Film thread aside, always a good conversation.

I'll start, Michael Smiley. Always a good shift in most of what he's in. Can be the straight man or comedic. Regardless of what he's in always good to see him show up.

David Thewlis when he's not in Hollywood, watch Naked for a serious performance.

I always thought Krister Henriksson was great as Wallander in the Swedish TV series. It's all I've seen him in but he was wonderfully understated in the role.

Quote from: Carnage on July 10, 2021, 12:12:37 AM
David Thewlis when he's not in Hollywood, watch Naked for a serious performance.

Yep he's immense in Naked. He's not so much a lead these days. Would like to see him do another unhinged character.

Another one before the night ends, Toby Jones. Not always a main but very talented. (Funnily enough he appears in Naked for 60 seconds)

Toby Jones is great. The scene in Detectorists when he's looking for the squirrel in the apartment is phenomenal.

He's great in Berberian Sound Studio. Another English actor who's at his best in low-key roles. See also: Eddie Marsan.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 10, 2021, 03:22:45 AM
Toby Jones is great. The scene in Detectorists when he's looking for the squirrel in the apartment is phenomenal.

Aye it's unreal. That show is fantastic television.

Amazing show all round, yeah.  Barberian was fantastic too.

Need to check out that show, I like Mackenzie Crook a lot too.

Yeah Jones is brilliant in Berberian Sound Studio, and plays a great Hitchcock in The Girl.

He's excellent in Tale of Tales too, which is overall just a fantastic movie if anyone hasn't seen it.

I've just seen 'Split' for the first time and been absolutely floored by James Mac Avoy's performance. Never really noticed/rated him before but that was something special. Anna Taylor Joy was superb in it too.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

The performances from Keisha Castle Hughes and Cliff Curtis in 'Whale Rider' are outstanding.

The latter used to be a great stand in Mexican in other shows, he can probably still get away with it as he's a Maori and not a blue-eyed Devil. Antonio Banderas can forget about it now though.

Shea Whigam - you might not know his name but Google it - he's one of those "Oh... that guy!" guys. Still amazed that he has never had a leading role.

Michael Shannon. As intense as early days De Niro. He's incredible in "The Iceman". He's great in comedies too.

Walton Goggins. Always watchable - bit of mid-period Jack Nicholson about him. Ditto his "Justified" co-star Timothy Olyphant.

Elliott Gould. Not underrated but perhaps slightly forgotten when we talk about acting greats - I can watch anything with him in it from the 60s/70s.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 14, 2021, 04:06:48 PM

Walton Goggins. Always watchable - bit of mid-period Jack Nicholson about him.

Ya  he's great. Equally adept at comedic or dramatic roles.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 14, 2021, 04:06:48 PMMichael Shannon. As intense as early days De Niro. He's incredible in "The Iceman". He's great in comedies too.

Take Shelter, that's the one to watch.