August 05, 2022, 05:35:41 PM Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 05:43:37 PM by koper
Revisiting first four albums after long time. "De Profundis" is what's gotten me into metal. To this day I remember how blown away I was by this new, unknown style of brutal, "ambient" music (as I despised everything resembling conventional melody back then, as a typical house, tekkno dipshit).

To say that it holds up to this day is an understatement. I know a lot of folks have a problem with a "dry" production style, but really I can't imagine Vader albums no 2, 3 and 4 sounding any better than they already do.

Speaking of which, "Black to the Blind" and "Litany" slay as well. Both of them come really close to "De Profundis" in terms of quality, with "Litany" being maybe a bit closer to grind music when it comes to attaching name tags. And Yes, the industrial sound of a bass drum works perfectly within context of this type of short-outbursts-of-energy-tracks.

"De Profundis", "Black to the Blind" and "Litany" are nearly untouchable classics when it comes to death metal. These are facts.

Vader were always a band I put on the long finger until recently. I finally gave on to the unrelenting pressure from a Polish friend of mine and bought De Profundis. My god it's next level stuff altogether. I feel really thick for putting it on the long finger for so long.

Awful snare sound on that album, but the music holds up. And then everyone gives out about the bass drum sound on Litany but I quite like it.

Quote from: Carnage on August 05, 2022, 08:22:57 PMAwful snare sound on that album, but the music holds up. And then everyone gives out about the bass drum sound on Litany but I quite like it.

It works perfectly in my opinion. Also makes sense knowing that their late drummer was into electronic music and didn't really listen to metal.

Long time Vader fan here,since my teens in the mid 90s.De profundis is a classic,they kind of lost me somewhere around the late 2000s,but have went over a lot of the later stuff since.
They were absolutely on fire from Litany,Reign Forever world through to Revelations!,immense!.

Couldn't believe it that time they played Cork!!

They are a band I have completely ignored. I saw them live in the early 00s maybe? In The Shelter possibly... nothing I heard by them ever excited me but I know a lot of people really rate their early stuff so maybe I'll get around to it.

Yeah the Shelter, with Decapitated and Krisiun!,great fookin gig!

Yeah that sounds right. I remember seeing the Abaddon Incarnate release gig for Nadir in there one Saturday afternoon. Me, my then missus and around two other people in the venue  :o

Anyone remember Vader playing Waterford of all fucking places? It wasn't well advertised if memory serves me right.

Vader have always been the definition of c-tier to my ears. Nothing wrong as such, just wholly forgettable.

I'm about 20 minutes into De Profundis here and can't shake the "Dealz version of Slayer" from it.

Quote from: Ducky on August 09, 2022, 09:27:02 PMVader have always been the definition of c-tier to my ears. Nothing wrong as such, just wholly forgettable.

I'm about 20 minutes into De Profundis here and can't shake the "Dealz version of Slayer" from it.

Slayer's influence is quite obvious here, but also is merely a starting point.

I see "De profundis" as a logical expansion on Slayer's approach towards blunt, arbitrary choices in terms of "melody" and "harmony", and  towards more of "metronomic" type of work on the drums. It all flows seamlessly, driven by pure energy and will of admittedly narrowly specialized musicians. They are playing with forces of nature here, their approach could be seen as naive I guess, but that misses the point entirely.

What 'De Profundis" expresses as a whole is a collision between chaos and structure. And it's been achieved with 100% metal musical vocabulary.

Quote from: Necro Red on August 09, 2022, 10:10:47 AMAnyone remember Vader playing Waterford of all fucking places? It wasn't well advertised if memory serves me right.

I remember it. I was living in Portugal at the time though.

Quote from: Necro Red on August 09, 2022, 10:10:47 AMAnyone remember Vader playing Waterford of all fucking places? It wasn't well advertised if memory serves me right.
Was that a young fella promoting gigs down there at the time and he hadnt a clue what he was doing.?.Does that ring a bell with any of you?

That was a different lad. Not sure who did the Vader gig, but Matt from Irish Metal Promotion had long since burned his bridges with metal at that point.