I'm not as big a stickler of production as some and in fact the production on Heretic adds to the brutality of it.

Maybe this should be renamed the 'differing opinions' thread.   :laugh:

I think Heretic is a decent album to be fair. I remember buying it when it was released many a moon ago.

Heretic is the first MA album I heard in its entirety as soon as it was released. Gateways and Formulas had pretty much passed me by, but I knew the first four well, Covenant and Domination inside out. Anyway, hated Heretic when we listened to it with a couple of mates that day and anytime I've gone back to double check, never gotten more than a couple of tracks in.

I've listened to Heretic once it was out and never went back to it...just never had the urge, but I detest Formulas with a passion. I have tried year after year to give it a go again and see if I'd develop a taste for it or even check if I wasn't missing something but I just can't stand the album... I don't mind Domination but after that MA just isn't for me.

I never listened to Heretic or Carcass's Swansong.
Formulas was given to me by somebody who hated it and I rarely listen to it. All those stupid drum things.
Domination is only alright and Covenant is the best.

Formulas an absolute beast of an album!, adore it.

Its between Covenant and BATS  for me,both unbelievable albums.

All that chanting and drum bongo bango stuff kills it though.
It's not very controversial though, just an opinion.

Everything up to and including Formulas is savage. No need for anything afterwards. Watched a live set from Roskilde on YouTube last week from the Heretic tour in 04, which was enjoyable. Saw them on that tour as well but no interest in the album.

I like Gateways a lot too,but everything before it is top drawer.

'Heretic' isn't as terrible an album as most would have you believe, picked it up on CD second hand for 6€ recently. Production is weird but so is BATS and I don't complain about that album at all. BATS is less experimental and strange I suppose. FFF is my favourite nowadays though, was overlooked by many for years but beginning to pick up  more fans as the years go by.

Formulas was the first MA I heard and will always be a top runner for me. The rankings tend to change from time to time. Been blasting Domination more than ever of late as well.

Ilud isn't anywhere near as bad as its reputation, I'd take it over Heretic or Kingdoms Disdained

And there it is, I was waiting for someone to go all in and play the Ilud card
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Yeah I was waiting for that too. I actually put it on last night because of this thread. I didn't hate it at the time but musically I was in a strange place back then. Couldn't listen to it now though.