What an album. Or is it? Way too trebly.

The production gets on my nerves though. Tinny drums etc.

Some of the songs are outrageously good, others are pure pish. I dunno boyz...

I last listened to it in 2004, just before leaving for a two year stint down under. Could not make head or tail of it. Mind you I also said the same about Aeternus' first two albums and now they get regular spins on car journeys. Maybe I need to revisit Tara with a fresher and more open mind as from what I hear it's their greatest hour by a country mile.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on October 08, 2022, 12:00:41 AMWhat an album. Or is it? Way too trebly.

The production gets on my nerves though. Tinny drums etc.

Some of the songs are outrageously good, others are pure pish. I dunno boyz...

Hahaha it is a bit rattly, yeah. But yeah. Somehow it adds to the charm.

I strongly disagree with 'pure pish' but of course tracks like 'Stone of Destiny' or say 'Manannan' shine a bit more. I like Absu before and after but 'Tara' is the one.

Couldn't be without it.

#3 October 08, 2022, 04:56:47 AM Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 03:19:51 PM by Caomhaoin
Maybe 'pure pish' is a bit strong. There are weak tracks on that album though.

Tara is an amazing album a 10/10 but I still think The Sun of Tiphareth is the bands best. The only one I am not too big on is Abzu. The album from last year is up there as well. Great record and even sounds quite different to all the material that came before it.

Its the only album I ever had by them,think its great.

Always enjoyed Tara and more or less everything Ive checked out by them. For a different, but equally savage buzz, this has been my go to for the last while.

https://osmoseproductions.bandcamp.com/album/barathrum-v-i-t-r-i-o-l

Incredible album. Not a weak track on there. The trebly production only adds to those Slayer style riffs. All the remastered albums sound fucking terrible and are missing tracks here and there so avoid if possible.

Not a weak album from Absu either in fairness. Barathrum VITRIOL is probably their most underrated album. Like The Shadowthrone meets Soulside Journey. Everything else is a bit more alike sound-wise, but never gets boring. Class band.

Proscriptor and Equitant did a great podcast recently about the early days of the band. Can't remember the podcaster name for the life of me but a quick YouTube search will bring it up.

I dunno, take out 'she cries the quiet lake', 'stone of destiny' and 'manannan' and you're not left with much IMO. Granted those songs are absolutely incredible so it's a high bar.

The drumming is outrageous too. You'd have to be half mental to drum and sing, and he is a bit 'unusual' let's say.

I thought Abzu was class. Maybe wanes in the second half but great record.

Quality album. Don't recall ever having doubts about it myself either. Throwing it on my playlist for tomorrow anyway, been a year or so since last listen  :abbath:

The last great Absu album, but I agree with the comments on production. As a drummer, I am 100% sure the drums are heavily edited too.

My favourite Absu is "The Third Storm...", not a dull second in it, but anything Equitant made with Absu (and several of his countless projects) is gold. Once he left after Tara the songs got dull and more drums-based than riff-based. There's far too much credit given to Proscriptor, probably because of his personality and technique, and not much said about Equitant's ability to put good songs together.

In hindsight, they should have stopped after Tara. Too many bands wait until they are far into decay to call it over.