Been on a mad Blackdeath buzz over the last while and have been trying to dig out more worthy bands but find the Cyrillic alphabet more or less impenetrable. Im already aware of most of the big names and Blazebirth Hall scene like Forest, Branikald, Walknut etc so would be interested in any recommendations of similar and second wave style/90s bands. Cheers.  :abbath:

I'm no expert on BM let alone Russian BM, but I do enjoy the Siberian stylings of Devilgroth.

Most of the earlier Old Wainds stuff is decent.

I've only listened to bits and pieces by some of the Blazeberth Hall bands and some of it sounds cool.  Bilkskirnir particularly stood out,  but I've yet to nab anything.  Where's good to start with those bands?

Not Russian but close enough in style to some of those bands might be Mooncitadel. Raw,  catchy and synthy stuff from Finland.

Ljosazabojstwa from Belarus (nearly Russia!) are cool but don't sound like the BH bands. 

Blazebirth Hall bands like Branikald, Nitberg, Walknut or any band that features a guy call Kaldrad seems to be quite good. Think DTB are in the process of reprinting the Forest debut at the moment, probably good place to start as original versions are fairly hard to get and pricey. Bilkskinir are German as far as I  know and yeah pretty cool stuff. Belarus is close enough and I'm not hip enough on my political geography to argue for or against inclusion.
As for Mooncitadel, yeah top stuff and I actually recommended them to you on the old MI site! Lol
Old Wainds are good shout too

#5 April 04, 2019, 10:52:46 AM Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:41:25 PM by Eoin McLove
I assumed Bilskirnir were Russian! Sure look it... I'll have to pick up those Forest reissues even though it's a pain in the hoop getting stuff from DTB now.

Whats the problem with ordering from DTB?

PayPal have blocked them/Merchant of Death.

First few Forest albums.

Go get em. You'll pick up the tapes on discogs. Perfect format for the style.

Cold distant underground sound. Godly stuff!

Branikald too. Awesome

Quote from: Grim Reality on April 06, 2019, 11:51:57 PM
First few Forest albums.

Go get em. You'll pick up the tapes on discogs. Perfect format for the style.

Cold distant underground sound. Godly stuff!

Branikald too. Awesome
Yeah definitely get them while you still can, I'd assumed Discogs would have banned any Blazebirth Hall bands as NSBM or whatever
A good band I stumbled upon recently :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D7hRFTiJSRI4&ved=2ahUKEwjdjtHr7L7hAhXZSxUIHWC6DqcQFjAHegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0D7nnvPOG5jBSesBrkWzBm

Kaldrad,  founding member of the Blazebirth Hall scene as well as bands such as Forest, Nitberg and Branikald has died. Hit by a car as far as I know.  R.I.P

#11 April 29, 2019, 04:03:43 PM Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:09:36 PM by Cailleach
Dagorath, who left Blazebirth Hall due to ideological differences, released an album last year. I enjoyed his first album Stronghold of Ruin.

Quote from: Cailleach on April 29, 2019, 04:03:43 PMDagorath, who left Blazebirth Hall due to ideological differences, released an album last year. I enjoyed his first album Stronghold of Ruin.

It's a great demo all right 

https://youtu.be/49e_Xf1CKvI

Grima are very interesting Atmospheric Black Metal from Siberia, worth a listen if you haven't already

Quote from: Necr0rceN on August 12, 2023, 08:46:40 PMGrima are very interesting Atmospheric Black Metal from Siberia, worth a listen if you haven't already
Yes, they are good too.