Just read this quite bitter article with Rob Dukes. Some of these guys are so fucking deluded. I do feel for the guy in the sense that he lost his pay packet at an awkward age but you're a bog standard vocalist in a band that no matter how much are romanticised never cut the mustard commercially. Talk of Holt "abandoning" his brothers etc. Who wouldn't have joined Slayer after a 30 odd year career playing bars and clubs, spoken of in the same breath as the big four but never actually seeing the cash.

http://loudwire.com/gary-holt-abandoned-exodus-for-slayer-bandmate-says/

More generally speaking, how do guys like Dukes etc for a second not consider that Zetro will make a return to the band at some point. Yeah, they fucking hate each other but when it comes to business and numbers the call will be made, how do these guys not see that? Blaze was the exact same in Maiden, loads of other examples, are their egos that far off?. The only one who seemed to be aware that he had a finite stint in a major act was Ripper in Judas Priest.

Quote from: Cryptic Stench on January 31, 2019, 11:20:47 AM

More generally speaking, how do guys like Dukes etc for a second not consider that Zetro will make a return to the band at some point. Yeah, they fucking hate each other but when it comes to business and numbers the call will be made, how do these guys not see that? Blaze was the exact same in Maiden, loads of other examples, are their egos that far off?. The only one who seemed to be aware that he had a finite stint in a major act was Ripper in Judas Priest.
That's not always the case though. I can't see Max Cavalera ever back with Sepultura.Rachel Bolan has shot down a reunion with Bach every time it's mentioned, he knows it'd make more money but clearly can't stand the guy

Ripper was there to pretend he was Rob, though. He was never allowed do his own thing. In that sense, the writing would have been on the wall from day one for him.

Guys like Dukes and, to a lesser degree, John Bush came into these bands at low ebb, where it WAS about the band/music and not as much about the money.
So to put in the graft only to get fucked out of a band to follow easier money on the nostalgia train must be a bitter pill to swallow regardless of how it increases a bands income/popularity.

QuoteI can't see Max Cavalera ever back with Sepultura.Rachel Bolan has shot down a reunion with Bach every time it's mentioned, he knows it'd make more money but clearly can't stand the guy

The two instances I hoped wouldn't be brought up! Very unique both of them, Skid Row especially, the "band" Bolan etc seem to be financially set through other revenue streams and are dogged in ploughing on with a succession of ill fitting singers playing to a continually reducing audience such is their hatred of Bach.

Sepultura are a little different, major rift and although Soulfly met with immediate success, I'd say Sepultura are a more competant outfit in terms of performing and probably do more numbers than Soulfly these days. The absolute state of Max's guitar playing and voice now means it would be detrimental to reunite. The Cavelera thing with Igor playing the old Seps stuff hardly broke records for ticket sales. Bars and Clubs.

Bush handled his exit with far more class. At least he had the awareness to understand the business side of the move. Duke's hasn't a clue!

Regardless if Dukes had a clue or not is was a shit thing to to him and really put me off the band. I looked like Metal Journalists pretty much wet their knickers over it but it was a real lowlife move to grab the nostalgia cash.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

Dukes is, by many accounts, hard work to be around. What happened to him is no worse than what happened to Mustaine when Hammet was coming in.

Quotegrab the nostalgia cash.

Nostalgia cash? They went from playing bars and clubs with Dukes to..............playing bars and clubs with Zetro.

Quote from: Juggz on February 04, 2019, 06:43:23 AM
Dukes is, by many accounts, hard work to be around. What happened to him is no worse than what happened to Mustaine when Hammet was coming in.

Was he an awkward type? Hadn't heard too much bad about him.

No anecdotal evidence but always hated his tough man act on stage, up there with Robb Flynn.