July 06, 2023, 10:07:44 PM Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 10:09:39 PM by Eoin McLove
I picked up the Host album, IX, on Sunday not really expecting much from it as I'm not really into this sort of stuff. I'm not into Depeche Mode and I never got into that era of Paradise Lost either, but my wife likes DM so I thought that if I think it's shite she'll probably like it and can have it for her car. Turns out the album is an absolute winner. I can't stop listening to the damn thing. I wonder if it's time I check out Depeche Mode and that late 90s era of Paradise List to see if it will click. I think the minimal and classy looking artwork hooked me in. If the artwork sucked I might have been less likely to but it. Always judge a book by its cover, my dudes. Any other takers?

https://youtu.be/lkosFa6aiag

I heard the whole album once and the first single a few times - enjoyed it a lot but have yet to go back to it.  I would be a fan of that sort of thing anyway, I also like the PL albums around Host, love Depeche Mode (though the similarity here is more on the surface than knit in, if you get me, though if it spurs you to check out DM then all the better).

I have been listening to it in the car on repeat. Great driving music.

Yeah check out Depeche Mode they're great.

I had this on YouTube once but I keep forgetting about it I may throw it on again today.

QuoteI wonder if it's time I check out Depeche Mode and that late 90s era of Paradise List to see if it will click

I'm surprised to see so many enjoy IX, given the guff that style got initially and in reality Paradise Lost's Host is a far superior record. IX is grand, it's a pleasant enough distraction with one or two killer songs but it can't compete with Host itself, if your tastes have changed over the intervening years I'd urge you to go back and check it out. Lyrically there's great depth to it too, Nick's father was dying of cancer at the time, the title track itself is pretty bleak.

Believe in nothing is a mess, I'd only listen to it to satisfy curiosity and it's hands down their worst record. If you enjoy Host, Symbol of Life is worth a go. It's not quite the complete article, it opens up with two tracks that are a bit "Euro" metal. Erased always reminds me of Lacuna Coil and that's not a compliment, but get past those and there's some gems on there. Pray Nightfall and Symbol Of Life itself are two of my favourite PL tracks.

#5 July 07, 2023, 08:58:39 AM Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 09:01:16 AM by Eoin McLove
I was on a completely different buzz at the age of 17. I'm thinking Neurosis, Today is the Day, Pig Destroyer, Breach... soon heading towards Dillinger Escape Plan,  At the Drive In... More upbeat, noisy and chaotic stuff was the order of the day- structures that were challenging and unpredictable and productions that were hard on the ear. The likes of PL sounded a bit old hat by then, even though I still revered Shades of God. The electro stuff was way too un-challenging and quaint to my ear at the time. Of course as I started really developing an interest in black metal and, in particular doom which ended up opening the door to simpler structures again, along with a focus on vintage sounds, and more basic riffing styles, my tastes expanded much more. Now, twenty something years later I find myself kind of burnt out on the majority of modern stuff through my own over exposure, and I am seeking novelty in less abrasive sounds that still retain a sense of darkness and melancholy, so Host is ticking a lot of boxes. And yep, I find myself being drawn back to listen to that era of the band with fresh ears and a totally different (old and jaded) perspective. And I'm now bald, which possibly helps but might also be irrelevant.

QuoteNeurosis, Today is the Day, Pig Destroyer, Breach.

I hear you, I was on a similar path back then myself. It did take some time to get over the shock of the sound of Host given the fact I hold the earlier albums in similar regard. As I say if you're in that mode now give it a go.

I think Host is great. Symbol Of Life is another one I really like as well.

One Second was fine. Host didn't knock my socks off at the time and I've revisited it many times and still the same. Believe In Nothing is very weak and Symbol Of Life was when they started doing stuff by numbers. Their output since then has been a few bangers on each album but lots of filler.

I did give this new Host a spin and it's grand. Nothing earth shattering although I'm tempted to give it another few goes.

I've been far more interested in Greg's work on Vallenfyre and Strigoi

I liked Host.  It was a good album at the time.  Not heard this yet.   

Listened to a tune earlier. Certainly sounds like bargain bin DM. Ulver did it more convincingly.

#11 July 07, 2023, 04:46:13 PM Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 05:01:34 PM by Eoin McLove
Weird. I never even considered Ulver and I like some of their newer stuff.

The Assassination of Julius Ceasar and Flowers of Evil from what I've heard of them have a good bang of DM.

I haven't heard either of those albums. Must give them a blast. I really like Nick Holmes's voice on the Host album, which helps.

Yeah The Assassination of Julius Caesar is savage and does something similar to this again, Flowers of Evil didn't hit the spot for me though - more of the same but less inventive.