1. Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
2. MALTHUSIAN - Demo MMXIII
3. Sodb - Don Seantalamh A Chuid Fein
4. ALtar of Plagues - Teethed Glory & Creamy Guinness
5. Abaddon Incarnate - The Last Supper

& You?  :abbath:

How many albums do Fatima Mansions have again?

Ah no only winding, good idea should get some good stuff brought up. Where's McLove, he loves list threads iirc

Quote from: Danny on May 16, 2024, 05:14:37 PM1. Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
2. MALTHUSIAN - Demo MMXIII
3. Sodb - Don Seantalamh A Chuid Fein
4. ALtar of Plagues - Teethed Glory & Creamy Guinness
5. Abaddon Incarnate - The Last Supper

& You?  :abbath:

Johnny nearly cleared the decks there. Was in 4 of the bands and played on 3 of the releases. Maybe change it to releases rather than albums given the inclusion of the demo, or strike the demo.

I didn't even realise that but yeah I guess Johnny is easily one of the best professional metal drummers from Ireland; he has done very well for himself.

Yeah releases, albums, eps, demos, "projects".. whatever- it's all good. Top 5 lets go I am curious to see for others what the fuck could beat out The Gathering Wilderness...

Abaddon Incarnate - The Last Supper
Primordial- The Gathering Wilderness
Mourning Beloveth - Dust
Rebirth of Nefast/Slidhr - Ex Nihilio
Wreck of the Hesperus - Eulogy for the Sewer Dwellers

Not ranked. Toss up between Dust and The Sullen Sulcus.

In no particular order -

PRIMORDIAL - The Gathering Wilderness
ZEALOT CULT - Spiritual Sickness
DREAD SOVEREIGN - For Doom The Bell Tolls
STEREO NASTY - Nasty By Nature
ZOM - Flesh Assimilation

#6 May 16, 2024, 08:24:40 PM Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 08:31:42 PM by Eoin McLove
Abaddon Incarnate- The Last Supper.
Mourning Beloveth- The Sullen Sulcus (or Dust or Formless depending on the day)
Primordial- Spirit the Earth Aflame.
Arcane Sun- s/t
Geasa- Angels Cry (a controversial one for myself as I hated it for twenty years and have grown to love it in the past two)

Not in any order.

It's 5.30am on Friday here in Oz. I have today off work and I'm up at my usual work time despite turning off the alarm so I might as well put the free time to good use and stick on one or two of these local classics before the family begin to stir :)

By top, I am going to say the ones I have probably listened to and went back to the most over the years, from 5 different bands (an actually top 5 would probably be just Primordial and Mourning Beloveth albums).

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Mourning Beloveth - Dust
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Waylander - Reawakening Pride Once Lost
Old Season - Volume One (listened to this so much when it came out)

Not an album but ,Hexxed- Transgression is up there with the best to come out of Ireland.

Wait, we are including Lizzy? Sure they would take all 5 spots so...  :laugh:

You know what I haven't listened to The Gathering wilderness in years,will put it on now!.

Quote from: Paul keohane on May 16, 2024, 10:18:42 PMNot an album but ,Hexxed- Transgression is up there with the best to come out of Ireland.

Without a doubt. Needs a vinyl release.

I'll Eat Your Face - Hot Brains Terror or Irritant, I can't pick one, are definitely in my top 5.

Thin Lizzy were not a heavy metal band, can we just get that out of the way now?

Quote from: The Wretch on May 16, 2024, 10:22:59 PMWait, we are including Lizzy? Sure they would take all 5 spots so...  :laugh:

Yeah;No- I think we should stick to Irish METAL records of any sort & not include rock or other genres here. I love Thin Lizzy as much as the next Irish rocker, but if someone starts listing The Joshua Tree next to The Last Supper now; I think we will lose our way. I brought up this topic to see what metal albums from Irish bands are as incredible as Primordial's best album.

No surprise really so far it would appear we have learned again that The Gathering Wilderness is often Primordial's most revered & top rated work. You just can't deny the genius & virtue of songs like The Golden Spiral & The Coffin Ships. I like all their albums but this one is perfect. I think its both the best Irish heavy metal record as it the best black or celtic metal album.

Also of course we can see that any Irish metalhead worth their weight respects & hails humbly the sheer undeniable brutality captured on that fuckin The Last Supper album. Nadir is not bad too-but didn't really click with me, the rest of their stuff less so...but Last Supper has got to be the best Irish death metal album still.

Mourning Beloveth never really did shit for me. I might revisit down them the line.

ZOM for me, I enjoy their aesthetic; but their actual music bored the hole off me, it just crosses the line for me I guess into just fuckin noise.