I just stuck on Nuclear Holiday on YouTube.  I actually remember it.  Catchy radio rock stuff but that can't have represented the best of 'Metal' in the UK in 97. Or maybe it did...

How easy it is to overlook Terrorvision these days.

Again,  a fun easy listening radio band but what they were doing in METAL Hammer is a bit hard to fathom.  I saw them at Sunstroke 94, actually.

#49 September 10, 2019, 04:17:11 PM Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:57:05 PM by Wiseblood
A real shock about the SFX gigs is the notion that Paradise Lost couldn't pull a crowd for Draconian Times! Mental stuff. My excuse is that I was only 15 and lived down the sticks where you generally found out about these gigs about 2 weeks AFTER they happened.

If Painkiller-era Priest couldn't pull a crowd then PL shouldn't feel too bad  :laugh:

What happened in the mid 90s?,was it just a slump across the whole scene or what?,was it some kind of cross roads for the scene?.Was everyone just  confused at what direction they were taking?,bands and fans?.

Quote from: Paul keohane on September 10, 2019, 06:00:37 PM
What happened in the mid 90s?,was it just a slump across the whole scene or what?,was it some kind of cross roads for the scene?.Was everyone just  confused at what direction they were taking?,bands and fans?.
There's the Wiki list of Metal releases for the 90's....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_in_heavy_metal_music

Probably worth a thread of its own.

I think it was just a bad time for metal, on the surface at least. I mean, I could list out loads of my favorite albums by bands such as Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Emperor etc but there seemed to be a general malaise with mainstream metal at least, which paved the way for the likes of Korn et al. I still have a lot of time for the first two Korn albums, as well as most of the Deftones catalogue, but certainly some horrific shit gained serious momentum during the 90s. Just look at Machine Heads godawful take on nu-metal. And the countless number of horrible nu-metal clones that appeared in their wake. I completely bought into it at the time. The sheer amount of crap being championed by Metal hammer was incredible, none of it with any merit. I actually had an album by Bullyrag. That's officially the lowest point in my life to date, and I had a GP swab my bellend for an std I got off a fat bird outside Havana Browns in Cork!

:laugh:

My low point was The Step Kings.  Or maybe Snot  :-[

What about these fucking losers? Pretty sure I had this album at some stage

https://youtu.be/XDf1_lbMmxA

Fucking Coal Chamber. Terrorizer pushed them as 'Korn but heavier'. They were not.