#2100 September 22, 2026, 12:17:06 PM Last Edit: September 22, 2026, 12:19:24 PM by 101_North
I know there's a few on here that like jazz. Was fortunate enough to get to the Caol Ila Islay Jazz Festival a few weeks ago. A weekend of great music and incredible whisky on a stunning island! So much to enjoy but the highlight was a Romanian jazz trio called Amphitrio. Absolutely brilliant and so good to see music of this calibre in a very small venue!


https://youtu.be/byYIvZ9XyKs

Quote from: 101_North on September 22, 2026, 12:17:06 PMI know there's a few on here that like jazz. Was fortunate enough to get to the Caol Ila Islay Jazz Festival a few weeks ago. A weekend of great music and incredible whisky on a stunning island! So much to enjoy but the highlight was a Romanian jazz trio called Amphitrio. Absolutely brilliant and so good to see music of this calibre in a very small venue!


https://youtu.be/byYIvZ9XyKs


Just listened to the full album on my way home from work. Lovely stuff, I was caught in the rain however it was a beautiful soundtrack. Niiiiice.

Been listening to Lebanon Hannover a bit this week. Solid stuff. Very Joy Division but a bit more gothy (and not as good as JD of course). The thing that struck me was how popular they are. Way beyond the level you'd expect for something so niche-sounding...


I posted that Paul Spring album a while back. He released another recently and has been playing in Ireland for most of the last month (I probably should have given it a shout then, my fuck up  :abbath: Unless anyone is in the vicinity of Tralee tomorrow or Kenmare Friday, then you're in luck). I went to see him play two nights in a row, partly to atone for missing the last tour, rewarded with two very different but no less brilliant shows, one with a full band, the other more stripped back. Cemented in my mind now as the real deal, a masterful, hypnotic guitarist and singer.

The last time he was over, some great younger musicians linked up with him and they recorded this latest album, Barnstorm. It's a pretty different beast to Kind of Heaven, landing somewhere in the territory of Villagers and Fleet Foxes. The Baroque influence is way more up front, interpolated into some pretty rich folk style, with a less open/loose rhythm across much of the tracks than on Kind of Heaven, and overall somewhat less wistful though managing to never descend into outright cheese (to my ears, anyway). The trad influence isn't totally gone however, on tracks like Guardian Angel, Shovel and I'll Not Bother You, you've got pipes and some very very recognisably trad melodies and structures, but with that hint of a more locked rhythm giving em a bit of spice. A very rich album with intriguing performances from everyone, worth the time listening.

They recorded a few videos of songs from the album, here's the opener that's been plaguing my brain since I heard it. I think some on here will probably dig it if you liked the last one, definitely another dimension.



Quote from: OpenSores on September 22, 2026, 04:23:31 PMJust listened to the full album on my way home from work. Lovely stuff, I was caught in the rain however it was a beautiful soundtrack. Niiiiice.

That's cool you enjoyed it. They have a new ep out that has 3 great tunes on it.

Bookmarked for a proper listen later Yung Led, nice one.

Autechre fans: 1990 recording!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M70jmp-RCeY

Brahms - Clarinet Quintet in B Minor Op.115
Dvořák: String Quintet in E flat major Op.97 American (1893)

Great music for this time of year

Quote from: 101_North on September 22, 2026, 12:17:06 PMI know there's a few on here that like jazz. Was fortunate enough to get to the Caol Ila Islay Jazz Festival a few weeks ago. A weekend of great music and incredible whisky on a stunning island! So much to enjoy but the highlight was a Romanian jazz trio called Amphitrio. Absolutely brilliant and so good to see music of this calibre in a very small venue!


https://youtu.be/byYIvZ9XyKs

Just got around to listening to this, it was awesome, thanks.

Kind of like if John Carpenter was a jazz musician  :laugh:

#2109 September 25, 2026, 10:26:07 AM Last Edit: September 25, 2026, 11:15:59 AM by Maggot Colony
Coil - The Ape of Naples
Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1


Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 25, 2026, 10:26:07 AMCoil - The Ape of Naples
Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1

Always meaning to get stuck into some Coil. I'm after putting on The Ape.. here after reading your post

Quote from: astfgyl on September 27, 2026, 09:34:06 AM
Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 25, 2026, 10:26:07 AMCoil - The Ape of Naples
Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1

Always meaning to get stuck into some Coil. I'm after putting on The Ape.. here after reading your post

Fairly certain you're a NIN head, so you'd probably enjoy Backwards which was recorded at Nothing studio.

Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 29, 2026, 04:14:10 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 27, 2026, 09:34:06 AM
Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 25, 2026, 10:26:07 AMCoil - The Ape of Naples
Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1

Always meaning to get stuck into some Coil. I'm after putting on The Ape.. here after reading your post

Fairly certain you're a NIN head, so you'd probably enjoy Backwards which was recorded at Nothing studio.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Ape Of Naples when I threw it on the other day. I'll give Backwards a go next.

I don't even know what sort of music I'd call The Ape.. , which is great.

And yeah I'm seriously into NIN, you're dead right there

Quote from: astfgyl on September 30, 2026, 12:33:21 AM
Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 29, 2026, 04:14:10 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 27, 2026, 09:34:06 AM
Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 25, 2026, 10:26:07 AMCoil - The Ape of Naples
Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1

Always meaning to get stuck into some Coil. I'm after putting on The Ape.. here after reading your post

Fairly certain you're a NIN head, so you'd probably enjoy Backwards which was recorded at Nothing studio.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Ape Of Naples when I threw it on the other day. I'll give Backwards a go next.

I don't even know what sort of music I'd call The Ape.. , which is great.

And yeah I'm seriously into NIN, you're dead right there
Thankfully you've never mentioned that before  :laugh: