"Of course like many others our finances and prospects for the summer were devastated by the virus. Cancelling the tour has left us in a lot of debt.
We don't have money anymore.
Not to pay the road crew, the bus company, the merchandise costs. It was all broken by this cancellation.
We cannot get summer jobs in this lockdown period. Therefore We are broke. We all have rent to pay. None of us own homes."

It's a sad state of affairs when a really well-established band has to resort to a Go Fund Me campaign as a casualty of this Covid 19. Fellas well into their 40s talking about not being able to get summer jobs. That is highly depressing read.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/were-home-because-were-home?utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet

I'm more surprised they've racked up over £4,000 in only an hour tbh! There'll be a wave of it now I guess, since virtually every touring band will be in the same boat, including many who are even bigger pulls than Anathema.

They should have stuck to the doom death.  That's all I'm saying.

It's only the last coupla albums that their lighter/proggier stuff has annoyed me. But to see a band I've listened to for not far off as long as Metallica etc to be so close to the proverbial breadline is kinda mad to see. I'd have thought they'd all have mortgage-free houses anyway. They do loads of festivals every year, fairly close to top billing, so I'd have thought they'd be comfortable, if not necessarily wealthy. Danny Cavanagh is a bit of a whinger too, so could be making it out to be worse than it is.

Mayhem caught big style too - Meant to start a major US tour (with Abbath) tonight I think but all called off last minute. They're not doing a Gofundme but are asking people to buy the tour merch (they're stuck with thousands of T shirts and -ironically enough - Mayhem face masks). Made the point that the major costs of touring are mostly upfront and they're 70 grand in the hole cancelling at this stage. Still, I'd imagine they can weather it better than most bands as they seem to be doing very well these days (they fly business class!).

LOL re Mayhem face masks!! Business class =  :abbath: is fair surprising

Be interesting to see how creative some bands get and how some may just ask for money and do nothing.
I mean you can't exactly ask for money and sit on your hole and not do anything.  ie exactly what Devin is doing.. sticking content up at the same time and not just.. log in 'give us money' and logs back in to check every day how much is there.

Quote from: Aborted on March 20, 2020, 09:50:55 PM
Be interesting to see how creative some bands get and how some may just ask for money and do nothing.
I mean you can't exactly ask for money and sit on your hole and not do anything.  ie exactly what Devin is doing.. sticking content up at the same time and not just.. log in 'give us money' and logs back in to check every day how much is there.
Eh? He's already put out two songs and is planning other things

Quote from: Emphyrio on March 20, 2020, 08:03:11 PM
It's only the last coupla albums that their lighter/proggier stuff has annoyed me. But to see a band I've listened to for not far off as long as Metallica etc to be so close to the proverbial breadline is kinda mad to see. I'd have thought they'd all have mortgage-free houses anyway. They do loads of festivals every year, fairly close to top billing, so I'd have thought they'd be comfortable, if not necessarily wealthy. Danny Cavanagh is a bit of a whinger too, so could be making it out to be worse than it is.
Yeah Im shocked its that bad for them as they usually have very healthy crowds at their gigs and thought they would have been somewhat financially comfortable.
Anyone know why Jamie left ?

Probably a dumb question but is there no type of insurance that would mitigate against this. Festivals can get insurance against uncalled for cancellations as far as I'm aware.

Luca turilis rhapsody got massive backlash for starting one!

Quote from: Trev on March 20, 2020, 10:40:01 PM
Quote from: Aborted on March 20, 2020, 09:50:55 PM
Eh? He's already put out two songs and is planning other things

Not referring to Anathema specifically, just bands etc in general.

No, I meant Devin has put out two songs already and says he'll be releasing more in the next few weeks, and starting livestreams and podcasts

Quote from: blessed1 on March 21, 2020, 09:40:33 AM
Luca turilis rhapsody got massive backlash for starting one!

Being Italian, not so surprising.