He is probably right to be fair. Also being the only person on here who has actually experienced Covid 19, he has a better angle on it than I do, certainly.

There are some charts here I have been looking at on a twitter thread that deserve a bit of analysis all the same. I must check where he is getting them from but if they hold up there are serious questions.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrahamNeary/status/1305474317598240769

And as an aside, I've just heard Ryan Tubridy say "The vaccine is coming, it's nearly there". Should we not be planning for that not actually happening and beefing up the health service instead of relying on the 2 birds in the bush? Also, the idea keeps getting spun that it is the fault of the people for not behaving when everything points to it being seasonal in nature and so it is not the fault of the people or the government that the figures are going up. Saying people did well to control it or saying they misbehaved is fairly bollix either way it's looked at, if the seasonal nature of it is accepted.

Quote from: astfgyl on September 18, 2020, 09:53:20 PM
He is probably right to be fair. Also being the only person on here who has actually experienced Covid 19, he has a better angle on it than I do, certainly.

There are some charts here I have been looking at on a twitter thread that deserve a bit of analysis all the same. I must check where he is getting them from but if they hold up there are serious questions.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrahamNeary/status/1305474317598240769

And as an aside, I've just heard Ryan Tubridy say "The vaccine is coming, it's nearly there". Should we not be planning for that not actually happening and beefing up the health service instead of relying on the 2 birds in the bush? Also, the idea keeps getting spun that it is the fault of the people for not behaving when everything points to it being seasonal in nature and so it is not the fault of the people or the government that the figures are going up. Saying people did well to control it or saying they misbehaved is fairly bollix either way it's looked at, if the seasonal nature of it is accepted.

Are you sure its seasonal? I suspect it's  more a case of that once you open up the virus spreads again. So are we heading for a series of openings followed by regional lockdowns until a vaccine comes along. Also, as you suggest Turbridy is a bit unwise to be  portraying a vaccine as the silver bullet that will be along shortly,

A vaccine wiill take time to administer. Also we don't how long it will give protection for.

Yeah of course nothing is fully confirmed but the evidence points to seasonality. Using Sweden as the test, who never locked down, their curve of deaths folowed the same trajectory as all of the countries who did lock down. I posted a video back a bit which goes through this in detail, and the chap in question seems to regularly update it. Here is the latest version which I haven't seen but which seems to be addressing someone dismissing his analysis as pseudoscience into the bargain. Don't knock it til you watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKIr425b40

Quote from: astfgyl on September 18, 2020, 09:13:02 PM

I've just seen on RTE's nightly dose of fear that Ireland has the lowest number of ICU beds per capita in Europe. Why was that not increased dramatically in the six months since this began here? It's shit like that that makes me want to bang my head against the wall as well.
Basically because they can't. Most ICU's were already dangerously understaffed, and to work there requires a separate diploma in addition to the nursing degree so it's not just simply a case of moving people from a regular ward to ICU

So when someone mentioned earlier how we escaped relatively unscathed from the financial crisis, we really didn't and this is just further reinforcing it. We've been left with a crippling health service with fewer people to work it, after years of newly qualified graduates emigrating at the first chance to escape the shitshow

It's a very good point about health staff Trev. I was giving it the usual banter of glass half full, it didn't kill us type thing, but that's a very good point.

Quote from: Trev on September 18, 2020, 10:11:25 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 18, 2020, 09:13:02 PM

I've just seen on RTE's nightly dose of fear that Ireland has the lowest number of ICU beds per capita in Europe. Why was that not increased dramatically in the six months since this began here? It's shit like that that makes me want to bang my head against the wall as well.
Basically because they can't. Most ICU's were already dangerously understaffed, and to work there requires a separate diploma in addition to the nursing degree so it's not just simply a case of moving people from a regular ward to ICU

So when someone mentioned earlier how we escaped relatively unscathed from the financial crisis, we really didn't and this is just further reinforcing it. We've been left with a crippling health service with fewer people to work it, after years of newly qualified graduates emigrating at the first chance to escape the shitshow

Yep, no arguments there whatsoever and I hope someone (who can actually do something about it) can see this. Nobody saw this covid thing coming, but now it is a thing it needs to be looked at on a level like that, where somebody realises that you can't cut the health service to pieces and it not cost anything. The true cost of the decimation of services in this country after 2008 is being counted right now, and it is not coming cheap. Unfortunately, the knock on effect of that seems like it is to be the cost of the covid response, which is being touted as being in the tens of billions. What will be cut to death this time? We can all clearly see it shouldn't be healthcare but something will have to give.

#1583 September 19, 2020, 07:43:38 AM Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:54:34 AM by Juggz
Iran is starting it’s third wave, having had a second wave in June/July which would contradict the idea of it being seasonal.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/iran-coronavirus-third-wave-resurgence-infections
https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/452503/Third-wave-of-COVID-19-looming-in-Iran

All the sheeple in Iran being oppressed!!!1!! It's just a cold!

#1585 September 19, 2020, 12:48:53 PM Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 01:02:58 PM by astfgyl
searched Iran deaths graph covid there and looked at their curves for infections and deaths. Oddly, their rate of infections has been fairly stable, but the deaths have peaked and troughed. I wonder what's the deal with that. It might be worth looking at their regular curve for sick season to see how it compares.

Then the Tehran Times article said this:

QuoteMohammad Reza Shanehsaz, head of the Food and Drug Administration, has warned that the nation needs to prepare for a 'second and third wave' of coronavirus in October and November until a vaccine is developed.

"There is no doubt that the second and third waves of the virus will hit the country," he stated.

So is it the second wave, third wave or they anticipate a second or third wave or what is it they mean?

Edit: Another thing. The notion of it being seasonal in nature means that it will be expected to climb in numbers here any time around now, but if the idea of there not being as many of the most susceptible folks around to get it this time around is sound, it shouldn't get to the same levels of deaths and hover around somewhere in the normal expected range. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, I think everyone should continue to observe personal hygiene protocol, avoid crowded indoor spaces, and be especially mindful of the old and infirm. There will certainly be no harm in doing any of that.

Quote from: Ducky on September 19, 2020, 12:09:50 PM
All the sheeple in Iran being oppressed!!!1!! It's just a cold!
They should've worn face bikinis.

Just reading there that hospital bed occupancy from covid patients is up to 21% now in Madrid. Looked up that Doctor Luis de Benito who gave the interview all the anti-s latched onto and generalized a month back, but he doesn't seem to have said anything since; everything he stated in that video is now no longer - locally at least - the case apparently.

I didn't think he was saying it wasn't a thing in itself, more that it was being over-hyped by the media. The numbers being higher now doesn't exactly take anything from the validity of what he was saying at the time as it seemed he was only calling it as it was and trying to expose the media for what they were doing. Their shouting down of his opinion and also their cutting of his interview showed them for what they are. If the reporting of this was more balanced, I don't even think there would be an anti side to much of an extent, and it is debatable if governments would have responded in the same fashion.

I'd still like to hear what he has to say this minute all the same

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 19, 2020, 03:03:43 PM
Just reading there that hospital bed occupancy from covid patients is up to 21% now in Madrid. Looked up that Doctor Luis de Benito who gave the interview all the anti-s latched onto and generalized a month back, but he doesn't seem to have said anything since; everything he stated in that video is now no longer - locally at least - the case apparently.

He was interviewed in July/August when no schools were ack, half of Madrid had left on holidays. They were running a doom narrative and he was saying that in the current moment there was no high levels etc. They're issollaaating certaiin areas in Madrid now, baes being shut, parks etc. I can't help but feel adolescents and young adults are a major issue..massive house parties, knacker drinking etc. Kinda don't blame the tbh but they seem to be the source everyone is pointimg to. Also poorer neighbourhoods where people live in tiny apartments and ffs they need to get out on the street to live a little, but seems to be responsible for infections.

All that said, the paranoia levels are through the roof. Spaniards are notorious hypochondriacs at the best of times. We have to wear masks all the time now in our office. 6 people in a massive office with far more than 2 metres between people. Headmelting

Just throwing this up here, I have no argument for or against. Ssounds like it was an interesting connversation:

https://youtu.be/30fAbXquGf8

https://youtu.be/30fAbXquGf8