Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 25, 2026, 10:26:07 AMCoil - The Ape of Naples
Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1

Coil are a band that I swing from thinking are phenomenal to fairly boring and back again over the arc of their career.

"Horse Rotorvator" was lodged in my brain for weeks after I heard it. Much like Joy Division's "Closer".

Oddly enough - the same fella who gave me a tape of "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer" also gave me "Horse Rotorvator" and "How To Destroy Angels".

A Tribe Called Quest - "The Low End Theory"
David Bowie - "Station To Station"
David Bowie- "Stage"

#2118 September 30, 2026, 09:40:34 AM Last Edit: September 30, 2026, 11:40:56 AM by Maggot Colony
Quote from: astfgyl on September 30, 2026, 12:33:21 AMI thoroughly enjoyed The Ape Of Naples when I threw it on the other day. I'll give Backwards a go next.

I don't even know what sort of music I'd call The Ape.. , which is great.


You should check out Black Antlers as well. It's quite similar to Ape. Listening to it now. The Wraiths and Strays of Paris is a gorgeous tune.

Ape to me sounds like a seedier Swans too fucked on GHB to make a proper racket.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on September 30, 2026, 09:00:09 AM
Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 25, 2026, 10:26:07 AMCoil - The Ape of Naples
Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1

Coil are a band that I swing from thinking are phenomenal to fairly boring and back again over the arc of their career.


I know what you mean. Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1 has some sublime tunes on it and also Broccoli which is 9 minutes of absolute shite.

I've listened to two Coil albums and a few odds and sods on YouTube over the last few days and I'm thinking The Ape.. is probably the best of it from what I've heard.

I did listen to Horse Rotorvator years back and absolutely did not get it at all, so I'll give that one a go as well.


I heard a track from Fontaines DC this evening and actually really enjoyed what they did with the chorus of it. There was a sort of throw off the beat in the vocal that was quite interesting to me, so fair play to them for that, given anything I've heard from them previously did nothing at all for me.

I feel a bit dirty after writing that out but I need to confess to save my soul before the rapture

Ape would be my favourite too, with Black Antlers close behind.


On CD

Patrick Cassidy - Famine Remembrance

Patrick Cassidy - The Children of Lir

Talking to my Austrian neighbour afterwards he asked me what I was playing ['Famine Remembrance']  he was listening and enjoying it while hanging out the washing


One Leg One Eye - Crone (2026)

Gave it a listen to a few months ago upon release. Was in the daytime, so didn't quite resonate with ones chakras at those moments....
but have it on now, having a couple of cans of Murphy's seems to be helping cut the flow. Must look and see if it's still available on LP, is my endorsement...


https://onelegoneeye.bandcamp.com/album/crone


On BandCamp, yes it's available again. Niiiice....

That song "The New York Trader" on False Lankum (2023).....is an absolute belter!