When Suicidal Tendencies played the Music Centre there was a few of us queuing up early to have some cans. Some auld lad walks by, "bit of a rock show on tonight lads? Who's playing?"
Tell him the name, gets an absolutely incredulous look on his face, nearly seems like he's about to have a stroke
"suici...unbelievable...sui...suicdal tendencies?? What about LIVING TENDENCIES LADS?"

My aunt from New York came home with her 2 boys in the late 80s. Same lads that really got me into metal in a big way. I think the Priest trial was either going on or being touted so she had it all off about PMRC etc. This shit was huge in the states.
So herself and my mother decided they were going to tackle our love for metal that week.
As evidence she played Judas Priest's Parental
Guidance  as exhibit A. We rolled about the place laughing for as well as liking priest had all kinds of satanic and fucked up records in my room that they were unaware of.  In all fairness my mother hadn't a clue really what was going on.

When I tell my mother that I'm heading off to London for a gig I still get "when are you going to stop listening to that rubbish?!". I'm 45 FFS!

'Are you still listening to that shit' is probably the most used for every metal head over 20 years old.

My mom, being curious about the band I'm playing in, said she looked up a video and that "there doesn't seem to be much.......music to it?"

Made me chuckle. Thanks mom.

#20 January 10, 2020, 05:04:44 PM Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:07:11 PM by Snare
Quote from: Paul keohane on January 10, 2020, 03:40:50 PM
'Are you still listening to that shit' is probably the most used for every metal head over 20 years old.

That's strange because it was around then that you said if you were still into metal when you were 30 you'd shoot yourself or words to that effect?? And you're 40 now, grow up FFS! 🤣😛

I think we were on our way back into Dublin city after a Slayer gig and some joe soap started roaring "wah woarrr warrrr woar" at us taking off metal singing, to which I replied "how did you know the words?" 😃

I remember being in 2nd year in school and we had a young Christian brother teaching us religion. Was asking us what he liked. Good few of us said metal music and he proceeds to go into a big schpiel about the dangers of Guns N Roooses, Iron Maaaiden and  Nierrrvaana in his big thick boggery Nyavan accent. He used get awful worked up about stuff and spittle would start forming on his lip and he'd get that spit string that connects the top of the mouth to the bottom of the mouth, so he was baptised 'gip lip' by some smart arse. Makes me wretch even thinking about it now.

We didn't go too far into all the Slayer, Deicide and black metal that was out there coz he was a massive fucker who playec football for Meath and he could have easily battered 9 or 10 of us in the blink of an eye.

Another tine was some oul lad in a pub saying 'ah yis like that kill yer granny, eat yer mother music so?'

Quote from: Snare on January 10, 2020, 05:04:44 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on January 10, 2020, 03:40:50 PM

That's strange because it was around then that you said if you were still into metal when you were 30 you'd shoot yourself or words to that effect?? And you're 40 now, grow up FFS! 🤣😛

I think we were on our way back into Dublin city after a Slayer gig and some joe soap started roaring "wah woarrr warrrr woar" at us taking off metal singing, to which I replied "how did you know the words?" 😃
i miss calculated how long id be still listening to this shite!
Ah yes i remember that knacker knowing the lyrics to most DM songs!

Years back a bus load of us from Cork stopped in kilkenny on our way to The Glenside metal meeting (remember that),on our way into the shop in the petrol station one local hick says to one of his buddies 'its a gang of mountain bikers'.As one of the lads said,i wouldn't fancy cycling up a mountain in these New Rocks (boots).

The classic Butchered at Birth Longsleeve, mother says you shouldn't wear that people will think you are supporting abortion. Apart from that - the usual  they should all be locked up for making that racket

Not remotely 'mad' by any means, but remember talking to one of the lads at work years ago when I first started my job and the topic of music came up for whatever reason. Told him I listened to metal and he said "oh you like all that heavy stuff like Van Halen". This was only about 10 years ago so it's not like Van Halen were at their peak or anything. Just thought it was amusing that he considered Van Halen to be representative of metal as a whole, or to even describe them as 'heavy'.

#26 January 10, 2020, 06:32:48 PM Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:35:56 PM by Paul keohane
Quote from: John Kimble on January 10, 2020, 06:07:51 PM
Not remotely 'mad' by any means, but remember talking to one of the lads at work years ago when I first started my job and the topic of music came up for whatever reason. Told him I listened to metal and he said "oh you like all that heavy stuff like Van Halen". This was only about 10 years ago so it's not like Van Halen were at their peak or anything. Just thought it was amusing that he considered Van Halen to be representative of metal as a whole, or to even describe them as 'heavy'.
With years when people ask me what music im into i just say rock,Lizzy ,Metallica,GNR etc,i just couldnt be fucked  getting into explaining to some gimp that some of my favourite bands are AngelCorpse ,Rotting Christ ,Dead Congregation etc etc.Its just not worth it!

Extremely religious grandmother going ballistic because of a Impaled Nazarene sleeveprint. Luckily enough I had another shirt over it, so all she saw was "Crucified Whore"  and not the "Christ is the" bit.

Other, equally as holy grandmother in Florida acouple of years ago actually approved of my Kreator shirt, saying. "Your shirt is correct, why can't people accept Satan is real?"

True story.....In the early 90's I was in hospital for back surgery when the surgeon came in with his team to review me before my operation the next day. I had an ACDC tshirt on and one of the female student doctors in tow looked at it and said..."you'll be under the razors edge tomorrow alright"..funny as fuck

Never had anything too egregious said to me, only the usual "how can you listen to that freak music" type comments. When I was a teenager just getting into Slayer my strongly Catholic mother used to regularly threaten to throw my CDs in the fire as she didn't want me listening to that devil music. She softened a bit on the subject over time but there would always be a groan when I announced I was off to Dublin to metal gigs and disapproving tuts at the t shirts I'd come home with  :laugh: