Anyone else excited for this one?  I'm waiting for the vinyl to land before getting stuck into it, just had a listen to the first two tracks. Musicianship is lethal, not 100% sure I'm sold on the cleaner more technical approach, I preferred the slop of Planetary Clairvoyance and Manor of Infinite forms but there's no denying the quality of the riffs. 

Love this band must dig out Planetary Clairvoyance

Im a massive fan,ive listened to it twice now,its very good.But I wish they'd stayed doing what they were doing tbh.

I love the album cover!

Bit of discussion in various other threads about it. It's very well done, they're clearing trying to challenge themselves a little and develop, and there's some cool riffs in there, I don't think I'll be coming back to it a whole lot. The Cynic/"Human" era Death fanboying is fine, just not for me.

I will say some of the backlash I've seen from people about them is fucking ridiculous in some places, they seem to be the new whipping boys for being "false" or "gay" or whatever else. Saw something yesterday where people were moaning about how they look on the cover of Decibel magazine (one of them has a handlebar mustache, 2 of them are short hair, they're wearing shorts, yada yada). Honestly, who gives a fuck at this stage?

I will say - classic old man Jamie quote coming up here - I prefer the various demos/eps they've done around the albums more than the actual full lengths, so while I dunno if i'd pick this up I'd quite like to grab that vinyl version of "Aperture of Body" that's coming out

That picture is fuckin atrocious, and that goes for any band. Hipster cunts.
Make death metal evil again!!! :abbath:

Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 20, 2023, 09:19:54 AMBit of discussion in various other threads about it. It's very well done, they're clearing trying to challenge themselves a little and develop, and there's some cool riffs in there, I don't think I'll be coming back to it a whole lot. The Cynic/"Human" era Death fanboying is fine, just not for me.

I will say some of the backlash I've seen from people about them is fucking ridiculous in some places, they seem to be the new whipping boys for being "false" or "gay" or whatever else. Saw something yesterday where people were moaning about how they look on the cover of Decibel magazine (one of them has a handlebar mustache, 2 of them are short hair, they're wearing shorts, yada yada). Honestly, who gives a fuck at this stage?

I will say - classic old man Jamie quote coming up here - I prefer the various demos/eps they've done around the albums more than the actual full lengths, so while I dunno if i'd pick this up I'd quite like to grab that vinyl version of "Aperture of Body" that's coming out

Human is my favourite album ever recorded, and Focus isn't a mile behind it. I can here the influence of them coming through here and it just isn't as compelling as the layer of dirt their previous releases had.

Even the art is like a Dealz Robert Venosa knock off FFS.

Disappointed with this one so far.

#6 September 20, 2023, 11:55:20 AM Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 11:59:16 AM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: open face surgery on September 20, 2023, 11:36:49 AMThat picture is fuckin atrocious, and that goes for any band. Hipster cunts.

Expected that  :laugh:

The question here really though..is this still dearh metal if you take away the vocals and the blast beats?

This is boring and I don't get the fuss.
I don't give a shit what they look like but I like the cover though.

I enjoyed the album and don't particularly give a shit one way or another what the lads look like.  It is the last thing worth considering when it comes to music anyway.  Same thing happened Chat Pile there a while back, a load of lads in a Noise Rock group on FB complained because the lads weren't wearing grey tees and vans or whatever the uniform for the genre is.

I never listened to any other Tomb Mold so must go back and try it out because if it is uglier again, it would be more up my alley.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 20, 2023, 11:55:20 AM
Quote from: open face surgery on September 20, 2023, 11:36:49 AMThat picture is fuckin atrocious, and that goes for any band. Hipster cunts.

Expected that  :laugh:

The question here really though..is this still dearh metal if you take away the vocals and the blast beats?

No. It's shite.

Enjoying the new record, not sure if I prefer it to Planetary yet, the releases before then I found decent but not quite up to the hype at the time.

Tbh couldn't give a shit what they look like, if a band does the whole evil thing as part of the package I enjoy it, but if not I'm not going to split hairs.

Only thing that might concern is the live performance, they have a drummer that does vocals, could it be a permanent Mastodon situation where the other members just sort of stand there, very hard to translate live.

Have given this a few spins since Friday, it's a little bit flat for me overall, it's kinda watery. I've always enjoyed their stuff so I'll give it a few more whirls but it's not looking like it'll have staying power for me.

Re: their appearance - one person made a dumb comment on Twitter and naturally the internet has amplified that massively over the last 48hrs. We'd be better off just ignoring that sorta guff than engaging with it.

True of all storms in teacups, I guess.

I dunno, sometimes you have to choose your tea cup to die on.

Quote from: ldj on September 20, 2023, 11:06:57 PMOnly thing that might concern is the live performance, they have a drummer that does vocals, could it be a permanent Mastodon situation where the other members just sort of stand there, very hard to translate live.

Well they've been doing it with him on vox for years successfully so why would they change now?

OK I'm no fan of the tech death genre but their last album was great.