Few others were

Barnstormers
The attic (upstairs in the white horse)
Charlies
The old china man

#16 October 10, 2021, 09:08:35 PM Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 09:16:44 PM by Makeshiftatomsmasher
Outside of Dublin, there have been gigs in Scout Hall in Greystones and I saw Hero dishonest / The Dagda/ Easpa Measa in a creche in Kilcoole

Also, wasn't there gigs in a gaelteacht in/outside Galway? As well as The warehouse in Galway.

Quote from: Doctor Crippen on October 10, 2021, 06:35:11 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 09, 2021, 10:43:57 PM
The Pint was probably my favourite venue in Dublin. Perfect size, usually a great sound and many fun nights had in there watching a lot of excellent bands.

My first punk gig was in 96. I heard about it on the Metal Show; it was a launch gig for the Striknien DC/ Monkhouse split CD and in was on in the "Ormond Multimedia Centre". There was going to be a skateboarding exhibition at it and all! To my tender 14 year old imagination this was going to be like the Irish version of the Vans Warped Tour that I had seen photos of in magazines. So my dad brought me and a couple of mates to it on a Sunday night.

We get to the "Ormond Multimedia Centre" which sounded like an important venue for the arts but actually turned out to be the dingy basement floor of an old abandoned hotel  :laugh: the skateboarding exhibition was three or four lads going up and down ramps that were so small you could daintily step over them without spilling your Coke!

So on those fronts my expectations were quickly dashed but the important part, the music, was fucking savage. That split CD remains one of my favorite albums.

I don't know if that place was used much for gigs or not as that was the only time I was there but it certainly left its mark on my memory.

The ormonde multimedia centre was an old print works, the machinery cogs were still attached to the ceilings 😂 the lads from Bambi made the ramps i think, it was a great gig and that cd as you said is class, Monkhouse were an amazing band 🤟🤟

Those details about the venue have either fallen out of my memory over the years or I just didn't notice them at the time!

They also had rehearsal rooms upstairs above the venue which were good, reasonably priced and a great crew of guys in hand to help with set ups, ive great memories of the place

Slattery's in Capel St. had some great gigs upstairs, no idea whether it's still the case. Last I heard it had gone upmarket and was a wine bar?

I remember a Ruts tribute compilation launch being a good night there, also saw (The) Fifth Dominion / Arcane Sun there among others. Smiley Bolger doing the door on occasion.

Quote from: Doctor Crippen on October 11, 2021, 06:41:25 PM
They also had rehearsal rooms upstairs above the venue which were good, reasonably priced and a great crew of guys in hand to help with set ups, ive great memories of the place

I always remember it as being where the long abandoned Ormond Hotel was on Ormond quay. Am I inventing that?

The ormond hotel was further down the quays towards Heuston, the ormonde multimedia is the site of the morrison hotel

Quote from: Carnage on October 11, 2021, 06:52:16 PM
Slattery's in Capel St. had some great gigs upstairs, no idea whether it's still the case. Last I heard it had gone upmarket and was a wine bar?

I remember a Ruts tribute compilation launch being a good night there, also saw (The) Fifth Dominion / Arcane Sun there among others. Smiley Bolger doing the door on occasion.

Am i imagining or did the grattan on capel street do gigs as well?

I was never there for one but then I only lived in Dublin from the mid '90s to the early '00s, and went to gigs there intermittently before then, so it might well have done before my time.

Quote from: Doctor Crippen on October 11, 2021, 07:56:18 PM
The ormond hotel was further down the quays towards Heuston, the ormonde multimedia is the site of the morrison hotel

Aaahhhh. I'll have to Google the Morrison now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/dublin-s-north-quays-then-and-now-in-photographs-1.3411527

This Irish Times article from a few years back shows the Ormond quay and details some of the old buildings along it - including the the building that the Ormond centre was in (I think). Source pic appears to be from circa 1991 - Still has Ormond Printing Co. On the facade.

I have very hazy memories of the place. For some reason my memory has it a yellow colour outside? I remember walking in the door of the place which was probably late 1995 or so. But no memory otherwise. I think a friends band may have been rehearsing there of something...

Quote from: Makeshiftatomsmasher on October 10, 2021, 09:14:38 PM
Also, wasn't there gigs in a gaelteacht in/outside Galway? As well as The warehouse in Galway.

I was at a gig in an Irish language club/centre in the middle of Galway one night alright. Can't remember the name of it or who played.

I was also at some warehouse a little bit outside the city to see Monarch I think it was another night

Was the Galway venue áras na ngael by any chance? There was also the basement of the cellar bar, which was (is?) a cool spot for gigs.

As a young lad I once played at a gig in Athlone in a gym that was part of a funworld leisure centre. Wooden floor and stage on one side, treadmills on the other.

Have to mention the great Bakers Place in Limerick as well of course. Was some spot. Could smell the smoking area from the train station.

Quote from: Slaughterday on October 12, 2021, 05:00:41 PMWas the Galway venue áras na ngael by any chance? There was also the basement of the cellar bar, which was (is?) a cool spot for gigs.

That was the Áras alright. Not sure about the Cellar, I think gigs have moved from there to Seven, used to be The Living Room.

Richardson's at the top of Eyre Square had a few great gigs upstairs, as did An Pucan around the corner - I saw Coldwar headline a fest there back in the day, and unfortunately missed Sunn 0))).

Sally's is still a venue occasionally, or was before covid.