Do yiz think it's a bad idea to have a discussion with children about gender roles?

Quotemen are becoming more aware of what it is like to be valued and evaluated on their appearance. 85% of patients of hair restoration procedures in 2020 were men according to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery,

I think this is a pointless fucking statement. Of course 85% were men, because women generally don't go bald.

Yes it is a bad idea. Women are women and men are men. Fanny does some work better than you or I. Fanny also does other jobs very poorly because of fannys constitution.

I told my kid that his mothers attempts at lifting weights are futile and that SHES A CHOIRBOY COMPARED TO ME. A CHOIRBOY!

Can you give a better example of what you're talking about?

I don't agree with what you've said (or at least, my understanding of what you've said) and here's an example of my own:

A friend of mine works at an organic farm. One day there was a lot of digging to be done and when she volunteered to do it, the guy in charge looked at her and said "Nah, we usually leave the digging for the lads, there's work inside you can do that will be easier". She was having none of it so she grabbed a shovel and surprised them by showing that she was just as capable at shovelling shite than any of the lads there.

Now, whenever there's digging to be done, she's one of the first to be asked because "she's better than most of the other lads and she doesn't whinge and moan about it like they do".

So the lad in charge obviously had his own gender roles in mind: digging for the lads only cos the girls wouldn't be good at it. Or who knows, maybe his judgement could have been based on personal experience, maybe he had girls digging before and they weren't great at it? But still, isn't the whole point of feminism to give everybody an equal chance, regardless of their gender?

I'm curious if you've asked other women for their opinion about what they think about this kind of stuff being taught to kids?

Kids should be taught as few "ideologies" (i.e. as few -isms) as possible. Teach them about equality, teach them that a woman who's spent her life working the land could eat a gym boy for breakfast, teach them all that and more, just don't call it "feminism". Don't call it anything, just do it.

The wife cuts the grass. I'm all for equality.

#1176 November 29, 2020, 02:26:27 PM Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:35:14 PM by Nazgûl
Quote from: Giggles on November 29, 2020, 12:10:18 PM
I'm curious if you've asked other women for their opinion about what they think about this kind of stuff being taught to kids?

I highly doubt he has.

Agreed with what has been said above though. Seemed like the main point being made in that article makes basic sense i.e. teach kids about equality. Labelling it feminism in this context though seemed a bit off, but then again the missus and most of the female friends I have would say this is indeed the core idea of feminism in their mind.

I don't agree with what you've said (or at least, my understanding of what you've said) and here's an example of my own:

A friend of mine works at an organic farm. One day there was a lot of digging to be done and when she volunteered to do it, the guy in charge looked at her and said "Nah, we usually leave the digging for the lads, there's work inside you can do that will be easier". She was having none of it so she grabbed a shovel and surprised them by showing that she was just as capable at shovelling shite than any of the lads there.

Now, whenever there's digging to be done, she's one of the first to be asked because "she's better than most of the other lads and she doesn't whinge and moan about it like they do".

So the lad in charge obviously had his own gender roles in mind: digging for the lads only cos the girls wouldn't be good at it. Or who knows, maybe his judgement could have been based on personal experience, maybe he had girls digging before and they weren't great at it? But still, isn't the whole point of feminism to give everybody an equal chance, regardless of their gender?

This is quite the made-up story.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 29, 2020, 12:30:35 PM
Kids should be taught as few "ideologies" (i.e. as few -isms) as possible. Teach them about equality, teach them that a woman who's spent her life working the land could eat a gym boy for breakfast, teach them all that and more, just don't call it "feminism". Don't call it anything, just do it.

Yeah that's pretty much it. Keep the radicalisation to a minimum and just teach kids how to accept that everyone is different in different ways and all have an equal chance to be good at something.

Let them know that the women's tennis needs to be 5 sets and that the women's football needs the rule change that prevents them from picking it straight up off the ground. (joking and not joking there but it still seems that equality doesn't quite equal equality)

Women's football is horrible. It's like camogie, nobody cares.

I'd have to have actually watched it to confirm but I'm aware of the rule difference. Also the young fella playing under 12s vs mixed teams and he isn't allowed to tackle the girls and they can pick it up off the ground but the boys have to rise it up proper so where is the equality in that or indeed the feminism? Well actually the feminism is there because they see fit to put them on an imaginary equal footing while also making it easier for them. Sort of like affirmative action. The whole equality thing is a mess, but anyone with a brain knows enough to treat the opposite sex with a bit of respect. In a lot of ways we were farther ahead 20 years ago than we are now

Quote from: Blackout on November 29, 2020, 05:11:07 PM

This is quite the made-up story.

I freely admit that the story as I have told it, was not written 100% word per word as it was told to me. It has been modified somewhat for the purpose of displaying it as easily digestible text on an internet forum, as opposed to the roundabout manner in which it was originally delivered to me. I hope it wasn't written too "story like" for you, and you still managed to understand the point of it, regardless of if you believe it or not.

Quote from: astfgyl on November 29, 2020, 10:15:22 PM
I'd have to have actually watched it to confirm but I'm aware of the rule difference. Also the young fella playing under 12s vs mixed teams and he isn't allowed to tackle the girls and they can pick it up off the ground but the boys have to rise it up proper so where is the equality in that or indeed the feminism? Well actually the feminism is there because they see fit to put them on an imaginary equal footing while also making it easier for them. Sort of like affirmative action. The whole equality thing is a mess, but anyone with a brain knows enough to treat the opposite sex with a bit of respect. In a lot of ways we were farther ahead 20 years ago than we are now

That does sound like a mess alright. Is it really necessary to have that ball rule for the girls? How can they ever be expected to do it properly if they simply don't have to? Are the girls allowed to tackle the lads? Or are the different genders just not allowed tackle each other?

No the girls can bust the lads if they are strong enough and all the parents cheer them for it, but if the young lad gives the shoulder the ref blows it up. I don't mind it tbh, it's funny seeing the young lads getting done but it sends a mixed message when the equality is forever being hammered into the kids.