Mekong Delta, Death Row, Paul Chain, Master's Hammer, Beyond Dawn, In The Woods, Fleurety... it's a veritable treasure trove of everything oddball!

#16 November 04, 2023, 03:19:04 AM Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 03:21:19 AM by Eoin McLove
I was listening to World Coming Down in recent days and it occurred to me that Kenny Hicky deserves a place in this thread. He's hardly enigmatic from a fan's point of view, but I think for any man to have the sheer fucking balls to sing alongside Pete Steele they deserve a huge amount of credit. He does well and his contributions are integral to the overall Type O experience, but when his vocal parts end and Steele comes back in, the depth and power of Steele's voice just take things to entirely new dimensions. Full marks to Hicky for having the neck or bloody minded foolhardiness or delusional ego to step up to the mic next to Steele!  8)

Hickey has a great set of pipes. His latest project with Kirk from Crowbar has him on lead vocals. He's an underrated guitarist too.

He's a talented dude no doubt about it, but I can't think of many or any singers within metal who could match ol' Pete for power.

#19 November 04, 2023, 03:56:46 PM Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 03:59:28 PM by DeadGoon
These were underrated after being classed as 'Christian Metal', but despite it all made top quality progressive thrash.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 04, 2023, 03:19:04 AMI was listening to World Coming Down in recent days and it occurred to me that Kenny Hicky deserves a place in this thread. He's hardly enigmatic from a fan's point of view, but I think for any man to have the sheer fucking balls to sing alongside Pete Steele they deserve a huge amount of credit. He does well and his contributions are integral to the overall Type O experience, but when his vocal parts end and Steele comes back in, the depth and power of Steele's voice just take things to entirely new dimensions. Full marks to Hicky for having the neck or bloody minded foolhardiness or delusional ego to step up to the mic next to Steele!  8)
Yeah he's essential but sort of overlooked a lot.  Class musician.  Both his vocals and guitar are excellent counterpoints to Steele's bass and vocals.  Some great examples of what you're saying too all over the catalog, a favourite being when Hickey's parts end on All Hallow's Eve, the Chorus shifts gears and Steele lets off that "sssssaint Lucifer..." - top class. 

Mike Clark. Most people talk about Rocky George when they refer to Suicidal Tendencies but Clarks right hand came up with most of STs most memorable riffs and he was an integral part of their peak sound. Granted he stuck around while they had turned to shit but for the most part he was a very positive presence

Eric Adams probably doesn't get the praise he deserves, his vocals are every bit as good as your Dio's, Dickinson's, or Halfords, and he's still sounding great in his 70s.

Guess it doesn't help that he's been in a band most people think is a bit of joke the last 30 odd years, and he's never done anything outside of Manowar which is a real shame

Quote from: The Great Cull on November 06, 2023, 02:46:18 PMMike Clark. Most people talk about Rocky George when they refer to Suicidal Tendencies but Clarks right hand came up with most of STs most memorable riffs and he was an integral part of their peak sound. Granted he stuck around while they had turned to shit but for the most part he was a very positive presence

Legend. Mark Dodson, the producer, said he was one of the tightest players he ever worked with.

Quote from: ochoill on November 06, 2023, 01:52:46 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 04, 2023, 03:19:04 AMI was listening to World Coming Down in recent days and it occurred to me that Kenny Hicky deserves a place in this thread. He's hardly enigmatic from a fan's point of view, but I think for any man to have the sheer fucking balls to sing alongside Pete Steele they deserve a huge amount of credit. He does well and his contributions are integral to the overall Type O experience, but when his vocal parts end and Steele comes back in, the depth and power of Steele's voice just take things to entirely new dimensions. Full marks to Hicky for having the neck or bloody minded foolhardiness or delusional ego to step up to the mic next to Steele!  8)
Yeah he's essential but sort of overlooked a lot.  Class musician.  Both his vocals and guitar are excellent counterpoints to Steele's bass and vocals.  Some great examples of what you're saying too all over the catalog, a favourite being when Hickey's parts end on All Hallow's Eve, the Chorus shifts gears and Steele lets off that "sssssaint Lucifer..." - top class. 

That we actually the exact part that inspired my post.

What about Fabian Wyrsch, the drummer from Bölzer? He maintains quite a low profile allowing Okoi to do most of the interviews. Most people when discussing Bölzer talk about the love/hate vocals and the riffs- maybe the concepts and lyrics (and artwork) too, but Fabian's drumming seldom gets more than a mention. I think his drumming is as essential as all of the other elements in making the band sound the way it does. From what I gather he is not a huge underground metal freak like Okoi is, but more of a classic rock guy. His drumming is super powerful and solid with an often tribal nature to the use of toms and adds thickness to the songs, filling in much of the space left absent by the bass void. His patterns are often quite primal or naive in the way they mirror the riffs, but if you had a more typical metal drummer shredding the kit the power would possibly be wiped out of the music.

I only caught bolzer live for the first time during the summer!,his drumming is something else alright!

Stephen Flynn, Atheist's drummer, wipes the floor with most of the "big" names in the genre, yet you never hear a peep about him.

He's a pretty nifty guitarist too.

Similarly, Steve Asheim from Deicide rarely gets due credit.

While on the drummer topic and despite what members of LOA and Type O Negative would say, Sal Abruscato brought a unique groove to both bands. Neither band managed to capture anything close once he was gone. This has been proven twice with LOA.