I'm still struggling through Watchers by Dean Koontz. It's just shite, I'm only going to finish it out of stubborness. I can only read it when I've had a drop, it tries my sober patience. Shoulda read it when it came out, my early teenage self would have lapped it up.

Lolita is indeed one of the best written books I've ever read. Incredible what he evokes with language, sometimes erudite, but just as often prosaic and instantly internalized.

"I was weeping again, drunk on the impossible past."

Even if you are not into autobiographies, I'd recommend this:
A Happy Odyssey - Adrian Carton De Wiart. His biography foreword is by Churchill and his life story is so amazing if it was made into a move you wouldn't believe it. Highly recommended for something different.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Odyssey-Adrian-Carton-Wiart/dp/1844155390/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1615157185&refinements=p_27%3ACarton+de+Wiart&s=books&sr=1-1

Ralph Ellison, invisible man

#754 March 16, 2021, 01:20:34 PM Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:30:18 AM by Carnage
Quote from: Carnage on February 15, 2021, 10:40:15 PMStarted Watchers by Dean Koontz the other night, just read a few pages.

Finally finished this bag of shite the other night. I won't be reading any more of his.

Gonna take the plunge into Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell next, I've had it on the shelf for a while.

I  know its not high brow stuff but i picked up the complete Sherlock Holmes collection, all books and short stories and i cannot put it down, highly recommend it

I've never read any of those. I will get around to them at some point no doubt

Well worth it, i think its very well written but im no academic 🤓

Finished Lolita and Edgewood on 'Montrose' this week.

The former is a unique read, beautiful and verbose, but accessible. Very smug at understanding all the French bits and in jokes :)

The Montrose, James Graham. Ah lads he was brilliant. The Kings Champion indeed.

Starting Ham's 'Hiroshima and Nagasaki' this evening to get out of watching some dreadful looking shite the bird has picked out to watch.

Quote from: Doctor Crippen on March 20, 2021, 06:22:18 PM

Sherlock Holmes is great, and if you want a fascinating multi-faceted delve into how that kind of detective story arose at much the same time as psychoanalysis and various other turn of the century things, there's an incredible essay called Signs, Traces and Clues by Carlo Ginzburg which you should check out. Proper head-trip historical considerations.

Edit: The English translation is called "Clues: Roots of a Scientific Paradigm."

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 20, 2021, 08:05:24 PM
Quote from: Doctor Crippen on March 20, 2021, 06:22:18 PM

Sherlock Holmes is great, and if you want a fascinating multi-faceted delve into how that kind of detective story arose at much the same time as psychoanalysis and various other turn of the century things, there's an incredible essay called Signs, Traces and Clues by Carlo Ginzburg which you should check out. Proper head-trip historical considerations.

Edit: The English translation is called "Clues: Roots of a Scientific Paradigm."

Cheers man, I will definitely look that up. Arthur Conan Doyle was certainly ahead of his times

I am not a huge fan of fictional work, well modern fiction more specifically, but Sherlock has gotten under my skin. I also bought the original version of Moby Dicky as in how it was written when it was first released, so I am moving onto that after Sherlock but I will definitely look up that essay, thanks.

On a Philip K Dick buzz right now. Read Ubik a month or so ago and am now reading The Three Stigmatas Of Palmer Eldridge. Any fans on here? I'm definitely gonna get more of his stuff

A Scanner Darkly and Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said are two of my favourites.

Quote from: Necro Red on March 26, 2021, 11:37:47 AM
On a Philip K Dick buzz right now. Read Ubik a month or so ago and am now reading The Three Stigmatas Of Palmer Eldridge. Any fans on here? I'm definitely gonna get more of his stuff

Only finished Do Androids Dream.. last week, mighty stuff. Love Flow My Tears.

Need to read more Philip K Dick myself. Ubik and the Exegesis are high on my "to-read" list.