August 28, 2022, 12:02:43 AM Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 12:05:37 AM by ldj
Its Songs for the Deaf...

Just seen that this absolute classic turned 20 years old today. Debated posting this here or in the off-topic section but fuck it, it's heavy as fuck and kicks hoop. It's got everything you'd want from a great rock n roll album, Sabbath heaviness, Motorhead aggression, Tom Waits weirdness, three unique lead vocalists, and Dave Grohl where he belongs banging away on drums (dare I say the best thing he's put his name to?).

I don't mind some of the later stuff, Like Clockwork is a fantastic record, but they never quite captured the lightning in the bottle this album had, I sometimes stick on this bootleg from before the album came out with Homme, Oliveri, Lanegan and Grohl, the chemistry they had was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzMUZ0rt-5U

Their last good (not great) album, could have been 50% better without the DJ skits between songs. They've been shit since, but on that tour (saw them in the Ambassador) they were amazing.

Great album and agree they've been utter shit ever since. At the time, QOTSA said Grohl was putting FF on hold for a while to stay with them, which was rapidly denied. He did the Killing Joke album around the same time.

I saw Homme and Oliveri playing with Masters of Reality around this time too, fucking amazing. Chris Goss had produced Rated R and was still part part of the circle for SFTD. They were supporting Lanegan who, it must be said, was fucking terrible solo.