Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 19, 2020, 09:24:12 PM
Surely Far Beyond has the clickiest kick of any Pantera album...?

For sure, but those on TGST are still thin as fuck compared to everyone else  :laugh:

Quote from: Ducky on June 20, 2020, 10:36:40 AM
I'm in the Paul Baloff is unlistenable camp too, although he's not quite "Sean Killian should be shot into space for his crimes against music" bad.

See also - Don Doty.

Yeah, Killian is woeful too, I can't enjoy Vio-Lence at all as a result. Exodus have always had shit singers to be fair, I wouldn't be a far of the other two lads, but Dukes was the least shit of the three.

The exception to the rule for me is John Connolly. His voice really grates too, but I can't imagine Nuclear Assault with any other singer. Game Over is my (joint) favourite thrash album, despite him.

#632 June 20, 2020, 04:49:47 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:03:38 PM by mugz

#633 June 20, 2020, 05:01:29 PM Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:22:21 PM by Juggz
I had no idea it was held in such high regard.

#634 June 20, 2020, 05:38:05 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:03:50 PM by mugz

#635 June 20, 2020, 05:39:47 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:04:07 PM by mugz

#636 June 20, 2020, 05:48:15 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:04:18 PM by mugz

The Great Southern Trendkill is easily their best album.

Plus, it has that Ty Tabor-worship in the form of the Floods outro.

Speaking of Pearl Jam, although far from the best track on Grace, Eternal Life by Jeff Buckley is a better Pearl Jam song than any Pearl Jam song.

Quote from: Ducky on June 21, 2020, 12:03:36 AM

That outro is something else indeed. Whole song is great actually.

Speaking of Jeff Buckley, I had Grace in my hand the other day and put it back on the shelf. The only track I know is Hallelujah. Is that representative? Without putting myself through actually finding out like

This might actually be a controversial opinion but I don't get why everyone creams themselves over the outro riff in 'Floods'. The whole song is brilliant and the fade out riff is cool and atmospheric and all,  but hardly the highlight of the song. Several times when I've seen people comment on that part I've had to listen to it again to see if I'm missing a section or something.  Why is it so amazing to you all? I'm honestly (genuinely- genuwhinely even!) baffled by the inordinate praise.

Quote from: astfgyl on June 21, 2020, 11:29:25 AM
Quote from: Ducky on June 21, 2020, 12:03:36 AM

That outro is something else indeed. Whole song is great actually.

Speaking of Jeff Buckley, I had Grace in my hand the other day and put it back on the shelf. The only track I know is Hallelujah. Is that representative? Without putting myself through actually finding out like

There are other brilliant songs on 'Grace'. 'Hallelija' is overplayed to death (a great song none the less) but the likes of 'Lover You Should Have Come Over' leave it in the dust.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 21, 2020, 11:40:20 AM
This might actually be a controversial opinion but I don't get why everyone creams themselves over the outro riff in 'Floods'. The whole song is brilliant and the fade out riff is cool and atmospheric and all,  but hardly the highlight of the song. Several times when I've seen people comment on that part I've had to listen to it again to see if I'm missing a section or something.  Why is it so amazing to you all? I'm honestly (genuinely- genuwhinely even!) baffled by the inordinate praise.

It's only great in the context of what has come before. Taken as a loop on its' own it's just a nice piece of guitar plucking but the presentation is everything

Buy Grace next time you have the opportunity. Wonderful album.