I remember being a young kid and telling jokes at school in the 80s like why do Jews have big noses? Cause air is free. Or how can you spot a Jews house? Toilet paper on the washing line.
Tell them now, you'd be arrested. Granted there's not many Jewish people in norn iron. Suppose could just replace Jew with Scott or Ballymena man.

My memory is hearing the jokes before ever knowing of the supposed reputation of Jews for being misers, since - precisely - it was pretty much alien to Irish culture at the time. I heard about the Scots' reputation for stinginess but don't remember hearing jokes of the same kind about them.

The point being, the Jew jokes couldn't be funny unless someone took the pains to first explain to you that Jews had this supposed miser reputation. Bit of a definition of how unfounded prejudices spread for you there.

But yeah, a crying shame you wouldn't get away with such quality humour these days! :/

In fairness, I laughed out loud on a train platform reading them. We had tonnes of them in school, there were jokes about everyone, religion, skin colour, mothers, fathers, sisters, nationality, nothing was safe. Just stupid dumb shit that I'm sure repeated in every schoolyard throughout the world except with a difference in the butt of the joke. The amount of Paddy jokes we haven't been privy to, I'm sure, is monumental. Is it better to just be blasé about it or are they as sinister as some would lead us to believe? Or is it simply human nature? God knows, I'm sure a debate on it would end up going around in circles.

Well, when we were in primary school, minorities were pretty much non-existent, but jokes about Jews, Ethiopians, blacks in general, etc., trickled down to kids from adults who, presumably, got them from Roy Chubby Brown or similar. Today, in Ireland, minorities are much more visible and, well, so is genuine racism among our generation. Is that causal or is it a correlation? Who knows, but it is what it is.

Just riffing on memories of hearing and re-telling those kind of jokes... a part of childhood I haven't thought about in a very long time! It would have made more sense if we'd been telling jokes about people from Bray. Missed opportunity! But yeah, wouldn't want to be arresting anyone or suspending kids from school over it, but hopefully more of today's kids get a broader cultural perspective so they're able to contextualize jokes as just that; jokes.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 12, 2019, 05:23:11 PMbut hopefully more of today's kids get a broader cultural perspective so they're able to contextualize jokes as just that; jokes.

That's a whole lot of hopeful tbh  :-\

Quote from: Kunt 4 Life on February 12, 2019, 01:20:33 PM
I remember being a young kid and telling jokes at school in the 80s like why do Jews have big noses? Cause air is free. Or how can you spot a Jews house? Toilet paper on the washing line.
Tell them now, you'd be arrested. Granted there's not many Jewish people in norn iron. Suppose could just replace Jew with Scott or Ballymena man.

Change it to Cavan people, you'll be fine.

Cavan man rings up the Anglo-Celt to ask about putting a death notice in. Guy tells him it's a tenner per word.  He thinks about it and tells the other guy to put in 'Mary Duffy's dead"
The guy at the Celt, not being from Cavan's a bit shocked about this, and says to him, "You can't do something that short, tell you what, I'll give you an extra three words for free."
Cavan man thinks about this and replies "Mary Duffy's dead. Hay for sale."

I don't think kids these days go in for it, it was definitely so much more accepted and 'in the air' when we were young. We didn't even think of it in terms of acceptable or not. The only difference in the South was that one Protestant kid that you had in class..he'd suddenly dissapear when it came time for religion class. I remember we saw a black man in Drogheda when we were very young, we nearly jumped out of the car to have a closer look. Life is massively different now.

Cavan man calls the guards. 'My house has been broken into officer. They went into me living room and fleeced the place, television, sofa, everything gone. Then they musta gone upstairs, took me bedside lamp and the bed. And to make matters worse, I had a grand stew simmering in the kitchen and one of the durty cunts took a shite in the pot. I had to throw the half of it out..'

The auld lad used to tell jokes about the Scots when I was a chap, one quality one I can remember -

'Why do double glazed windows sell so well in Scotland?'

'So the kids can't hear the ice cream van'

How does every good racist joke start?

With a look over each shoulder.

Quote from: Pedrito on February 12, 2019, 08:52:30 PM
I don't think kids these days go in for it, it was definitely so much more accepted and 'in the air' when we were young. We didn't even think of it in terms of acceptable or not. The only difference in the South was that one Protestant kid that you had in class..he'd suddenly dissapear when it came time for religion class. I remember we saw a black man in Drogheda when we were very young, we nearly jumped out of the car to have a closer look. Life is massively different now.

Cavan man calls the guards. 'My house has been broken into officer. They went into me living room and fleeced the place, television, sofa, everything gone. Then they musta gone upstairs, took me bedside lamp and the bed. And to make matters worse, I had a grand stew simmering in the kitchen and one of the durty cunts took a shite in the pot. I had to throw the half of it out..'

Maybe they've just realised that,completely  aside from any race element, these jokes are just shite anyway?

Quote from: Pentagrimes on February 13, 2019, 09:19:50 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on February 12, 2019, 08:52:30 PM

Maybe they've just realised that,completely  aside from any race element, these jokes are just shite anyway?

You from Cavan by any chance? Depends on your sense of humour if theyre shite or not. Certainly, the one I wrote is about as crap as they come.

The jokes are shite,  but we are middle aged men.  They are funny if you're a kid and starting to develop a sense of humour.

I still enjoy the odd bum and willy jokes myself if I'm being honest. Have to be careful at any work party with after a few pints, my levels of juvenile retardedness know no bounds.

On a somewhat related note, how shit is a lot of modern comedy, when the punchline of the night is a Donald Trump joke or one related to institutional racism. It's almost the equivalent of a bum and willy joke at this rate. Any of those comedy specials on the BBC, or god forbid, the likes of Saturday night live..woeful stuff. As predictable as a Japanese train..just wait and it will definitely come, right on cue. PC culture at it's finest..only a select few topics and people can be attacked.