sorry, double post.

I just take the oul' 'bag for life' out with me, seems to be the prop de jour. I live in Embajadores in Madrid which is a decent area, but just next door you have dodge city, LavapiƩs, so there are cops about at all times.

I haven't taken to wearing the mask myself but if they become mandatory then I will just take my medicine and wear it. The amount of people I see driving around on their own with them on is crazy. I presume the reason they aren't yet mandatory here is the issue of availability. The most interaction I've had with the gardai is being stopped on the way to work and they said "heading to work are you?" yeah i said, i have a letter here. "nah you're grand" and waved me on. It's a small town though.

#1398 April 29, 2020, 09:01:16 PM Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:04:55 PM by Kurt Cocaine
Quote from: astfgyl on April 29, 2020, 08:55:16 PM
I haven't taken to wearing the mask myself but if they become mandatory then I will just take my medicine and wear it. The amount of people I see driving around on their own with them on is crazy. I presume the reason they aren't yet mandatory here is the issue of availability. The most interaction I've had with the gardai is being stopped on the way to work and they said "heading to work are you?" yeah i said, i have a letter here. "nah you're grand" and waved me on. It's a small town though.
Same here. Once you start lifting the work letter up off the seat/dash they just wave you on. Grand job.
We'll all have to wear those masks when everyone is back in work from next Tuesday. Just the way it is for now, oh well.

People who pronounce the word category as KA-TAG-EREY

It bothers my ears!! 

STOP IT!  :abbath:

The boss told me we have a zoom meeting this evening about how we are to mark the kids as we aren't going back to work until September. I got an email with this information yesterday, so I'm at a loss as to the point.

I've mentioned this before, but I heard it on two separate occasions yesterday - the expression 'bat shit crazy'. Drives me bananas. What is the point of this and what idiot coigned it? 'Batshit crazy'. The fuck does that even mean. Number one pet peeve of mine, at least if the verbal variety.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on April 30, 2020, 04:29:58 PM
The boss told me we have a zoom meeting this evening about how we are to mark the kids as we aren't going back to work until September. I got an email with this information yesterday, so I'm at a loss as to the point.

Not back til September, Kev? That official?

Off the record, they told us last week. 'Doesn't mean you can just go on the piss for four months' etc. The kindergarten will open beforehand, but secondary and primary at home until September. The problem is the ones doing state exams. The government has said they will go ahead, but it's nearly impossible to prepare them remotely. It's inevitable that they will not have enough instruction. I find it very hard to get to them all in a 40 minute zoom session.

I think it comes from the fact that bats are a vector for rabies, bat guano (literally their shit) was (is?) used as a fetilizer and it was thought that this was how people contracted it (since proven not to be the case), with going crazy being one of the symptoms of rabies.

Quote from: Aborted on April 30, 2020, 04:13:22 PM

It bothers my ears!! 

Con-trov-ersy
Med-sin
Veh-icle

There are hundreds of these that drive me nuts.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on April 30, 2020, 05:19:17 PM
Off the record, they told us last week. 'Doesn't mean you can just go on the piss for four months' etc. The kindergarten will open beforehand, but secondary and primary at home until September. The problem is the ones doing state exams. The government has said they will go ahead, but it's nearly impossible to prepare them remotely. It's inevitable that they will not have enough instruction. I find it very hard to get to them all in a 40 minute zoom session.

They seem to be mainly focused on the Leaving Cert here, and rightly so, so I dunno how much discussion has gone into planning for Primary to come back. September seems logical, but it also seems very far away under the current confines.

Quote from: Ducky on April 30, 2020, 05:24:53 PM
I think it comes from the fact that bats are a vector for rabies, bat guano (literally their shit) was (is?) used as a fetilizer and it was thought that this was how people contracted it (since proven not to be the case), with going crazy being one of the symptoms of rabies.

You are better informed than me. Nevertheless, I get the heeby jeebies when I hear it. Like 'ya he rocked up in a river island shirt'.

'He rocked up'. Ah here, fuck off.

Quote from: Aborted on April 30, 2020, 04:13:22 PM

It bothers my ears!! 

There are 2 in particular that I hear every day, but they aren't so much pronunciations as they are simple refusal to read things.

SolFadeine even though there is a clear P in the word and no F

Ibrufen, which completely disregards the PRO in the middle of the name.

Another one is VoLka rather than using the D in the middle of the word for guidance.

I don't bother correcting anyone but it stings me a little each time.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on April 30, 2020, 05:33:51 PM
Quote from: Ducky on April 30, 2020, 05:24:53 PM

You are better informed than me. Nevertheless, I get the heeby jeebies when I hear it. Like 'ya he rocked up in a river island shirt'.

'He rocked up'. Ah here, fuck off.

Everything has an origin, doesn't negate how we feel about it. I understand how the confusion of people saying "would of" came about, but every time I see it I shudder.

I read somewhere that it's just one of those phrases that has an animal assigned to it - like something being a load of bull, someone being a chicken, someone going ape, etc. with the "shit" suffix used as an intensifier.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on April 29, 2020, 08:24:11 PM
I just take the oul' 'bag for life' out with me, seems to be the prop de jour. I live in Embajadores in Madrid which is a decent area, but just next door you have dodge city, LavapiƩs, so there are cops about at all times.

The wife is from Esperanza, two minutes from the palacio de hielo, over run with cops and military