Your King Diamonds, your Warrel Danes, your Attilas; what other vocalists are there in metal who really go heavy on the amateur dramatics with their vocals?

#1 September 17, 2021, 08:50:57 AM Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:24:09 AM by Eoin McLove
Garm, particularly on 'Vargnatt' when he attempts to do opera. It's ludicrous. I love it.

Ha, yeah, those thin operatic attempts are, if nothing else, extremely unexpected on first listening.

#3 September 17, 2021, 09:22:51 AM Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:24:30 AM by Eoin McLove
What about Lee Dorrian on the Cathedral demo and 'Forest of Equilibrium'. Could his dying metal vocals- not exactly death metal, but more than one foot in the grave, let's say- sound really cool. I can't think of anyone that sounds like that. Not tuneful exactly, not full on growly, it sounds theatrical to me.

Definitely Garm on the early Ulver, Arcturus and Borknagar records. Was listening to the Olden Domain the other night, good example of it.

Early era Garm takes a bit of getting used to, or did for me working backwards from the more accomplished delivery on 'The Sham Mirrors'. Once it clicks, though... magic.

Plenty in BM. Mark of the Devil of CdG and Kark of Dodsengel come to mind.

Yeah, CdG definitely fit the bill. Dodsengel not a band I know very well, must have a dive.

Wouldn't have thought of Lee Dorrian. Even in some of the later, more twee stuff, he definitely makes use of theatrics to make up for the fact that he's a god awful melodic singer.

Jason McMaster, especially on the Howling Sycamore stuff

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 17, 2021, 10:59:56 AM
Yeah, CdG definitely fit the bill. Dodsengel not a band I know very well, must have a dive.

Wouldn't have thought of Lee Dorrian. Even in some of the later, more twee stuff, he definitely makes use of theatrics to make up for the fact that he's a god awful melodic singer.

Technicality certainly wouldn't be the boul Lee's strong point, but I really love his vocals on Forest... so croaky,  unusual and perfectly imperfect!

Quote from: open face surgery on September 17, 2021, 10:47:23 AM
Plenty in BM. Mark of the Devil of CdG and Kark of Dodsengel come to mind.

Defo Mark of the Devil. Great theatrics in his delivery.

Halford has to be up there for theatricality. He still has the chops too considering his age

Halford is one of my favourite vocalists of all time, and full of passion and histrionics. But, to my ears anyway, it's not theatre that he brings to the music, not in the embodying different characters kind of way that I had in mind anyway. Like, Halford is a "better" vocalist than King Diamond, but King Diamond is far more theatrical.

Bethlehem have just sprung to mind as a band who managed to get their hands on several extreme theatrical vocalists over the years. Competitive levels of theatrics on some of their material!

If you start going down the Silencer route it might end up going out the far side of theatrical and into hysterical and samey... What about the mighty Franta Storm! Kind of sing- song grimness. Winner.