February 08, 2019, 11:08:52 PM Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:47:00 PM by leatherface
What are your favoured side projects or 'super groups' (past and present) from favourite artists? Also, your least favoured and why,

Some of my favourites are/were; Temple of The Dog (Pearl Jam/Soundgarden),  Nailbomb (Sepultura/Fudge Tunnel) , S.O.D. (Anthrax/Nuclear Assault/M.O.D), robot (Dave Grohl + ..) to name but a few.

Least favourite was Fight (Rob Halford) although it did alright for the time.

Temple of the Dog. What an album.
Blood Revolt.

The Ravenous
Members of Necrophagia, Autopsy, Brutal Truth etc playing punky deathgrind. First album and "Three on a Meathook" EP are all good nasty stuff.

old season
i suppose you could consider it a side project for the vocalist
its a million times better than the boring stuff he did in his main band

#4 February 09, 2019, 06:38:58 AM Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:51:17 AM by Juggz
KXM - Dokken, Kings X and Korn members with two great modern rock albums
Ultraphonix - Living Colour, Dokken, Philm, very decent rock
Supershine - Trouble and Kings X sounds exactly like Trouble mixed with Kings X, some great songs on that album
Pinnick Gales Pridgen - Doug Pinnick gets around, but they’re usually quite decent
Vallenfyre - Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride and At The Gates members. I’m not a fan of their day job bands but these three albums are class.
S.O.D. - Anthrax and Nuclear Assault created the soundtrack to many a teenage life and, while it has aged a bit, was quite revolutionary for the time, some of the earliest blasts ever recorded.

As already mentioned,  Temple Of The Dog and Mad Season were superb.

Vallenfyre had an amazingly good 3 album run. A shame I never got to see them live.

The first Down album is a thing of beauty. Everything else they did paled in comparison.

Down, of course yeah.  NOLA is a stone cold classic.

Could Death be counted as a supergroup in a sense? Like someone was saying in the other thread the Human demos were still quite early Death style but bringing in the Cynic guys and Digiorgio completely changed the sound

#8 February 09, 2019, 03:35:53 PM Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:38:39 PM by leatherface
Death was primarily Chuck and hired hands, same as Megadeth is Dave & Dave plus hired hands. Couldn't call either a supergroup personally. A side project or supergroup or is normally a once off thing in terms of releases, maybe two albums.

Love the two Winery Dogs albums, just good, catchy modern rawk.

Would Howling Sycamore count?

Vhol are deadly.

Heavy Metal with some black/crust/thrash influences with members of Yob, Hammers of Misfortune and Agalloch.

Quote from: ldj on February 09, 2019, 11:08:11 PM
Vhol are deadly.

Heavy Metal with some black/crust/thrash influences with members of Yob, Hammers of Misfortune and Agalloch.

Have 'Deeper Than Sky' sitting on the shelf, really liked it at the time, must give it a listen again.

Shrinebuilder

Doom metal, stoner rock

Associated acts
Om, Neurosis, Melvins, Saint Vitus, Sleep

Members
Scott Kelly
Al Cisneros
Dale Crover
Wino

They put on a great show in Cork a few years back

Fantomas (Mike Patton, Buzz Osborne, Dave Lombardo, Trevor Dunn) are probably top for me.  Seeing them live years ago sealed the deal there, they had Terry Bozzio on drums for the Dublin gig which was a nice suprise.

Sumac probably count - Aaron Turner, Brian Cooke, and Nick Yacyshyn.  Savage band.

Down and The Company Band off the top of my head.