Just starting a general  Slayer thread rather than open up individual ones for every piece of gossip.

I see Holt has had to bail the Slayer Tour early  as a family member is ill.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/gary-holt-leaves-slayer-tour-machine-head-ex-phil-demmel-steps-in

Have to say wouldn't have put Phil Demmel as an obvious replacement.

Demmel is a decent player, despite the MH years. There are no obvious candidate, really. Who would be more suitable?

Yeah I guess. Thought Pat O Brien slotted in nicely before.

I remember watching live footage from when Pat O'Brien was standing in, he looked like he could play Slayer's stuff in his sleep. Must have been the most relaxing gigs he's played.

I read an interview where he said it was incredibly daunting actually. He ended up practicing overnight without sleep according to Dave Lombardo. Totally different bands dynamically, of course Pat can play but Slayer is a different beast altogether.

Speaking of which, other than looking a little nervous Phil did alright last night, footage of Hell Awaits online looks tight.

It's an odd one but as the years pass I am only beginning to realize that 'Hell Awaits' is clearly better than  'Reign..' or even 'Seasons..', despite being rough around the edges.

One of my favourite covers in metal. Suited the album to an absolute Tee, there'll never be anything like it again. Hail Caroller!

@leatherface Yeah an underrated record for sure. Not sure if it's because I've played the others to death and find extra value in it? But yeah the toughness and the long songs give great atmosphere to it.

Quote from: leatherface on May 24, 2019, 11:14:35 PM
It's an odd one but as the years pass I am only beginning to realize that 'Hell Awaits' is clearly better than  'Reign..' or even 'Seasons..', despite being rough around the edges.

Pure bollox. Reign in blood was groundbreaking in all aspects the first two while great were derivative .

Seasons is the worst of the first five lp and is fairly forgettable.

Quote from: leatherface on May 24, 2019, 11:14:35 PM

Nnnoooooo, the production is utterly impotent, awful sounding record.

I just can't listen to it, compared to power and ferocity of Reign in Blood it is total weak sauce. Sounds like an okay garage band.

For me I always wished the poor sounding albums of the 80s  were better sonically. Like Darkness descends is a great album but to me it could be way better if the mix wasn't so shite. I'm not saying an Andy sneap sound but something a bit clearer. Hell Awaits to me falls into this bracket. I know people will say that can be part of its charm but not for me.

Throwing my hat in for Hell Awaits appreciation, class album. Love the rabid speed of the vocals and it still has a great traditional heavy metal feel to the music.

#13 May 26, 2019, 04:07:13 PM Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:01:22 PM by leatherface
Yah, I knew my OP would annoy some people. I LOVE 'Reign..' and 'South..' and all those classic releases. Just heard them a million times already. No-one wants to talk about 'Hell Awaits' , which I already pointed out was rough sounding,  I LIKE the production on it,  proto death metal, grimy and grim.  Great songs that aren't talked about much, 'Kill again' for example.

Hell Awaits was my 2nd most played Slayer LP during the 80's and early 90's, great album still although Show No Mercy is a fantastic slab of Heavy Metal.