#30 March 27, 2024, 09:37:44 PM Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:51:37 PM by Pentagrimes
Don't overlook Dark Angels "Leave Scars", as unpopular an opinion as it may be. Muckier production tham DD (which I actually like) and a few moments of filler but I think it's a classic. Heavy as fuck. "The Death of innocence","The Promise of Agony" and the title track are particularly lethal.

Similarly Prong's "Force Fed" is sorely overlooked. Forget anything you know about them, it's a cold, harsh, weird record that charges along with some seriously cool riffs. You can hear the hardcore influence and even the early Swans/Sonic Youth nihilism, but it's straight up precision thrash.

"Suffering Hour" by Anacrusis is well worth a blast as well. Bit patchy but again, heavy and unique, fits well with the 2 above. These are all far better than whatever second rate generic Euro shite people have retroactively praised in the subsequent decades of Thrash/Black Thrash revival.

XYSTER. Horrible vocals, horrible production, absolutely amazing. Like if Repulsion or Slaughter Lord had been a UK Thrash band.

But yeah,  Voivod, Coroner, Sabbat, "Obsessed by Cruelty", "Pleasure to Kill",  Hexx's "Quest For Sanity"/"Morbid Reality",Vacant Grave, first Vio-Lence..can't go wrong

Loudblast: Sensorial Treatment, more thrash than death metal but nearly there. Massacra would probably fit there too.

Hellbastard: Natural Order, somewhere between crossover thrash and punk/grind.

On top of Black Shepherd and Hellhammer, another of the kind of bands I think you might be after is Incubus. Serpent Temptation is a must listen, if you don't know it.

Pleasure To Kill, None Shall Defy and Darkness Descends...perfect thrash trilogy.

Darkness Descends has never grabbed me. I know people love it and rate it highly so I'll return to it again, but so far it hasn't hit the spot.

A lot of the essential stuff has been already mentioned.
Assassin, Exhumer, Poison (Germany), Morbid Saint, Bulldozer, Rigor Mortis, Whiplash and Protector are worth checking out.

You should do a trawl through the Noise and SPV 80's releases. The home of that Teutonic thrash sound.

Nuclear Assault, Sacred Reich, D.R.I, Sodom...

This feels like something Padre Pio John would excel at. Where is he these days, anybody know?

Some stuff already mentioned is essential; Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy, Sadus - Illusions/Chemical Exposure, Whiplash - Power and Pain and Slaughter - Strappado.

Some others:

Incubus - Serpent Temptation is legendary stuff, really great raw, brutal stuff leaning in the deathy direction. The follow up, Beyond The Unknown is good too but more in the vein of BTR Sepultura and the likes. Go by the name Opprobrium these days and I think they re-released all the Incubus stuff under that name in the intervening years.

Darkness - Death Squad  - More Teutonic stuff, scratchy and harsh sounding with a drummer who sounds like he's struggling to keep up. As all good thrash should be.

Kublai Khan - Annihilation is Pretty decent, raw stuff originally on New Renaissance. The main lad was in Megadeth for about 5 minutes around 83/83. Other new renaissance stuff like Blood Feast and At War are also worth checking out. Again, more death metal, but the First Necrophagia should get a look in too seeing as NR are being mentioned.

Mandator - Initial Velocity More leaning into the speed metal direction. But has an over the top sense to it that always appealed to me.

Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred. More recent (2000), but one of those ones that often gets mentioned when the subject of more 'recent' stuff comes up.

Everything by Havok is good. Good players too.

Quote from: Thanatos on March 28, 2024, 04:24:18 PMIncubus - Serpent Temptation is legendary stuff, really great raw, brutal stuff leaning in the deathy direction. The follow up, Beyond The Unknown is good too but more in the vein of BTR Sepultura and the likes. Go by the name Opprobrium these days and I think they re-released all the Incubus stuff under that name in the intervening years.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 27, 2024, 10:46:15 PMOn top of Black Shepherd and Hellhammer, another of the kind of bands I think you might be after is Incubus. Serpent Temptation is a must listen, if you don't know it.

That's two recs for Incubus Andy, get on it!  :abbath:

https://www.classicthrash.com/reviews.html

A great resource, though nothing really modern, sticks to old school releases mostly.

#44 March 29, 2024, 01:07:41 AM Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:18:47 AM by Petardo

I can't recommend Deathrow highly enough.
Riders of Doom and Raging Steel are fantastic albums.

Then they followed up with this absolute fucking masterpiece of progressive technical thrash metal.

Vektor lifted a riff or two from this beauty.