Caught a bit of this RTÉ programme yesterday it was the one about teddy boys in Ireland. There was a bit with some lads from a heavy metal band. My question is did they do a programme dedicated to heavy metal fans or just throw it in with the teddy boys. Is this making sense, savagely hungover.

I'm coincidentally out for a ramble with Muirus now- he with the dreads in the show (Bacterium, Bloody Kisses,  ex-Apostate Viaticum). That is the only episode that featured metal but it was a nice little series.

Yeah it's very good actually, very interesting, would've been great to see one dedicated to metal entirely though but what can you do

Muiris said that they filmed 13 hours of him between interviews,  Apostate rehearsal and the pub scene. They used around 3 minutes in total  :laugh:

Yeah I was hoping for more, in fairness the rehearsal sounded great, just a shame, they could have created a whole programme about it I believe, in the early 90's and later Dublin had a great metal scene in terms of the amount of people around, it had some great venues and great bands, good times

It's a pity.  I think there's a lot too dig into alright.

Think this is being shown again. Or is it a new series?

Think it's a new series as I've seen a few people posting about appearing in it, one is going to be on the local metal scene.

Yep it's a new season of it. 4 episodes each focussing on hip hop, dance music, indie and heavy metal in Ireland according to the website. Simom from Primordial is mentioned in the little blurb for the metal one.

That metal episode is on tonight, RTE 1 at 7:30.

#10 March 29, 2021, 05:07:57 PM Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:09:54 PM by Eoin McLove
I think the dance one was the most insightful episode so far, despite really hating that music. I was surprised at how difficult it seems to have become for that scene between late pub opening hours combined with the relatively early closing hours for clubs. It also seemed to be a quite rebellious movement in many ways, possibly a lot more so than metal. What was revealing was how that episode mostly focused on the older generation and their experiences of the nascent scene in the 80s and 90s. It gave it more of an expert feeling.

The indie episode was a load of guff, really. Bar your man in Galway who put on a lot of gigs it was very much a fluff episode that really didn't shine much of a light on the scene bar the fact that the music is mostly awful and so is the fashion  :laugh:

I have a bad feeling about tonight's episode but hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Who was that in Galway, was it Gugaí from the Roisín Dubh by any chance?

Quote from: Carnage on March 29, 2021, 05:27:21 PM
Who was that in Galway, was it Gugaí from the Roisín Dubh by any chance?

Just watching it now, and ya tis him.

I hope Corr Mhona are on tonight. Ideal spokespeople to show we're not all neanderthals.

Could have been far worse, in fairness. You have to look at it through the eyes of the general public I suppose, in which case it was a decent spin up of metal culture.

I did find it strange that even filming during covid this was the one episode so far that didn't really manage to speak to any native promoters, pub owners etc. Metal was essentially depicted as something you can take an interest in here, but then fuck off to Europe to actually do.

Maybe people declined to take part, who knows.

Your one from the indie episode who was talking about her clothes all episode and then uttered the line "I love when you can be in a pub or club and they'll play MGMT!" was like a living, breathing meme.  She had me in hysterics.

It was a bit all over the shop, the parts with Simon from Primordial were cool, but it could have done without stuff like yer wan from Dead Label talking about wall of deaths and that sort of shite.

Some of the people just weren't metal heads either, I don't mean it in an elitist way but the oul lad and his son are obviously blues rock heads and the lads playing the strat and at the drums were more post hardcore or something.

Nothing wrong with those genres but if you only have 25 minutes to make a show about metal then make it about metal.