#675 June 25, 2020, 07:57:40 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:59:15 PM by mugz

#676 June 25, 2020, 08:06:44 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:59:49 PM by mugz

one good thing about metal is that by and large there's huge respect in the youngsters for the 80s and 90s styles of metal and an appreciation of the 60s and 70s rock and metal stuff too.
[/quote]

This is very true but metal attracts a more intelligent type of fan than techno/dance in fairness - thats something I've picked up being a frequenter of metal gigs as well as raves anyway .

#678 June 25, 2020, 10:05:02 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:00:02 PM by mugz

Both genres apparently see themselves as attracting enough "stupid" people for them to have each independently felt the need to christen a respective sub-genre in the most cringe-worthy way possible: "Intelligent Dance Music" and "Thinking Man's Metal"

:-X

Even since I was young I've had a loathing for techno/dance/whatever music. I find it way more upsetting than disinteresting. Perhaps being subjected to it everywhere in the 90's pissed me off. There are plenty of genres that I don't like and don't find aggravating.

Last couple of orbital shows I've been to had  crowds similar to the likes of an 80s metal band in that it's the young ones mixed with the older die hards.

Quote from: hellfire on June 25, 2020, 11:50:47 PM
Even since I was young I've had a loathing for techno/dance/whatever music. I find it way more upsetting than disinteresting. Perhaps being subjected to it everywhere in the 90's pissed me off. There are plenty of genres that I don't like and don't find aggravating.

It's like anything else you are not into really in that the stuff you are subjected to in general is the most popular selection of the style and isn't really representative of the interesting things being done within the confines of the given genre.

There are rakes of good things happening in techno/dance/whatever. I was allergic to the idea for a long time before I realised most people are just into shit things and it was being misrepresented to me.

Also there is no way that the dance crowd in general are more or less intelligent than the metal crowd. There are shit lads attached to all types of music and don't let it get in the way of finding the good things is what I guess I'm getting at.

Saying all that, I have bad feelings about a good few types of music so I'm contradicting myself as usual

#683 June 26, 2020, 10:33:00 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:00:39 PM by mugz

Ah jaysus no, Industrial is not shit at all. It furthers the point I was making that we are simply missing out on the good stuff in any genre we don't care to explore. For every Combichrist there is a Throbbing Gristle, and lo and behold the chances are that one would come across Combichrist sooner than TG if unwilling to put the effort in. Take Soul, for example: I have never heard any of it that I've ever enjoyed, but I bet it is there somewhere, waiting to be discovered and I never will but that doesn't mean it's actually shit

#685 June 26, 2020, 11:09:19 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:00:56 PM by mugz

I really like industrial. The idea of it more often than the actual tunes admittedly, but there is some truly transcendent stuff out there. A favourite of mine is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKHH-vXxSzo

Beautiful and disgraceful at the same time; it really pushes the idea of beauty and horror at once.

#687 June 26, 2020, 11:47:46 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:01:10 PM by mugz

#688 June 26, 2020, 11:51:10 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:01:21 PM by mugz

Lol you wouldn't be right from there on in! it's a sick cunt of a tune that almost flies in the face of music in general. I like some other NON stuff, but that is the pinnacle of his achievements right there