Chris Barrie - Famous for playing Arnold Rimmer in Red Dwarf. He is great in that role and I also liked the other Comedy he was, "The Brittas Empire" where he played the insufferable Gordon Brittas head of a Leisure Centre. He did many voices for Spitting Image are well and also read some of the Red Dwarf books for Audio Books and did the whole crews voices.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

He's so funny in that episode of Black Adder he appears in too. His French accent is both very accurate and pure mockery :)

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 15, 2021, 05:17:15 AM
He's so funny in that episode of Black Adder he appears in too. His French accent is both very accurate and pure mockery :)

:laugh: Yeah he's great.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

#18 July 15, 2021, 09:02:35 AM Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:06:55 AM by leatherface
Speaking of 'Red Dwarf', did anyone see that recent movie special they did called 'The Promised Land'? Any use? The problem I had with Red Dwarf was that at some point it stopped being a comedy series and started taking itself too seriously as sci fi, I remember bailing out of it at that point.

Quote from: Carnage on July 10, 2021, 08:55:17 AM
See also: Eddie Marsan.

Eddie Marsan is excellent.

Have you seen him in Mike Leigh's "Happy-Go-Lucky"? Pathetic and terrifying in equal measure.

That mention of Marsan, purely on a physical basis, made me think of Stephen Graham and his utterly incredible turn in The Virtues. Again, seriously unmissable stuff that, whether for the acting (his and others in it deliver, dare I say it, transcendent performances) or the direction and how the story is unfolded.

Stephen Graham is an unbelievable actor. His American accent isn't great, but I'm the This is England saga, he was head and shoulders above the others.

'

#22 July 15, 2021, 09:57:04 AM Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:00:33 AM by Carnage
Agreed. I watched the first episode of The Virtues and couldn't face continuing it. That episode was bleak enough, and from the looks of things it got worse before it got better. Frame of mind thing, I'll get to it eventually.

Haven't seen Happy Go Lucky, I'll look out for that. As we're talking about Eddie Marsan, it brings me to Tyrannosaur - he's great in a bastardly supporting role, but Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman knock it out of the park as the leads. I suppose you couldn't call an Oscar winner underrated, but she deserves a mention here, she's brilliant.

Eddie Marsan and Stephen Graham are the business.

Jaysus Mullan is another one. Savage actor.

Mentioned in the film thread. Paddy Consadine. Hilarious in Hot Fuzz, terrifying in Dead Mans Shoes.

In a contrasting note, some of the lads who got famous out of love/hate 😳😳😳😳😳

Rubbish acting in parts.

Inspired by a diversion in another thread, I think Ray Meagher more than deserves his mention in here. You may not know the name, but if you Google him you'll see he's one of those, "Of course, him! Lord and saviour of the small screen!" guys.

Small but memorable part in Breaker Morant (which is an excellent film), as well as the obvious.