Ok, inspired by Andy McLove creating threads on forgotten underground bands I thought I'd chance a discussion on a scene always close to my stereo - the unfashionable, somewhat controversial, fascinating, raw, surprisingly large and extremely rewarding Polish Black Metal scene. To include all goods from the early days of the 90s up to the present!

Several bands have been touched on in various threads here, but a dedicated thread might make it a bit more navigable for those non initiates that are interested.

As a starting point.

OLD.
Graveland
Infernum
Veles

NEW.
Evilfeast
Stworz
Wedrujacy Wiatr

Discuss.

I'm not all that into the Polish scene. Graveland are OK,  Veles are muck- I only have Black Ravens Flew Again or something like that, but haven't listened to it in years. I can't comment on Infernum. I've listened to them but can't remember what they were like.

Mgła have a couple of cool albums- I think their earlier stuff is boring but With Hearts Towards None and the one after it are good. Cool live too but hugely to blame for the tights on head BM trend, which is an automatic turn off for me at this stage.

Evilfeast are deadly, simple as that. Not doing anything new and that suits me.

I tried Wejudracy Wiatr a couple of times but wasn't into them. Beautiful artwork, though.

The early Behemoth albums are supposed to be good but I haven't checked them out.

Sventevith is nothing short of amazing. Grom is killed too. They really had something with those early albums.

Must get on them and see if they work for me 

Graveland -up to and including creed of iron is great .
Kataxu -all
Gontyna kry -welowie and the first album can't be arsed to type the name
Thunderbolt

Was actually listening to graveland Carpathian wolves and thousand swords just now .thousand swords is a unique album  .kinda folk black 

Quote from: hellfire on September 29, 2022, 06:45:23 AMSventevith is nothing short of amazing. Grom is killed too. They really had something with those early albums.
Yup great albums.

The Polish Arkona have released some good albums over the years.

I have 'Roots Thunder' by Kataxu, I haven't Listers to it in a few years but I like it. Must revisit it soon. I bought the tshirt too which looks deadly but the little mention of the word Aryan on the backprint kind of put me off ever really wearing it that much  :laugh:

Are Gontyna Kry not more DM? I've Listers to them before but maybe I need to revisit them too.

#9 September 29, 2022, 11:10:41 AM Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 11:15:25 AM by Shitstirrer
Check out the gontyna kry wellowie MLP it's their best stuff .

Totally raw black metal with a weird sense if melody and kinda melancholic sounding

Quote from: Shitstirrer on September 29, 2022, 11:10:41 AMCheck out the gontyna kry wellowie MLP it's their best stuff .

Will do. Cheers.

Sacrilegium "wicher"

North "from the dark past"

Veles are great. Lots of good BM from Poland most of which I can't think of right now and some mentioned already.

Sunwheel (Last Kataxu wasn't great)
Cultes Des Ghoules - Best band to come out of Poland
Dark Fury
Ohtar

The Fullmoon demo is also great. One of the members does or at least did live in Dublin for a while.

Graveland's Celtic Winter is my favourite thing out of Poland after Kat's Metal and Hell. That demo is just perfect... Evilfeast is a direct reflection of that and he keeps on giving, while Graveland never really kept its own standards.

I think the Poles are great for Black Metal, not so much for any other styles.

Furia - Nocel and the CDG - Spectres over Transylvania are probably the best things to come out of Poland in more recent times.

Good to see Gontyna Kry mentioned, I should give this a spin again.