https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1EA2ohrt5Q&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3yDSeaH9CB7anHbLy_DrPrVlbxMdAC50mPjQdqDnGklwPyucNguTvXSrA

The machine read some of my comments and fed me this. Of course the guy could be a capitalist plant, but what he says is pretty funny in light of current events.

I've always enjoyed that Yuri Bezmenov interview.

It's hard to know what to make of him, but it seems he met a dodgy end, so it lends some credence to his musings.

#437 June 25, 2020, 04:37:09 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:28:24 PM by mugz

Well his proposed solution at the end serves to perpetuate the idea. The idea isn't to get one ideology or the other to actually work, just to have it boiled down to two distinct opposing sides and set them off against each other until they destroy their own place from the inside out.

#439 June 25, 2020, 05:04:56 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:28:37 PM by mugz

This is fucking retarded. Non-white people exempted from wearing masks in Oregon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kron4.com/health/coronavirus/oregon-county-issues-face-mask-order-exempting-non-white-people/amp/

Chris, quote me Kierkegaard to justify this;)

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 25, 2020, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 25, 2020, 03:21:27 PM
Ah right so.  Horseshite.  Just as I thought.

A lot of serious study over the last hundred or more years points towards the deterioration of community as a tangible entity as being heavily responsible for much of the discontent and accompanying mental health issues at the individual level in western society. The "protestant values" which place family ahead of community have taken over the west via capitalism (which is said to have grown out of these same "protestant values"). There are some classics of sociology that deal with this directly; Durkheim and Weber specifically on the "protestant values" thing.

If that's what they are getting at then are choosing the most combative and convoluted way of getting their message across. Saying 'dismantle the nuclear family' as a way of meaning 'we need more community focus' is unclear to the point of absurdity.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 25, 2020, 05:31:59 PM

A lot of serious study over the last hundred or more years points towards the deterioration of community as a tangible entity as being heavily responsible for much of the discontent and accompanying mental health issues at the individual level in western society. The "protestant values" which place family ahead of community have taken over the west via capitalism (which is said to have grown out of these same "protestant values"). There are some classics of sociology that deal with this directly; Durkheim and Weber specifically on the "protestant values" thing.

If that's what they are getting at then are choosing the most combative and convoluted way of getting their message across. Saying 'dismantle the nuclear family' as a way of meaning 'we need more community focus' is unclear to the point of absurdity.

Agreed.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 25, 2020, 05:31:59 PM

Where is the 'dismantle the nuclear family' quote from out of interest?

#445 June 25, 2020, 11:53:56 PM Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:55:35 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: astfgyl on June 25, 2020, 03:49:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1EA2ohrt5Q&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3yDSeaH9CB7anHbLy_DrPrVlbxMdAC50mPjQdqDnGklwPyucNguTvXSrA

The machine read some of my comments and fed me this. Of course the guy could be a capitalist plant, but what he says is pretty funny in light of current events.

Everything he says here is an echo of discourse that was already mainstream in the US via Sidney Hook, James Conant and ultimately McCarthy beginning in the 1940s, taking form initially through the purges of "communist" university staff and then spilling over into the media and elsewhere. The calls for an overhaul of education are identical, and in the US they have always been applied.

From where I'm looking, the difficulty of the ideological battle between freedom of thought and totalitarianism (i.e. in a system built conceptually on the idea of freedom of thought, how do you combat a thought system that supposedly wishes to eradicate freedom of thought without in the process undermining that core concept of freedom), the battle that James Dewey grappled with unsuccessfully up until his death, was ultimately defused by the totalitarianism of the cult of a self that is defined by the set of commodities each individual accrues and identifies themselves (their "self") with. Peterson's fantastical idea of "cultural Marxism" is just another echo of the same phantom against which the necessity for self-assertion, grounded in the notion of "freedom of thought", is again shored up. Ideologically I don't see that really anything essential has changed, but the means, the media (as in, plural of medium) through which any and every side are communicated are more liquid, some would now say gaseous, than ever; meaning ungraspable. If the medium is the message, then the message is now ungraspable. But consumer capitalism embraces all of it, feeds on all of it, as it always has.

It's almost like all of our major cultural and social discourse has a built in cognitive Dissonance.
I've never liked "the medium is the message", much preferred Watts (via Raw) "The menu is not the meal. Or again," the map is not the territory".

Saying different though complementary things, but I'd be with you that "the map is not the territory" resonates on a deeper level.

Conant had some incredible examples of conceptual dissonance in his speeches around the war-time mobilization of Harvard during his presidency there, stating in not so many words that, because they were free, it could not be left up to individual young male students to decide whether to enlist and go to war, only the state could make that decision for them. I spent about 6 months last year trawling through the 30s - 50s archives of the NYT, and some of the ideological cartwheels the militant anti-communists would go through are just incredible. It was a particularly good moment in modernity to be doing it too, since it highlighted really to what extent discourse (or at least visible surface discourse) hasn't changed in all that time. And what makes it even more difficult to get to the bottom of is that the present day research on that era is almost without exception undertaken by someone who has either a pro- or an anti-communist bent which you have to uncover (sometimes much easier than others) before you know how to take what they're trying to tell you. Riddles wrapped in mysteries communicated by political salesmen. 

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 25, 2020, 07:07:59 PM
It's on their website.

Is it this:

"We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and "villages" that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

Disrupting the requirement for it sounds less harsh than dismantling it altogether  :)

Well it's kind of strange wording. I mean, simply saying we are aiming to build stronger communities that look out for each other makes a lot of sense. In fact, it's a sentiment that seems to ring true across the spectrum of politics, but when it comes from the left it's considered communism by the right, and when it comes from the right it's considered insular and nationalistic by the left! I'm not really sure what that has to do with the nuclear family, though, particularly when you consider the strides western countries have made in terms of the acceptance of gay culture- and the arguable over-correction there too in terms of the over-emphasis on gay culture and the various interconnected elements of such in every aspect of life these days from shops pointlessly displaying rainbow flags and the gayness of tv and media- not a big issue,  but certainly a remarkable one. Gay couples can adopt kids, live where they want, work where they want etc. so to make out like BLM are fighting for some distant utopia when half of what they are supposedly struggling for is already the world they live in makes me scratch my balding head in confusion. Just my view on it. I'm sure I'll be told I'm wrong and that I am blind to the real power struggle behind the illusory one being presented by the puppet master etc etc... I am just about intelligent enough to make sense of existence as I see it without adding extra layers of intrigue  :laugh: