I have to look this guy up. Is he funny as well as being offensive? I find if it's just endless misery and spite it can get a bit tedious, but if there's actual creativity in the mix I'm on board.

Someone should have non fatally stabbed him, then he would have become a hero of free speech and uncancellable.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 18, 2022, 12:43:35 AMI have to look this guy up. Is he funny as well as being offensive? I find if it's just endless misery and spite it can get a bit tedious, but if there's actual creativity in the mix I'm on board.
Flat out offensive.  There are jokes, but it's full on cause the most offence.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 18, 2022, 02:18:35 AMA dig at Rushdie??

No, not at all. I'm sure if someone had shot Jerry Sadowitz dead during his first night show everyone would be clamoring to say what a tragedy to freedom of expression it was too. But then he'd be dead and unable to do the second night anyway. Just a dig at the bleedin' hypocrisy of it all, ya know!

#187 August 18, 2022, 12:08:56 PM Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 12:15:03 PM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Makeshiftatomsmasher on August 18, 2022, 05:05:07 AMFlat out offensive.  There are jokes, but it's full on cause the most offence.

He's not the best comedian I've ever seen but I think that there are plenty of very funny gags in Sadowitz's work in amongst all the purposefully offensive stuff. He's really quick off the cuff too - he doesn't have a filter for his ad-libs which is probably a plus and a minus at the same time for someone like him.

He's like a cross between Malcolm Hardee and Frankie Boyle.

Called out Jimmy Savile for what he was 35 years ago too.

Dave Chappelle tonight, he was pretty good.  Referenced some of the trans backlash, inevitably, but had some new material on the subject. Short though, I doubt he was onstage for an hour.

Had 3 supports, all short sets, 10-20 mins. First guy I missed his name, was hit & miss. Then Michelle Wolf, she was terrible, and largely bombed. After about 10 mins. the woman behind me said "I feel sorry for her now", which just about summed it up. Third guy was Donnell Rawlings, who was on Chappelle's Show. Took a while to warm up but was good once he got going.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 18, 2022, 06:43:25 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 18, 2022, 02:18:35 AMA dig at Rushdie??

No, not at all. I'm sure if someone had shot Jerry Sadowitz dead during his first night show everyone would be clamoring to say what a tragedy to freedom of expression it was too. But then he'd be dead and unable to do the second night anyway. Just a dig at the bleedin' hypocrisy of it all, ya know!

Have you seen that lad Sadowitz? Heard he was cancelled etc but its hard to find videos of him, I wouldn't mind seeing what the fuss is about.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on September 15, 2022, 03:12:39 AMHave you seen that lad Sadowitz? Heard he was cancelled etc but its hard to find videos of him, I wouldn't mind seeing what the fuss is about.

I've seen Jerry Sadowitz live twice. Once in the late-90s and again about 10 years ago. He was very good both times. His close-up magic stuff is incredible.

There's hardly anything of him video-wise because his work doesn't sit comfortably with a lot of people. He made light of this in one of the shows that I saw him at.

"My management company said to me 'Jerry are you not interested in selling DVDs?'. I thought to myself 'Christ, I'd sell more DVDs working in a sex shop for blind Jesuits'"

Worked at Jack Dee about 2 weeks ago, enjoyed that, Doug Stanhope last Sunday which I thought was savage. Jimmy Carr this Fri, Sat and Sun. 6 shows could be overkill.

Quote from: open face surgery on September 15, 2022, 03:49:46 PMWorked at Jack Dee about 2 weeks ago, enjoyed that, Doug Stanhope last Sunday which I thought was savage. Jimmy Carr this Fri, Sat and Sun. 6 shows could be overkill.

Jack Dee's recent show here in Cork was cancelled due to poor ticket sales - pain in the hole - didn't realise it until a few days before when I noticed a refund in my bank account. Couldn't justify the expense of a trip to Dublin to see him.

Ditto the Doug Stanhope gig which I had a ticket for but Garth Brooks had made shit of any plans to go to Dublin that weekend. Gutted to miss that one.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on June 18, 2020, 01:43:08 PMYup, all the aimless roaring and swearing turned me off Tiernan for a long time. Not the fact that he was swearing but more that he was doing it to almost pad out his stage time. Sort of like;

"Why did the chicken cross the road? Yeh FUCKIN' HOO-ER of a FUCKIN' chicken yeh! FUCKIN' STRUTTIN' IN HE-OOR ACTING THE BIG FUCKIN' MAN. Crossin' the FUCKIN' ROAD. Look at this FUCKIN' CHICKEN FUCK!"

But when I saw him last February he was low key (for Tommy) and as funny as in his early days. Just told his stories and got great laughs.

I caught Tommy Tiernan's show in Waterford on Saturday - the 3rd and final night of a three date sold-out run.

It was poor enough in comparison to the last time that I saw him in February 2020. A few (very few) great little bits, gags and one whip-smart interaction with a heckler but an awful lot of him resorting back to screaming and swearing to stretch out his hour.