Nick Tart didn't join the band 'til a good 24 years after that album was released, but it's a serious album alright.

Diamond Head have some great tunes, but they all sound so limp. Almost as if NWOBHM is glorified pub band shite...

Brave New World is a good album but people who think it's the best of the reunion albums are incorrect. DOD and AMOLAD are clearly superior in writing, arrangements, ideas, lyrics and production.

Also a fair bit of BNW is songs that were written for VXI (Blood Brothers and Dream Of Mirrors for example) and it's funny how people deny this while trashing VXI and worshipping BNW.

Quote from: Carnage on May 29, 2020, 10:13:15 AM
Nick Tart didn't join the band 'til a good 24 years after that album was released, but it's a serious album alright.

Oops  :-[
Original point still valid tho  :abbath:

Quote from: Ducky on May 29, 2020, 10:55:35 AM
Diamond Head have some great tunes, but they all sound so limp. Almost as if NWOBHM is glorified pub band shite...

This is typically the perspective of people who first knew of Diamond Head via Metallica's covers (i.e. most of us), in comparison to which the originals are neither as well produced nor as heavy. But if you spend time with the albums, and especially the tracks that weren't covered by Metallica, you'll find that, no, they're not glorified pub band shite, although they do have touches of Zeppelin and Whitesnake in there, no doubt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fPl4ZVkSfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOpHDRgbeIo
(Although, you'd be forgiven for thinking Seek & Destroy is a cover of this.)

And if you're generalizing from that and saying that all NWOBHM is glorified pub shite, please tell me what pub I can see stuff like this in:

https://youtu.be/MBBVzujDxzQ

Quote from: Ducky on May 29, 2020, 10:55:35 AM

I don't understand this and it makes me angry!! What part of Am I Evil sounds like glorified pub band shite? What even is glorified pub band shite!??

Angel Witch ain't pub rock either.  Or Apocalypse. Jameson Raid 50/50, but the good stuff is so good.

Witchfinder General anyone?

Lyrics are a bit ropey (gimme my beer!) but who cares, the tunes are class.

Yep. Pagan Altar and Venom came out of that era too, no?

Quote from: ldj on May 29, 2020, 05:31:40 PM
Witchfinder General anyone?

Lyrics are a bit ropey (gimme my beer!) but who cares, the tunes are class.

'Death Penalty' is a great album. Lyrics are daft alright but Sabbath had shite lyrics too.

Savage are another NWOBHM band that don't get mentioned enough . 'Loose 'N Lethal' is a cracker of an album, it still sounds raw as fuck.

I wonder if it's a generational thing? I'd find anything that inspired Metallica and Megadeth really easy to listen to. Diamond Head, plenty of NWOBHM. That said, plenty of it is of it's time. The punk comment above too, I'd regularly listen to the Ramones, Misfits, NY Dolls, Dead Boys, Stooges, Minor Threat etc etc..I don't see why anyone couldn't listen to any of them bands and just love the vibe off them. That said, there is other stuff from that time that has become probably cliché in terms of punk and I'd find it harder to listen to.

There's plenty stuff someone maybe 5 or 6 years older than me would go mad for like the Horslips maybe or certain stuff from the 60's that I'd have a hard time listening to, maybe because it was what was kind of going out of style when I was small. The Beatles I'd never listen to, but I love the Stones and Cream for example.

My point being, if you're maybe only around 30 and Cradle of Filth or Emperor or something like Nile was what you fell in love with, then I can see how maybe NWOBHM and stuff like Maiden or Priest can seem tame or a bit cliché or cheesy. However, if we were talking like in boxing of greatest pound for pound fighter of all time, what them bands did in their era was just mindblowing. Doesn't mean you have to like them, but in 50 years time they'll be the ones that are still being listened to.

Or maybe I'm wrong?

You're bang on, Pedrito.

The new stuff is nice to have but, if music stopped at the end of 1993, none of us would be any worse off.

I mean... Cradle of Filth? Have a long fucking talk with yourselves, lads, seriously.

#523 May 29, 2020, 09:38:19 PM Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:40:28 PM by Pedrito
 :laugh: I actually really like Dusk and her Embrace, but yeah, the old stuff is just so much more inventive and striving to not conform to it's own genre. I think the splitting down to minute fanny hair differences in genre was always going to happen but it reminds me of the way my uncle would talk about the blues. You had the original stuff and then it all got a bit snobby and up itself and if you didn't act a certain way or follow a certain way of going on then you weren't blues enough..all that oul waffle. It's like Behemoth in the other thread..jesus can you be any more predictable? That accepted way of being metal is just everything that metal was never meant to be
..ahh time to put the phone down  :abbath: