Twas the same with the other ones. Indie's been an utterly disposable term for years, and the mods episode may as well have had my mam and dad in it. "I wear nice shirts and listen to Weller".

The hip-hop one felt the best to me, to be honest, and I'm not into it at all. But they're the best around right now at courting that kinda right on attention and feeling fresh whilst putting an Irish spin on something quite global.

The dance one was good, but RTE were understandably never going to properly touch on that cheap speed spirituality of suffering the sunset with your mates which - fantastical codswallop though it may or may not be - was such an intrinsic part of rave's most important years.  If you want a decent conversation about rave, you're going to want to go there whether you feel the revolution was real or not, man.

If you're not into any of it and want a decent insight into the imaginative DIY that goes into some of that early stuff, look up interviews with someone like Ceephax Acid Crew. Acid house was taking off at the same time as Scandinavian black metal, and there's a lot of parallels in terms of how it was done.

Not a bad series by RTE's standards.

And they're low standards indeed.

Yeah, could have been worse - and they stretched the genre a lot with Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy etc. under the metal banner - but overall it was just the general public's existing idea of metal fans put on camera.

Quote from: ldj on March 29, 2021, 08:19:24 PM
It was a bit all over the shop, the parts with Simon from Primordial were cool, but it could have done without stuff like yer wan from Dead Label talking about wall of deaths and that sort of shite.

Some of the people just weren't metal heads either, I don't mean it in an elitist way but the oul lad and his son are obviously blues rock heads and the lads playing the strat and at the drums were more post hardcore or something.

Nothing wrong with those genres but if you only have 25 minutes to make a show about metal then make it about metal.

Pretty much agree with this.

Cool to have metal on the telly, though.