This message was up on their Twitter last Sunday.

Rumours started and now it seems to have grown legs with a few websites reporting it. https://www.revolvermag.com/music/sleep-go-indefinite-hiatus-following-three-year-end-shows

Nothing beyond the above screen from the band though.

I have a ticket for one of those final Chicago shows since they went on-sale months ago - there didn't seem to be be much uptake in them at the time. That might change now.

I highly doubt this is the end of Sleep, they were never going to be a band that regularly put out albums but they'll do shows again. Pike has said Sleep reforming is what finally gave him the ability to quit his day job and do music full time. I'd imagine they'll focus on HOF/Om for a couple of years then come back again.

Hopefully anyway as I haven't seen them live yet  :abbath:.

Yeah, it was an absolutel stinker, and proof that stoners are easily fucking pleased.

I think "The Sciences" is a good album. Maybe not in the realm of "Dopesmoker" but certainly as good as "Holy Mountain" - definitely more disciplined and focused.

I'm not a stoner but Sleep are one of my favourite bands so obviously I'm a little biased but, if it was shite, I'd have no problem saying so.

Ah here, honestly , "Holy Mountain" is far better. There's actual riffs and songs on it. TBH I prefer that and Vol 4 to the "Dopesmoker" era though, I find that stuff far less interesting and more self indulgent.

I didn't even bother listening to the sciences, once I realised two songs weren't even new. I think one other track is supposed to be Pike fucking about with his toggle switch. I had totally forgotten about it now, must go and actually listen to it.
As much as I love Sleep and went to see them at the 09 reunion, they really are living off the mythology surrounding dopesmoker.
I would agree with you there pentagrimes, the earlier stuff wins over dopesmoker. I think the only time I've listened to the whole thing since my teens was the drive to the last siege (I live in the North)

Ah lads, Dopesmoker is fucking ace - though I prefer the original Jerusalem release, it's fatter and heavier mix, just so tasty. Many times it rattled the fuck out of the sides of my old van when it came out. I used to love driving around in the sun listening to it. It was hard to go back to Holy Mountain or Vol 1 afterwards, they sound so thin in comparison. The Sciences... yeah, got to agree with Pentagrimes, it's not great at all. Hopefully, it's not the end for them all the same.

Love Dopesmoker, definitely my favourite by them.
Holy Mountain is class too.  Really enjoyed The Sciences when it came out but haven't went back near it in a long time now, just didn't really have any lasting power unfortunately.

The Botanist is one of the best things they've ever written imo.

#10 November 14, 2019, 06:58:55 PM Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:11:48 AM by stevie-0

Quote from: Juggz on November 14, 2019, 10:46:15 AM
Ah lads, Dopesmoker is fucking ace - though I prefer the original Jerusalem release, it's fatter and heavier mix, just so tasty. Many times it rattled the fuck out of the sides of my old van when it came out. I used to love driving around in the sun listening to it. It was hard to go back to Holy Mountain or Vol 1 afterwards, they sound so thin in comparison. The Sciences... yeah, got to agree with Pentagrimes, it's not great at all. Hopefully, it's not the end for them all the same.

Don't get me wrong, I listened to it flat out when I first got into Sleep. I think at this point in my life I just don't have the time to really get the most out of long releases. A nice fat mix of holy mountain would be ace though. Am I right in thinking that the holy mountain recordings were supposed to be demos, but they ended up using them for the release?

Hoky Mountain is definitely their pinnacle. Like Pentagrimes said, Dopesmoker/Jerusalem is just self indulgent, not every idea you have when you're stoned is a good one, lads.

The Sciences is actually my favourite Sleep release, Marijuanaut's Theme and the Botanist along side the two older tracks Sonic Titan and Antarcticans just sounds so good. Perfect album for me.

Caught them on the tour for it too and thoroughly enjoyed the night.

A break and some new Om and some Om gigs would be just the job though.

#14 November 18, 2019, 09:58:19 AM Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:01:12 AM by StoutAndAle
I don't think that OM have stopped touring since they formed. They've been on the go pretty much every year bar 2017 - including headlining Desertfest this past April.

A new album and an Irish date would be nice though. They're on tour in the US next month and early next year so perhaps they'll float this way.