For me anyways In The Nightside Eclipse is the definitive black metal record. There are other hugely important albums for sure but the use of the Keys on Nightside give it a quality that has yet to be matched in my opinion.

Quotein my estimation it's a better and more important album than anything by Emperor

Strong statement, and depending on my humour on the day I could agree/disagree with that. I will agree though Mayhem's catalogue is largely a frustrating one with patches of brilliance here and there and they've never matched the atmosphere they conjured on DMDS

The only Mayhem I've heard is Ordo ad Chao and thought it was a bit shit so never bothered with anything else. Really should give DMDS a go at some point though

I'd be the same. In The Nightside and Under A Funeral Moon occupy that nostalgic teenage place that bands I heard since 2000 can't ever get to. European Legions is the first Mayhem album I owned. I was very much at the mercy of what appeared in the second hand store black metal wise. There was another record store that started picking carrying a lot of black metal in the late 90s too.

As was mentioned by the promoter a few pages back, this is the price point to make the show happen.

The debate over the ticket price will continue. I think everyone knows

- It's a rarity for them to play a show like this
- They must command top dollar for festival appearances
- It wasn't going to be twenty euro to see them play here
- Supply Vs Demand Vs Frequency of Touring

I don't think anyone's actually whingeing about the price, it's just an expression of surprise really. When the poster went up I immediately thought 45 euro or so (Maybe naivety on my part) but as others have posted I'd agree I would've paid 100 euro to see them and we've all picked up tickets, and if there was a second night I'd go again. It's just a mad concept - It's twice the price of a Mayhem ticket, and 25 more than it was to see Machine Head or Meshuggah in the same venue.

Never heard Anthems, never heard Prometheus, never heard DMDS... never heard Emperor full-stop. Jaysus, it's all comin' out in this thread!  :laugh:  :abbath:

And we're 10 pages in, yet I feel there's more distance to be covered.

I've never even heard of Metallica.

Listening to Anthems here now. It's high time I found a copy and acquainted myself with it properly.

Probably a very unpopular opinion but I find In The Nightside Eclipse extremely boring. Anthems Is where its at for me.

Have Live Inferno on a the moment, great album, nice mix of stuff, just a shame that the two shows setlists are nearly identical

I was lucky enough to be at both of those shows. The Oslo show was incredible.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on March 01, 2023, 12:44:30 AMThe funny thing is I have more nostalgia for ITNE having bought it in the mid 90s and I didn't get into DMDS until the mid 00s. I have listened to Mayhem more.

I didn't hear these albums when they were released. It was the late 90's when I met G. Blackheart and it was Darkthrone, Emperor, Mayhem, Satyricon, Gehenna even Primordial all at once.
I was floored by the intensity and also confused. I thought the tape was fucked when I put on Darkthrone.
Similarly I thought the tape was broken when I first listened to And Justice For All.
Point being the Emperor stuff was the one that clicked the most.
Having said that on a different day each of them shines more for me.
Pointless waffle from me.
On the ticket price; the basic cost was fairly on line with what I expected.
The booking, handling fees are shit.
Still paid it no bother.

Quote from: A.A.P on February 28, 2023, 05:58:09 PMIt's priced me out anyway. I'm not used to paying that for any metal band other than the likes of Maiden maybe or a festival.

Considering that your first post on this forum is in this thread, I'm guessing that you'd really like to see this band.
Do you not think that it's worth spending the extra 20-30 euros to see a show that may not happen here again?

They should have also done live albums for the Nightside and Anthems in full gigs. I saw at some of the Nightside shows they played Ancient Queen.

Emperor way more popular than Mayhem?

Not a chance. At least in BM circles 99.9% of listeners adore DMDS while maybe 50% like Emperor. Many of those only go as far as ITNE and at a stretch Anthems.

I just checked Spotify (not scientific I know, but just for reference) and yep, Mayhem have 3 times the listeners Emperor do.

I reckon Emperor is a band many general metalheads can get in to. Heavy, doom, trad etc heads. There is a definite accessibility there with the grandiose synth work of the early gear. Whereas Mayhem and DMDS is maybe more a purely black metal listeners album. And is black metal sonic perfection at that. I cannot believe some have never heard it and others rate the non DMDS higher than it  ???