Quote from: Wiseblood on December 12, 2019, 02:12:50 PM
Prong  - Whose Fist is it Anyway

How that hasn't been used as a WWF wrestler's walk on music, I'll never know. Maybe it has.

Far too many to think about but I suppose here is a good place to declare that the opening riff to Desolate Shrine's Unmask The Face Of False is probably the heaviest riff of all time 

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/track/unmask-the-face-of-false

Speaking of Today Is The Day, the opening/main riff to this is crushing:

https://youtu.be/b6c5JTwRsuM

Quote from: Wiseblood on December 12, 2019, 03:42:01 PM
Melvins  - Honey Bucket  :abbath:

Absolutely agreed.,every riff in that song is monstrous. And "Boris".

Quote from: Carnage on December 12, 2019, 06:38:40 PM
Quote from: Wiseblood on December 12, 2019, 02:12:50 PM
Prong  - Whose Fist is it Anyway

How that hasn't been used as a WWF wrestler's walk on music, I'll never know. Maybe it has.

It hasn't but snap your fingers snap your neck has  8)

Crowbar - The Lasting Dose. Every time I listen to that I feel like Kirk Windstein is sitting on my face. The bit when the verse starts. Sweet Jesus it's so heavy. If treacle had a sound it would be that.

Seems a good thread to muse over it - Nirvana have more good riffs than I've had hot dinners.

Smells Like... made me want to explore guitar music more, but when I first got into metal, I became "too cool" to listen to Nirvana.

A few years and a dose of cop-on later, I got into them again and fuck me, there's so many belters in their small back catalogue; especially on Bleach and Incesticide.

And honestly, Milk It is one of the nastiest sounds I've ever had come out of my speakers.

Seeing as there's a thread about new Today is the Day material, it reminded me of the riffs from Mayari.

#23 December 13, 2019, 01:06:51 AM Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:39:07 AM by leatherface
Some more riffffs that come to mind today:

Faith no More: Surprise! You're Dead
Prong: Another Worldly Device (quite a few have mentioned Prong, hadn't mentioned them before, my bad)
Motorhead: Mean Machine
Bad Brains: Big Takeover
Cathedral: Vampire Sun
Cathedral: Hopkins
S.O.D.: March of the SOD
Ministry: Psalm 69 (verse riff)
Sepultura: Troops of Doom (re-recording- on 'Schizophrenia')
Carcass: Butcher's Apron (riff at 0.43)
Running Wild: Raw Ride
Annihilator: Alice in Hell
Ghoul: Ghetto Blasters (riff at 1.08)
Soundgarden: Rusty Cage (an intriguing sounding one, not the usual powerchord stuff but still very heavy)
White Zombie: Creature of the wheel (a deep cut from the now defunct WZ, riff is monstrous)

Quote from: Ducky on December 13, 2019, 12:53:05 AM
Seems a good thread to muse over it - Nirvana have more good riffs than I've had hot dinners.

Smells Like... made me want to explore guitar music more, but when I first got into metal, I became "too cool" to listen to Nirvana.

A few years and a dose of cop-on later, I got into them again and fuck me, there's so many belters in their small back catalogue; especially on Bleach and Incesticide.

And honestly, Milk It is one of the nastiest sounds I've ever had come out of my speakers.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly.  Nirvana had plenty riffs.

Some great riffs on Bleach by Nirvana

Quote from: Ducky on December 13, 2019, 12:53:05 AM

Nirvana had dozens of amazing riffs alright. Though check out where they nicked the Milk It riff from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0lue7MTAvA

Pantera - Live Through Me (Hells Wrath) is a cracker. As is 5 Minutes Alone and the slow riff of Domination. Pantera had a wealth of great riffs though.

Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells

And while I'm loathe to mention that geebag Robb Flynn, the main riff to Old is top drawer too.