background music and jazz it's nigh on unwatchable, too self-indulgent. A shame as the rest is magnificent.

This pretty much sums up my reason for feeling it's the most narrowly aimed at his core fans so far. I enjoyed it, got the idea behind it, and I'd say it worked better live, but pretty easy to see how he'd lose a lot of more casual audience at that point. Too much.

#320 August 21, 2024, 11:57:33 AM Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 11:59:23 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 21, 2024, 11:17:04 AMThis pretty much sums up my reason for feeling it's the most narrowly aimed at his core fans so far. I enjoyed it, got the idea behind it, and I'd say it worked better live, but pretty easy to see how he'd lose a lot of more casual audience at that point. Too much.

Yeah, I have to say that the "imagine jazz" bit worked better when I saw it in person (and there wasn't a sax player at the London gig either).

Probably because Lee interplayed with the audience more during it, in between each rant he would do things like point at someone and go "Ragtime is not what we're going for here, sir" and "You, madam - we'll try you on your own. Imagine a jazz piece... Are you doing it? Oh here it is... Wow! OK everyone else imagine that bit".

The "Leave Her Alone" fella's attitude towards crowdwork on the recorded version from Manchester seemed to change the way Stew went about that bit somewhat. To be fair, if the man was offended by his wife getting asked a question about Harry Potter then he better not sit in the front row for a Doug Stanhope/Jimmy Carr show.

The bit that broke my missus was the Monday... Tuesday... gag. I could see her lose all the goodwill that was built up. Meanwhile, I cackled along with the rest of the converted that went of their own volition.

Yeah, I'm a fan but not hardcore, and he lost me there.

Tommy Tiernan is on Richard Herring's podcast this week - well worth a listen - some great tales and plenty of craic. You can almost hear Herring shifting uncomfortably in his seat at one point.

Tommy was also on Bill Burr's podcast last week. He might as well have not been there at all. I love Bill Burr but, Jesus Christ, he rambled on for over an hour barely letting Tiernan into the conversation - even going so far as to talk/shout over him.

Burr is obviously self-aware because he said at one point "I'm supposed to be interviewing you but I'm doing all the talking" and then carried on rambling about smoking cigars and his own life.

I enjoyed the dynamic between Tommy and Bill but ya, Bill was waffling.

Quote from: open face surgery on August 29, 2024, 09:57:31 AMI enjoyed the dynamic between Tommy and Bill but ya, Bill was waffling.

Did you not think that for vast swathes of it Tommy was just going "Hmm" and "Yeah..." ? At point he was was almost like Bill's therapist "And how did that make you feel?".

If they just riffed a bit more it would have been great, you could hear them cooking a few times. Though Tiernan didn't help matters out of the gate by trying to do that airy-fairy "po-eh-tree" of Oireland shit that he's prone to either. 

I think that's Tommy's inquisitive nature but I completely understand what you're saying. There wasn't a flow to the conversation.

Quote from: open face surgery on August 29, 2024, 03:12:25 PMI think that's Tommy's inquisitive nature but I completely understand what you're saying. There wasn't a flow to the conversation.

Yeah. Tommy is also on Greg Fitzsimmon's podcast - and it's way better than the Burr one. The two of them absolutely fly off each other. Absolutely cracking stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6jYAMWedeWWdMYpHhQ9aJu?si=cee34d81209c48b0

And I noticed now that he's also on David Cross' show. (I only discovered the David Cross podcast 2 weeks ago). Tommy is really going for it in promoing these US tour dates.

I liked the Bill Burr natter. I must have a listen to the others.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 20, 2024, 11:22:52 AMIs it on Netflix? Moving in to a news place in a week or so and will get reconnected. Could do with a dose of Stew.

Stewart Lee - "Basic Lee - Live at The Lowry" - on YouTube.

Might want to get on it sooner rather than later - I imagine that it'll be taken down fairly sharpish again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdTuCA9o0WQ

Nice one. That's amazing. He really is a level above.