Anyone given this a listen?

For anyone that doesn't know them they're a psychedelic rock band from Australia. Apparently they've been teasing a thrash metal album for a while and this is it. To be honest I've only listened to bits and pieces of their stuff before but I thought this seemed interesting enough to finally check out a full album.

I have to say it's actually pretty good, I very rarely listen to modern thrash but there's enough outside influence to keep it interesting. Lot of weird atonal stuff. Some parts also have an acid rock vibe, life if Uncle Acid were playing Thrash.

They've released 15 albums since 2012, so you'd wonder what the ratio of good/filler is like but this is hitting the spot.

King Gizzard are fucking unreal, ferocious live. Their killer/filler ratio is solid.

As you said, this is thrashy but with enough of that psych influence to sound their own, especially in the bouncy bass and rhythm section in general, the delay fuckery, etc. I feel like there's actual songwriting here, which is unfortunately what turns me off a lot of modern thrash.

This was song of 2017 for me

https://youtu.be/uLP8rFrL1W0

Only heard them for the first time a few months ago. They're fucking class. Pure savage space jam.

I've heard their name a lot recently but kind of been put off by the amount of material they have and people saying their stuff can be drastically different between albums. Would this be their most straight forward metal record?

It's their only metal record. They're not a metal band at all..

Quote from: Trev on August 22, 2019, 08:59:32 PM
I've heard their name a lot recently but kind of been put off by the amount of material they have and people saying their stuff can be drastically different between albums. Would this be their most straight forward metal record?

They seem to be a 'jack of all trades' sort of band, not awful by any stretch but a little bit inconsistent for me, just personal preferences speaking not a criticism.

A slightly faster 'The Sword' came to mind. It's decent enough stuff, nothing mind blowing

Got around to listening to this for the first time there. A fairly dumbed down Voivod (not an insult by any stretch of the imagination) is what came to my mind.