So I wanted to listen to some Dissection and I banged this album on (since its the only one on Spotify) and was completely blown away by it! I'd avoided it due to bad word of mouth, and for sure it sounds absolutely nothing like the 90s albums, but it's got a great classic metal feel to it, lots of crunchy riffs and cool lead guitar work. Their Heartwork maybe.

Anyone else like it? 

It obviously doesn't come close to the past work, but I like it myself. Has some good tunes on it, from a musicianship point of view anyways. Definitely not as bad as people make it out to be.

Can't get into it. Maith an cailin is the best song and that's hampered by that line.

Niew Serpent Noir has a song with a similar title and is actually incredibly reminiscent of Reinkaos as well. Still sounds like maith an cailin.

Gets bad reviews but I think its an excellent album and has aged well.
The somberlain and Storm of the lights bane are their best work.
Spin Reinkaos regularly though,its a solid album.

Didnt like it when it came out but it grew on me over the years. It sounded so like the Jester Race when it came out for some reason to me... but that said, I had totally worn out their early releases and these days I put on Reinkaos more than the others...

Yeah wasn't really feeling it initially,but grew on me over the years.

Quote from: open face surgery on March 04, 2020, 09:45:36 PM
Can't get into it. Maith an cailin is the best song and that's hampered by that line.

Niew Serpent Noir has a song with a similar title and is actually incredibly reminiscent of Reinkaos as well. Still sounds like maith an cailin.

I won't be able to unhear that!  Always makes me think of the "Khali Mai" heart rip scene from the Temple of Doom. 

Never could care for it but my opinion of it is probably tainted by their first 2 albums.

The lyrics have a huge part to play in why I don't like it. It's all very Voldermort, preachy or something, hard to take too seriously. Maha Kali in particular they played in Dublin and it was such a downer, couldn't wait for it to finish. Starless Aeon aswell should be cool but again it's got this latin thing going on, like the Hindu stuff on Maha Kali that just sounds forced. The content doesn't seem to reflect the sound is what I'm saying I suppose. It sounds like they wanted to rock out and write Iron Maiden type songs but were stuck with this whole background and spiritual baggage that they were trying to stay true to.

I don't like it either. Can't sit through it. Awful sound, riffs, vocals, lyrics, vibe to my ears.

Been a while since I spun the classic first two. They seem to split opinion as well amongst the BM crowd. But I'm a fan of that melodic Swedish stuff if it has enough of an edge.

Quote from: Pedrito on March 06, 2020, 11:06:13 AM
The lyrics have a huge part to play in why I don't like it. It's all very Voldermort, preachy or something, hard to take too seriously. Maha Kali in particular they played in Dublin and it was such a downer, couldn't wait for it to finish. Starless Aeon aswell should be cool but again it's got this latin thing going on, like the Hindu stuff on Maha Kali that just sounds forced. The content doesn't seem to reflect the sound is what I'm saying I suppose. It sounds like they wanted to rock out and write Iron Maiden type songs but were stuck with this whole background and spiritual baggage that they were trying to stay true to.

If you read any of the material that the lyrics are based on you would see that they are actually very well written. It's not Latin that's in Starless Aeon it's part of a chant.

really disliked this when it came out and i remember being puzzled when they played maha kali on the tour. but i did revisit it few years later and enjoyed it, actually really like it now, doesn't get many spins but every so often i will throw it on!

I love the album personally but i was always a big melodic death metal fan and that's pretty much what the album is. Its definately a big change from first 2 albums so must've been a disapointment to the older fans but I return to it a lot.

Quote from: mickO))) on March 09, 2020, 09:33:37 PM

If you read any of the material that the lyrics are based on you would see that they are actually very well written. It's not Latin that's in Starless Aeon it's part of a chant.

It's not that they aren't well written, it's the fact that it sounds like a load of bloated nonsense. No nuance, no mystique, preachy, stuck up it's own arse, but again that's only MY perception. On the earlier albums the lyrics/vocals were far more hidden within the mix, less clear, they suited the intensity of the music, on Reinkaos it's all out the front and just does nothing for me. Maybe others get something out of that kind of thing, to each their own etc.

Quote from: Pedrito on March 10, 2020, 11:09:12 AM
Quote from: mickO))) on March 09, 2020, 09:33:37 PM

It's not that they aren't well written, it's the fact that it sounds like a load of bloated nonsense. No nuance, no mystique, preachy, stuck up it's own arse, but again that's only MY perception. On the earlier albums the lyrics/vocals were far more hidden within the mix, less clear, they suited the intensity of the music, on Reinkaos it's all out the front and just does nothing for me. Maybe others get something out of that kind of thing, to each their own etc.

The lyrics from the first two albums were not really based on the teachings of the ToTBL and it was in fact another member of the order that wrote them for Reinkaos while Jon mostly wrote the lyrics on the first two albums. I know what you mean about them being out front in the album mix and my guess is that was the intention knowing now the events that followed the release of the album.

The ironic thing is Dissection brought way too much unwanted attention to the ToTBL from metal fans so they got rid of their website and faded into obscurity with the exception of the Iranian guy that was arrested for the murder with Jon who has written four books so far and as far as I know has another one coming out next year.

Even if you look at the inlays for the first two albums it says something along the lines of Dissection is only a vehicle for the ToTBL (Or MLO as it would have been known of at the time) I can't remember the exact quote it's been years since I have seen the cd.

The style of music on Reinkaos is a style I usually hate but for some reason I love this album. Storm is my favourite Dissection album but Reinkaos would be the one I listen to most.