Quote from: Giggles on August 12, 2024, 10:05:30 PMBut getting a covid shot because of an allegedly shit handling of a crisis in Italy where a bunch of old people died, and I'm about 40 years younger than the average age of people dying, and with no underlying medical conditions? Yeah, nah.
It's easy to forget the early variants were far more aggressive than the version most of us got. A friend of the wife is a consultant at a hospital in Sardinia and he saw it happen first-hand. I met him last year and, as he put it - it showed the symptoms of pneumonia but none of our therapies worked - and he watched a lot of people of all ages die of it. We can argue about vaccines, and how we coped when we eventually got it until the cows come home, but when it first arrived, Covid was a proper bastard.

There's going to be a rake of these, are we going to list them all?

Except for the most extreme cases, "protestors" and "counter-protestors" alike shouldn't have been given prison sentences but, imo, been obliged to work side by side on community service projects, with a genuine threat of prison only if they caused trouble. Win-win-win.

If it was a Muslim I'd be saying the same thing. 'Who the fuck is Allah'.

I was at a football game in Sarajevo last summer between Banja Luka (Serbs from Republika Srpska) and Železniçar, the local Muslim team and the fans (separated by lines of cops and nets) were threatening to cut heads off, 'we're coming back for you' etc etc. the polis just laughing. Lads getting the jail for mouthing off is pure insanity.

I might have a video on my phone of the boyz...

I just said I agree they shouldn't be getting prison. But they are. And there's going to be a rake more.

In East Germany people were locked up for mere criticism of the government. These people are being locked up for violently targeting asylum seekers and Muslims. Important but easy to grasp differences.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on August 15, 2024, 07:05:14 PMLads getting the jail for mouthing off is pure insanity.

100%. If there wasn't violence involved, he's getting stung for speech. There's no incitement there from those quotes, so this seems ridiculous.

#6518 August 15, 2024, 07:51:53 PM Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 07:53:27 PM by Caomhaoin
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 15, 2024, 07:26:47 PMIn East Germany people were locked up for mere criticism of the government. These people are being locked up for violently targeting asylum seekers and Muslims. Important but easy to grasp differences.

He said 'who the fuck is Allah'. Oh, and he jabbed his finger at the Polis. It's equally as sinister, only the stasi have been replaced by the constabulary.

He was actively participating in violent riots targeting asylum seekers and Muslims. He wasn't merely criticizing the government. I don't think he should be going to prison for it (if nothing else because of the reaction it will get from the likes of you) but it's nevertheless nothing like East Germany.

That's not what he's been sent to jail over though.

You once said here that you'd rather live in Cuba than the US. Please, with the doctrinaire stuff. It's stifling your considerable intellect.

I think someone needs to test this out by criticising the Christian god and seeing if they get jailed for it.

At a fucking stretch, and I mean a stretch give him 28 days and release him after a day or two. Soften his cough.
Lunacy taking up valuable prison spaces over words.

#6523 August 15, 2024, 09:17:35 PM Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 09:29:25 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: Caomhaoin on August 15, 2024, 08:29:59 PMThat's not what he's been sent to jail over though.

You once said here that you'd rather live in Cuba than the US. Please, with the doctrinaire stuff. It's stifling your considerable intellect.

I stand by that choice, all the more now that I can get by in Spanish.

You once recommended I watch a video about abuse of language in the media made by a proud nazi. And you stood by that. Which didn't stifle anything: it merely revealed.

Anyway, what he's been charged with, what he pleaded guilty to, is violent disorder, specifically: "making threatening gestures at police," "screaming 'Fucking wanker' and 'cunt' at officers in riot gear, then singing 'You're not English, you're not English anymore'. At one point he also joined the Islamophobic chant 'Who the fuck is Allah, Allah Allah'"

Doesn't deserve jail, but he deserves something for pushing to the front line of the riot, placing himself and his incandescent rage in full sight of the police (which is how they got everything he did on camera), rather than getting back on the train and traveling back to Sutton to be with his wife when things started getting violent.

#6524 August 15, 2024, 09:22:19 PM Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 09:26:50 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Anyone who'd even tried to do something like that in East Germany would have been beaten to within an inch of their life on the spot, then thrown in a van to be taken for "medical care" literally to never be seen again.