Type O in the sfx is a good memory, stuck mojo (absolute guff) were support, their singer came out to sing kill all the white people though, which was fun. I can remember a queue of people waiting to crowdsurf. You waited your turn, then got a little run up and there was a group of lads with backs to the stage and hands out. They gave you a launch and away ya go. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed because it wasn't up to fire codes or was stuffed with asbestos.

The good aul days  :) Up to  the pub on the top Moore street Flagans  of Boss cider for 3 quid . Then to the top of central banks steps to or stephens green to get pist  then to Paradise lost ( savage gig ) Then head Back to Charlies or the china man if you were brave ( Mad fucking kip  of pub )

Cans of Dorfmeister in Sean O casey, couple of bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 and away to the SFX, sweat box :)

Quote from: Aborted on September 09, 2019, 06:12:19 PM
My first metal gig was in the SFX  for Fear Factory / Will Haven and the mighty CUBANTE  :abbath: :abbath: :abbath:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fear-factory/1999/sfx-hall-dublin-ireland-5bd313a8.html  that encore  :O) <3

Always remember some big topless fat cunt barging through the crowd just as Wil Haven started yelling 'OUT OF THE WAY, THE MOSH PIT WARRIOR COMING THROUGH' or something equally fucking moronic. The guys started shoving and punching people because he was big fat cunt.. bully shit etc.
I'll never forget some guys I knew as well as many others got fed up of him and people proceeded to start running into the pit throwing flying kicks and everything at him until he eventually fucked off .. a sight to behold  :laugh:

When shock kicked in, it  was something I'll never forget .. just VOOOMP

Was at this Gig too and that encore was unreal! i also remember that fat f*cker  he got a good few shoves & Punches from everyone that night!

Didn't get to hit a whole lot there, I was at both Slayer Shows in 2000. Fu Manchu were an incredibly odd choice, their set was met with complete apathy both nights. Two great shows by Slayer though, some great stuff aired, Captor of Sin, Evil Has No Boundaries, the pits never stopped.

The Deftones show in 99 was something else too, pretty much aired all of Adrenaline and Around the Fur, great energy from the band and crowd, if memory serves me correct Chino minced some lads shoulder leaping from a speaker. I read that he got 37K off MCD some years later !!!! One Minute Silence supported that night - one of the worst bands I've ever seen. Their brand off piss poor rap metal sounded dated even then.

Offspring was the last show I took in there- really good. They hadn't quite caught their second wind of fame with Americana and gone completely gimmicky, so it was a heads down affair, just remember wave after wave of people crowdsurfing.

"DEFTOOOONES IN THE HOOOOOUUUUUUSE"

One Minute Silence were a terrible idea made even worse by the inclusion of a middle aged Tipperary (South Central Tipperary, let's not forget) man who thought he was the white Ice Cube Wasn't his name "Yip" or "yap" or something?Presumably because he never shut the fuck up. Fuck me. What a terrible band.

It's a long long way from Tipperary
South Central
Tippar-aaaay!

Such inspired lyrics. The lad lived in the fucking UK! He may have meant referring to the famous South Central district in Chelsea...

OMS were among the dire English darlings being perpetually peddled by Metal Hammer during the 90s and really rang out the death knell for me of that whole era,  along with the abysmal likes of Defenestration and Kill II This. 

Christ I feel old .... I saw the following gigs in the SFX

Dio & Queenryche 1984 (Queenryche was mispelled on the ticket as Queens Rycht)
Mama's Boys 1985 & 1987
Gary Moore 1985
Magnum 1985
Marillion 1985
Ozzy 1986
Dokken 1986
Def Leppard 1986 & 1987 (87 was with Tesla)
Queenryche Operation Mindcrime Tour .... setlist has this as "Empires Tour 1990" .... but I remember seeing them do the entire Operation Mindcrime album in the SFX ... not sure it was 1990 though ... I'll have to look at the old tickets.

My gig going then pretty much switched to McGonagles as that's were most Thrash bands played , and the the Top Hat.

#38 September 10, 2019, 11:59:43 AM Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:43:25 PM by Paul keohane
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 10, 2019, 09:32:24 AM
OMS were among the dire English darlings being perpetually peddled by Metal Hammer during the 90s and really rang out the death knell for me of that whole era,  along with the abysmal likes of Defenestration and Kill II This.
Honestly i thought metal was fucked around this era because of some of these utter atrocious bands!.How the fuck was any of that shite ever accepted!.I was seriously disillusioned with the scene for a while back then.

Same.  I remember these bands getting endless hype and even primed as I was to listen to that very modern sound,  this stuff still sounded kind of pathetic.  I had a brief period of thinking that I'd 'grown out of metal' but then decided to start buying Terrorizer (it hadn't quite turned to shit at that stage), Metal Maniacs and taking a chance on less celebrated,  underground bands.  If only I had the cop on to do that from the start :laugh:

It culminated with the wretched Ozzy-free Ozzfest where my mate and I were going to whichever stage the band were just finishing up on so we wouldn't have to watch and listen to whatever abomination was on stage in front of us. Therapy? aside, it was a long fucking wait for Slayer.

QuoteOMS were among the dire English darlings

Jesus there was some list of shit English bands touted by both mags back when they had serious sway. You could do a very long list of shit bands that were utterly blessed to have any type of career. At the same time those magazines used to routinely slaughter bands like Iron Maiden, right up until Bruce's return actually laughing at them. Shoe is on the other foot now, without Maiden etc they wouldn't even shift the paltry numbers they currently do.

Metal Hammer championed shite like OMS, Kill 2 This and Pulkas all the time. A terrible time for metal. It's amazing how back in 1996/1997 that they wrote about bands like Maiden, Priest and Megadeth as if they were relics whose time was up. Now over 20 years later they're leading lights when they are actually relics who should give it up  :laugh:

Back on the SFX though, wasn't there a Maiden gig there with Blaze that had fuck all at it?

3 Colours Red were like the second coming of Led Zeppelin or something to those charlatans at mid to late 90s Metal Hammer.

I have a bunch of them in my gaff at present. Was flicking through recently and read a snidey review of the re release of Rotting Christs stone cold classic debut Thy Mighty Contract. They gave it 6/10, compared it to Deicide and said it might appeal to 2 people! Cunts!!

First SFX gig was Offspring. Wasn't into the band but was excited to be there up from the sticks, sipping cans and going after rock chicks.  8)

Think I also saw the Fear Factory gig and remember being severely devasted at missing Deftones.

Vibe a bit similar to Glasgow Barrowlands I think.

Yeah 3 Colours Red were another band who were promoted endlessly.  Was there a connection to The Wildhearts there? I remember hearing them and not getting the fuss.  Pure grand.