I'm not for one minute suggesting that I'm a hero. All I'm saying is that somehow, miraculously, I made it to the end of book 2 of Jerusalem. What a slog. It seems to be paying off so far as book 3 is off to a great start.  8)

I finished up The Chrysalids. Very enjoyable stuff.

Next up... A Room of One's Own and Three Guineas by Virginia Woolf.

Jerusalem then Virginia Wolfe..are you reading or torturing yourself  :laugh:

I've never read anything by her and know nothing about her work. Only one way to find out!

Finished Blood Meridian which was a delightful carnival of total lunacy.

Quote from: open face surgery on February 09, 2021, 08:17:32 PM
Finished Blood Meridian which was a delightful carnival of total lunacy.

Did you say above it was your tenth time? Still on the first round here but I know I'll give it another go after this.

#726 February 09, 2021, 09:09:29 PM Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:11:05 PM by open face surgery
No, I started it countless times over a 10 or 12 year period but never stuck it out.

Quote from: open face surgery on February 09, 2021, 09:09:29 PM
No, I started it countless times over a 10 or 12 year period but never stuck it out.

Ah fair enough, I was thinking it was hardly 10. Good stuff.

Cunt of a fucking Jerusalem load of wank! 900 pages deep,  and it's finally picked up the pace,  and now the chapter I've begun is written entirely in gobbledegook gibberish. 50 plus pages of sheer and utter torture. If you read every cunt of a sentence three times, sometimes quickly,  sometimes painfully slowly to tease out the meaning you can get a sense of it but it's pushing me over the edge. I feel like catapulting the cunting brick of a thing into Alan Moore's spastic fucking face. I'm so far into the cunt that I can't possibly give up now. Do I skip this chapter and risk developing some kind of tick, do I slog through and risk punching a hole in the wall or do I finally snap and go Jihad some cunts... these appear to be my available options.

Take a break and read Finnegans Wake.

Finally eked out a bit of time to get properly started on Children of Dune and glad I did. Loving it so far, though only 50 pages in.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 15, 2021, 10:09:32 PM

Finally eked out a bit of time to get properly started on Children of Dune and glad I did. Loving it so far, though only 50 pages in.
I can't get into at all. I started it the other day for about the fifth time, put it down after the first two chapters and haven't gone back again. Might just start back with Dune and try plowing through them all in a row and not take a break between

I just fucking closed the cunt and put it back on the shelf. 890 pages and I couldn't go on. I was having a mental breakdown reading the fucking thing. What a complete load of pretentious, boring, self- indulgent shit. Did nobody edit the fucking thing? If he cut the entire second book down to one chapter and had 5 pages of this turgid gobbledygook I would happily recommend it to anyone to read,  despite the odd flaws that would still exist within the writing. It's just a total pile of shite and I think I was in massive denial about it. Painful stuff.

Quote from: Trev on February 15, 2021, 10:21:53 PM

I can't get into at all. I started it the other day for about the fifth time, put it down after the first two chapters and haven't gone back again. Might just start back with Dune and try plowing through them all in a row and not take a break between

I did that with the first three and it worked well. Yet to get back to the second three but I haven't been in the form for them lately.

Started Watchers by Dean Koontz the other night, just read a few pages.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 15, 2021, 10:06:54 PM
Cunt of a fucking Jerusalem load of wank! 900 pages deep,  and it's finally picked up the pace,  and now the chapter I've begun is written entirely in gobbledegook gibberish. 50 plus pages of sheer and utter torture. If you read every cunt of a sentence three times, sometimes quickly,  sometimes painfully slowly to tease out the meaning you can get a sense of it but it's pushing me over the edge. I feel like catapulting the cunting brick of a thing into Alan Moore's spastic fucking face. I'm so far into the cunt that I can't possibly give up now. Do I skip this chapter and risk developing some kind of tick, do I slog through and risk punching a hole in the wall or do I finally snap and go Jihad some cunts... these appear to be my available options.

:laugh:

Children is a great read. Flip I'm itching to read it again.