Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 30, 2019, 04:13:45 PM
As Jamie said,  they claimed to be evil,  their music was dark and praised evil and their actions backed it up.  I don't live my life that way or think that arson and murder is really cool,  but these acts in a way have become removed from reality and set into mythology.  For people who fundamentally think the music is shit then of course it's just dickheads playing dungeons and dragons and committing despicable acts. If you are interested in the phenomenon and love the music then the two go hand in hand.  I'm neither defending what happened nor trying to convince anyone to agree with my view of the thing,  but that's how it looks to me.

thats cool just sounded like you were kinda glorifying it for some reason. 
everytime theres a thread on dissection it always descends into this.
i always try not to get sucked in but here i am going on like a moany old cunt haha

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 30, 2019, 04:16:52 PM
My response was directed at Blessed 1.

Mine too  :laugh:

And to Blessed1, I wouldn't glorify any of that shit. I think there was an element of circus to Dissection when they came back. The album was woeful, and it felt kind of like a relic from a lost age had been uncovered and the chance to see them live was almost too good to miss due to how amazing they had been. Even at the gig I remember thinking to myself that the lad on stage has just come out of jail for killing someone and it was a strange feeling. Anyway, the oul gun to the head levelled all that up..maybe there was remorse there, maybe not, we'll never know.

I reckon the only way to solve this as gentlemen is to meet behind the bike sheds after school and all stab each other in the head.  Last man standing gets to make necklaces from the other's skull fragments, burn a stave church to the ground and commit ritual suicide.

This is black metal. Being a gentleman has nothing to do with it. Apparently.

Quote from: Cernunnos on January 30, 2019, 01:00:41 PM
Slightly off topic, im sure some of you know Cardinal Sin, if not it was a project composed by John Zwetsloot, who helped write a lot of the somberlian songs also  "Night's Blood and "Retribution ".

Excellent EP and very like Dissection. Never released anything after this as far as I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv_b3UCK5Sg
Yeap I heard of them.I think that guy Zwetsloot only wrote some of the tracks on the Somberlain, There was another guitarist for Storm album as he played on the gods of darkness tour and also did a side project band  Soul Reaper which are also worth checking out.

Quote from: Pedrito on January 29, 2019, 09:31:12 PM
It's a fair response. Everyone has to make up their own mind on it and there's no point trying to justify it. I personally just loved those first 2 albums and I never really paid much attention to a lot of the drama and nonsense of the band or of black metal. It was fascinating but it didn't attract me across the board. The core bands were amazing, and then there was loads of hanger on stuff that went with it. Lots of ego feeding, sycophants, the whole shebang I'm sure. In a genre that put so much emphasis on the darm, the arcane, the mystical.and hidden, it's no wonder it all started to warp.

As far as Nodtveidt, it was obvious he was not your regular sultan of swing at the gig. I don't know if drugs were playing a part but the eyes were swimming in his head. It made for a very intense experience overall. So when people talk about paying the bills or making Dawson's Creek style movies in relation to these guys, it doesn't add up. All the violence, the malevolence, the darkness, it obviously meant a lot to Nodtveidt. It's definitely not the way I would choose to live or view life..very dark and cold. One would wonder what was the source of all of it. Stuart Anstis made an interesting point one time about Aspergers I think it was, that he had it and how he was convinced Nodtveidt had it, the aloofness, the inability to empathy..who knows, I certainly don't anyway but it could explain things. The albums were class, the atmosphere on them is untouchable, especially Storm. I wluldn't be able to justify anything outside of that, other than on a purely musical level, I needed to see them live.

It's interesting though..I never really got Emperor, god knows I tried, and I always found that Faust guy a scumbag, horrible bastard. Vicious thugs an awful lot of these lads. Hard to marry it up though when you actually really love an album..an odd one indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLwsw0SJNs
Speaking of mad eyes why don't you do a bit of translating for us there ba  ;)

Quote from: Blizzard Beast on January 30, 2019, 07:51:11 PM
Slightly off topic, im sure some of you know Cardinal Sin, if not it was a project composed by John Zwetsloot, who helped write a lot of the somberlian songs also  "Night's Blood and "Retribution ".

Excellent EP and very like Dissection. Never released anything after this as far as I know

Yeap I heard of them.I think that guy Zwetsloot only wrote some of the tracks on the Somberlain, There was another guitarist for Storm album as he played on the gods of darkness tour and also did a side project band  Soul Reaper which are also worth checking out.

Just checking out soul reapers written in blood album....pretty straight out death metal, sounds good so far.

Quote from: Cernunnos on January 30, 2019, 09:14:12 PM
Quote from: Blizzard Beast on January 30, 2019, 07:51:11 PM

Just checking out soul reapers written in blood album....pretty straight out death metal, sounds good so far.

Another dissection related band that Jon was in is "The Black" he did vocals, guitar and keyboards on the album the priest of Satan. Great album imo.

+1 for The Black" The priest of Satan" . Great record.

Quote from: Blizzard Beast on January 30, 2019, 07:57:01 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on January 29, 2019, 09:31:12 PM
It's a fair response. Everyone has to make up their own mind on it and there's no point trying to justify it. I personally just loved those first 2 albums and I never really paid much attention to a lot of the drama and nonsense of the band or of black metal. It was fascinating but it didn't attract me across the board. The core bands were amazing, and then there was loads of hanger on stuff that went with it. Lots of ego feeding, sycophants, the whole shebang I'm sure. In a genre that put so much emphasis on the darm, the arcane, the mystical.and hidden, it's no wonder it all started to warp.

As far as Nodtveidt, it was obvious he was not your regular sultan of swing at the gig. I don't know if drugs were playing a part but the eyes were swimming in his head. It made for a very intense experience overall. So when people talk about paying the bills or making Dawson's Creek style movies in relation to these guys, it doesn't add up. All the violence, the malevolence, the darkness, it obviously meant a lot to Nodtveidt. It's definitely not the way I would choose to live or view life..very dark and cold. One would wonder what was the source of all of it. Stuart Anstis made an interesting point one time about Aspergers I think it was, that he had it and how he was convinced Nodtveidt had it, the aloofness, the inability to empathy..who knows, I certainly don't anyway but it could explain things. The albums were class, the atmosphere on them is untouchable, especially Storm. I wluldn't be able to justify anything outside of that, other than on a purely musical level, I needed to see them live.

It's interesting though..I never really got Emperor, god knows I tried, and I always found that Faust guy a scumbag, horrible bastard. Vicious thugs an awful lot of these lads. Hard to marry it up though when you actually really love an album..an odd one indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLwsw0SJNs
Speaking of mad eyes why don't you do a bit of translating for us there ba  ;)

He introduces himself and salutes the Diabolic Order and some other Muggle haters..

Just finished the Blood fire death book, the last interview he gave he came across as totally cold .
Completely brainwashed into whatever he believed. Absolutely no remorse on the killing and even loved chaos as in relating to the 9/11 attacks,  to be honest i say good riddance sounded like a total scumbag, with no sense of reality