Quote from: leatherface on May 24, 2019, 11:14:35 PM
It's an odd one but as the years pass I am only beginning to realize that 'Hell Awaits' is clearly better than  'Reign..' or even 'Seasons..', despite being rough around the edges.

Yeah definitely. Its the best Slayer album. Dark as fuck and has as much of a claim to being a death metal album as Seven Churches does.  I would kill to hear Reign In Blood with a Hell Awaits production. Murky reverb filth.

As said, Hell Awaits doesn't need to sound like an Andy Sneap record, just not like the limp weed that is.

Show No Mercy and Haunting the Chapel both sound great.

Just stuck.on Decade of Aggression there..savagery. the live intrusion VHS was a constant throughout my teen years..just really glad I got to see them live with Hanneman and the whole lot. Hanneman threw me a can of Heineken and got a Kerry king plec that night, they were on absolute fire.

Decade and Live Intrusion are still staples for me, up there with the Metallica 89 show as how a live show should be done. Decade especially must rank as the best live album ever recorded. Love how they didn't dub anything on it, every fuck up left in there.

#19 May 31, 2019, 10:32:47 AM Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:38:41 AM by Pedrito
Watching Live Intrusion here..jesus what energy. The Divine Intervention tunes sound aggressive as fuck. A great album, they were on fire then. The myth makers will say their best days were behind them by that point..I completely disagree. They were different definitely, but Bostaph changed things up and added an different type of intensity to their sound. Love Bostaph and Lombardo equally so it´s not a comparison, he simply brought something new to the table...Killing Fields, the perfect soundtrack to a full scale riot  :abbath: :abbath: :abbath:

edit: had forgotten the scene where the lad cuts Slayer into his arm..I remember attempting the same and getting as far as the first stroke before deciding it was best not to. I must have been an absolute mongo when I was 16  :laugh:

Live Undead and Decade are two absolute stormers. The energy from band and crowd on the Live Undead album! Would have loved to have been there, sounded insane.

I'm of the opinion that Divine Intervention is second only to Reign in Blood. Stormer of an album.

It must be one of the few records almost universally approved by fans yet ignored by the band.

Quote from: Ducky on June 01, 2019, 06:45:00 PM
I'm of the opinion that Divine Intervention is second only to Reign in Blood. Stormer of an album.

Never thought of it like that but now that you say it...

I bought it when it came out and it's the album I seem to always go for. It was also one of the first albums I bought on cd rather than cassette and the production just jumped out of my cd player.

Intense and aggressive, the serial killer and political lyrics seemed to really suit the sound that they had on the album. They had shed some of the more 'heavy metal' elements of their sound, there was more emphasis on chugging, an almost hardcore vibe to lots of it. Araya is about as aggressive as it gets..how he didn't blow his lungs out I'll.never know. It felt very 'right' at the time, Rodney King, OJ all that mad shit that was going on at the time. A class album

The other important thing is their peers were going for more commercial sounds, when you put Divine Intervention on you immediately sensed Slayer didn't give a fuck and had gone as heavy as possible, it worked for them too. Aside from Metallica they were the only ones to keep their major label status, and whilst they may not have had the taste of commercial reward that maybe a Megadeth has had they've retained a consistent fan base.

#25 June 04, 2019, 12:27:41 PM Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:30:29 PM by Pedrito
good point, the bigger bands had gone more melodic only to veer again shortly afterwards to try and catch that grunge/southern rock wave. Slayer wrote songs about lads cutting up men and women and police beatings and shortly after released Undisputed Attitude which kept the controversial/violent/political thing going.  Was listening to it this morning..fast, aggressive, no fucks given

Quote from: Pedrito on June 04, 2019, 08:30:47 AM

I bought it when it came out and it's the album I seem to always go for. It was also one of the first albums I bought on cd rather than cassette and the production just jumped out of my cd player.

Intense and aggressive, the serial killer and political lyrics seemed to really suit the sound that they had on the album. They had shed some of the more 'heavy metal' elements of their sound, there was more emphasis on chugging, an almost hardcore vibe to lots of it. Araya is about as aggressive as it gets..how he didn't blow his lungs out I'll.never know. It felt very 'right' at the time, Rodney King, OJ all that mad shit that was going on at the time. A class album

To borrow from the old MI Metallica thread - they sounded like they were still full of piss and vinegar. Bostaph was a man with a point to prove and he fucking did so, massively.

There's a nice mix of dynamics, some razor sharp, warp speed riffing and satisfying chugging too. It's a fairly succinct record too, doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's also my favourite production on any of their albums. It has presence but isn't super clean. There's a sloppiness to the sound that gives it a slight bang of DIY but they still play tight as fuck.

And regardless of what anyone thinks of King, he did write Dittohead, which is as subtle and direct as a steelcap to the balls, so he's alright in my book.

Quote from: Ducky on June 04, 2019, 05:29:22 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on June 04, 2019, 08:30:47 AM

To borrow from the old MI Metallica thread - they sounded like they were still full of piss and vinegar. Bostaph was a man with a point to prove and he fucking did so, massively.

There's a nice mix of dynamics, some razor sharp, warp speed riffing and satisfying chugging too. It's a fairly succinct record too, doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's also my favourite production on any of their albums. It has presence but isn't super clean. There's a sloppiness to the sound that gives it a slight bang of DIY but they still play tight as fuck.

And regardless of what anyone thinks of King, he did write Dittohead, which is as subtle and direct as a steelcap to the balls, so he's alright in my book.
Funny, it's probably my favorite Slayer or at least my most listened to Slayer album yet I  think it has some really dodgy production. Sounds like every song was mastered completely different to the last, guitars sound real low and the bass is nowhere. Not that bass is an instrument that stands out in thrash lol.

Seasons for me but tbh I would rarely listen to a full album of theirs anymore.  Just my own playlist on spotify Aggressive Perfector, Chemical Warefare, Dittohead etc

I see Kerry's plecs on this run read "Reborn 2020"

Can only imagine what god awful brodudery awaits? Keep Holt/ Bostaph and have a Phil Anselmo type fronting?